Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Like Tree527Likes

Thread: Political Correctness Gone Mad

Yes the Chinese don’t like anyone to voice the idea that the ‘One Belt One Road’ initiative is really about creating a conduit for the Chinese army so that it can more easily threaten India and annex Bhutan.
    1. Len Hutton 2. Jack Hobbs 3. Walter Hammond 4. Peter May 5. Ken Barrington 6. Denis Compton 7. Alan Knott 8. Hedley Verity 9. John Snow 10. Fred Trueman 11. Sydney Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Mm, I don't agree, but that's because my problem with Chinese censorship is less the corroding of free speech at universities and more the potential political effects that it could have when it comes to how we respond to what is quite frankly imperialist behaviour. So it's stuff particular to China and its pushing of nationalism overseas.
    The problem with Western Liberal ideology is that it truly believes that Nationalism will magically disappear across the globe if Western countries cease to be Nationalistic. However, all this does is to allow and encourage the worst kind of Imperialism by States who donít give a damn about falling in-line behind Liberal ideals. China is a classic example.

The only way to contain the worst excesses of Imperialism is by fostering Ďbenign Nationalismí within Western democracies.
    Last edited by watson; 03-10-2017 at 04:50 AM.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Real question is what happens after you are accepted and have a kid with a massive schlong.
    You're given a posting as local priest.
    Anil likes this.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I agree, although teaching your dog this is pretty Sieg.
    vcs and Anil like this.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    The problem with Western Liberal ideology is that it truly believes that Nationalism will magically disappear across the globe if Western countries cease to be Nationalistic. However, all this does is to allow and encourage the worst kind of Imperialism by States who don’t give a damn about falling in-line behind Liberal ideals. China is a classic example.

The only way to contain the worst excesses of Imperialism is by fostering ‘benign Nationalism’ within Western democracies.
    How does benign nationalism contain imperialism with respect to Western democracies?

I think he may have a point but I think Russia would be a better example to use. China simply seems to be setting itself and its constituents up financially - which yes can be an exploitative process but isn't necessarily exploitative and also doesn't necessarily rely on corruption or anything nefarious; in other words, their efforts don't seem to be far beyond the scope of a particularly large retirement fund. I mean sure there are specific cases to argue e.g. Tibet etc and this is not to denigrate any human rights violations or whatever, but the overall point stands, IMO.

Russia is a different story entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Okay well maybe the point is lost on me.

I'm still struggling to figure out what nationalism within western democracies has to do with Chinese or Russian imperialism in the first place.

vcs
    Everyone else being too PC and Liberal is allowing Russia and China to do whatever the **** they want.

Or something like that.
    hendrix likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I think he may have a point but I think Russia would be a better example to use. China simply seems to be setting itself and its constituents up financially - which yes can be an exploitative process but isn't necessarily exploitative and also doesn't necessarily rely on corruption or anything nefarious; in other words, their efforts don't seem to be far beyond the scope of a particularly large retirement fund. I mean sure there are specific cases to argue e.g. Tibet etc and this is not to denigrate any human rights violations or whatever, but the overall point stands, IMO.

Russia is a different story entirely.
    This only becomes convincing if you ignore 2500 years of Chinese history and the extremely liberal definition its central government, in all iterations, has taken of what constitutes "China".
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by Munificent_Fool View Post
    Okay well maybe the point is lost on me.

I'm still struggling to figure out what nationalism within western democracies has to do with Chinese or Russian imperialism in the first place.

In case you haven’t noticed China is slowly ****ing Australia up the arse because that’s what Imperial powers do. Keating god love him allowed the Chinese plutocracy unfettered access to the Australian economy and society and now we are paying the price for it.

A Nationalistic government who instinctively understands that all Imperial powers are inherently racist would have minimised our exposure to China during the 90s and instead broadened a trade with other countries. Turnbull is now frantically trying to increase ties with India, Europe and the US but it is too late. The economy is shot and there’s nothing we can do about it because China has us by the balls.

China's influence in Australia is not ordinary soft power

China's influence in Australia is not ordinary soft power | afr.com
    Last edited by watson; 09-10-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Man you try and make a point and watson strolls in and makes it all ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    In case you havenít noticed China is slowly ****ing Australia up the arse because thatís what Imperial powers do. Keating god love him allowed the Chinese plutocracy unfettered access to the Australian economy and society and now we are paying the price for it.

A Nationalistic government who instinctively understands that all Imperial powers are inherently racist would have minimised our exposure to China during the 90s and instead broadened a trade with other countries. Turnbull is now frantically trying to increase ties with India, Europe and the US but it is too late. The economy is shot and thereís nothing we can do about it because China has us by the balls.
    Yeah cause that really qualifies as "the worst excesses of imperialism."

There is a real lack of a sense of proportion in what's argued by some people on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Munificent_Fool View Post
    Yeah cause that really qualifies as "the worst excesses of imperialism."

There is a real lack of a sense of proportion in what's argued by some people on this forum.

I have never strained at the minutae of definitions because that’s not what writing and expression is all about. I leave the ridiculous Nth degrees to the lawyers and law makers.

It’s a forum so live a little, read between the lines and try and work out what the author is really trying to say.

Neither do I make any apologies for speaking through my emotions and using some hyperbole.

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Dove says it deeply regrets 'racist' Facebook advert | The Independent

Probably all seen the backlash about the advertisement. I don't think any harm was meant, but find it utterly hilarious that highly paid people looked at the final cut and thought

"its 2017, that definitely won't annoy anyone, go for it!"

It was like a little slice of time travel.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread Information