Page 299 of 301 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301 LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 4513
Like Tree2303Likes

Thread: Political Correctness Gone Mad

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    You realise Paul Joseph Watson and Richard Spencer are two different people right?
    Thank you, Ausage. I am aware of that, however, I would always defer to your very thorough knowledge of that end of the political spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The fact youíre prepared to entertain anything from a piece of human garbage like Spencer and his ilk says how broken youíve become.
    Iím not entertaining anything from anyone.

Richard Spencer I have no time for. I donít believe Iíve ever defended him, I have no common ground with him that I know of and no interest in anything he has to say.

Paul Watson I am relatively ambivalent towards but even then I wasnít defending him per se. My point was simply that the tweet you posted was out of context, and that he wasnít actually saying what he appears to be if you look at in isolation.

Given I went onto say he was using this to draw an analogy with a very bad take, I really donít know what youíre trying to prove here.

I am sorry to break this to you, but not subscribing to a centre left world view doesnít make one a Nazi. Go have a look in the political spectrum thread at how far away from fascism I land.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Canít agree with this tbh. You hold supremacist views or subscribe to a Nazi ideology, you donít get points for holding the door open for someone on your way into the branch meeting. It doesnít work that way imho.
    I think you're on a dangerous path if the speaker of the words means more to you than the words themselves

Don't take this as a defence of Richard Spencer though

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    I think itís far more dangerous to mainstream these ****s and speak politely to them like their views are worth listening to. Words arenít spoken in a vacuum.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1127298608146059273

This is dire. Weinstein is trash, but everyone is entitled to defense.
    Prince EWS and Flem274* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post

I wonder how many of them voted for Hillary Clinton.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Trump was elected in 2016 and the federal voting age is 18. Considering these are undergraduate students we're talking about here I'd say..... very few.

The article in the Harvard Crimson doesn't exactly paint him and his wife in a positive light. Removing him as house Dean is one thing but they've removed him as faculty Dean too. There's more to it than who he's representing I'm backing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post

No one is entitled to a job at Harvard though?
    Anil likes this.

For lack of a better place, I think this fits here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/u...gtype=Homepage

I don't necessarily disagree with Harvard's decision, but at the same time I fully believe it's possible to make horrible racist shock-jokes as a stupid teenager, and then look back on that behaviour with regret and embarrassment. I did it myself. I also think the timing of this is really vindictive - if this was so upsetting and an indication of a genuine moral defect in his character, why wasn't this brought up with his high school?

All in all, this just makes me reeeeeaaaaally glad that twitter wasn't around when I was in high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Stupid comments, but it's pretty clearly political to an extent. Doubt those remarks see the light of day if he was just another gun control advocate.

This endless drive to dig up every single inch of every vaguely political actor's past and irradiate it is not going to end well.
    OverratedSanity and hendrix like this.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une rťvolution sans rťvolution?

Incidentally, SCOTUS quietly made a ruling today that basically said that, no, just because you run a public forum (whether you are some random NYC radio station or, well, Twitter) you are not the state and thus you are not bound by the First Amendment with regards to content moderation.
    Last edited by Spark; 17-06-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Incidentally, SCOTUS quietly made a ruling today that basically said that, no, just because you run a public forum (whether you are some random NYC radio station or, well, Twitter) you are not the state and thus you are not bound by the First Amendment with regards to content moderation.
    How was this even remotely in question? It literally starts with "congress shall make no law" ffs.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    How was this even remotely in question? It literally starts with "congress shall make no law" ffs.
    You say that, but there's still a significant faction of conservatives up to and including several Senators (and, well, Trump) who argue that the government has the right to enforce "neutral" content moderation on Facebook and Twitter.

It is a little more complex than just "you're a private company and thus the government has no right to demand that you take no action with regards to motivated content moderation outside the scope of the law" wrt 1A I think; IIRC early phone companies were forced to comply with such demands because they were monopolies and thus any restrictions they made were de facto restrictions on speech. Certainly that wouldn't apply to social media though; no sane person not infected with a heavy dose of partisan motivated reasoning could argue that Twitter is a "power traditionally reserved for the government", as per the ruling.

The actual ruling is actually more interesting than this, as is the dissent, as it makes the point that this particular circumstance wrt MNN really does make it look like MNN is acting as a direct agent of the state; it really is the NYC local government who is proving the service and they basically just delegated it to a private actor. The majority opinion, though, makes it pretty clear what SCOTUS thinks about the "argument" going around conservative circles now that Twitter isn't allowed to ban anyone it likes for any reason.
    Last edited by Spark; 17-06-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Thread Information