Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: 2017 NZ General Election

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

2017 NZ General Election

September 23.

Moving Arden into deputy position has gotten me a lot more interested in the current Labour party. Good move IMO. Will be interested to see if we see much more change in the party.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

Don't see this one being close. All the recent polls have shown the Nats to be pretty steady in the high 40's while Greabour hang back at 40. Winston once again looking likely to hold the balance of power, and I'm sure he'd prefer to be the only coalition partner in a Government. He hates the Greens and has historically tended to side with the party that wins the most votes.

However, Labour's done absolutely the right thing in promoting Arden to deputy. That way they can start readying things for her to take over if (as appears likely) things don't turn out the way they hope in September. Genuine coalition partnerships (unlike the faux-alition govts of the 8 years) never tend to do very well as they get rapidly pulled apart by their own irreconcilable differences. That'll create fertile ground for a Labour resurgence and Arden would be in the box seat to win in 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricketer Of The Year straw man's Avatar

Couldn't Winston theoretically become prime minister if he sided with Labour/Greens?

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    wait we still have elections?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Winston4PM
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Is anyone campaigning on a change the flag platform?

I want to know if I can have an opinion in this
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    The idea of Winston deciding an election disgusts me. Represents the worst of mainstream political thinking scattered amongst the older generations.

English sucks. Coasted along on Cullen's surplus and steals his credit for saving NZ from the recession. No surprises he managed to call an entire voter bloc drug addicts this week. If National could get crushed this election and all the social conservatives and incompetents were thrown out in favour of the libertarian lite brigade that would be great, not because I'm libertarian but because social conservatism sucks. Now that Key (an ATG PR politician - everything he wanted copped huge protest but he himself remained untouchable) is gone some of the muppets like Bridges, Smith, Collins and Bennett are going to have to work harder to convince the swing voters they've got something between their ears.

Adern is gun. Can't believe the likes of her and Robertson were stuck behind narcissists like Cunliffe for years.

National will probably win though. NZ feels a very centre right country atm.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 01-03-2017 at 04:20 AM.
    hendrix likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Wouldn't surprise me to see National struggle a bit in coming months, English is definitely a seasoned campaigner but Bennett is poison and the more exposure given will inspire the public less and less.

Of course that would pretty much only guarantee a NZFirst decide the election scenario. Sooooo meh.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Extremely unlikely to happen this close to an election, but IMO Labour's chances will be far better if Ardern overthrows Little ASAP. Stronger candidate in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Extremely unlikely to happen this close to an election, but IMO Labour's chances will be far better if Ardern overthrows Little ASAP. Stronger candidate in every way.
    Too big a change up IMO. Deputy now and she can take over 2020/2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    The idea of Winston deciding an election disgusts me. Represents the worst of mainstream political thinking scattered amongst the older generations.

English sucks. Coasted along on Cullen's surplus and steals his credit for saving NZ from the recession. No surprises he managed to call an entire voter bloc drug addicts this week. If National could get crushed this election and all the social conservatives and incompetents were thrown out in favour of the libertarian lite brigade that would be great, not because I'm libertarian but because social conservatism sucks. Now that Key (an ATG PR politician - everything he wanted copped huge protest but he himself remained untouchable) is gone some of the muppets like Bridges, Smith, Collins and Bennett are going to have to work harder to convince the swing voters they've got something between their ears.

Adern is gun. Can't believe the likes of her and Robertson were stuck behind narcissists like Cunliffe for years.

National will probably win though. NZ feels a very centre right country atm.
    I really don't think English sucks. He's an intelligent man with a strong focus on well-directed productive investment in New Zealand's social capital. Yes he benefitted from Cullen leaving NZ with historically low debt, but he also did a very good job of balancing the need to reign in spending whilst ensuring the Economy didn't get completely poleaxed as happened in the UK. He's also doing a pretty good job of more or less single-handedly making National acceptable to Maori NZers.

PM Bill English gave two speeches on Waitangi Day. Both were remarkable. Both were almost entirely ignored |

Having said that there are things I really don't like about him (his social conservatism - though he's obviously paring that back now that he's taken the leadership; and his soft climate change denialism in particular).
    Athlai, _Ed_ and wellAlbidarned like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I really don't think English sucks. He's an intelligent man with a strong focus on well-directed productive investment in New Zealand's social capital. Yes he benefitted from Cullen leaving NZ with historically low debt, but he also did a very good job of balancing the need to reign in spending whilst ensuring the Economy didn't get completely poleaxed as happened in the UK. He's also doing a pretty good job of more or less single-handedly making National acceptable to Maori NZers.

PM Bill English gave two speeches on Waitangi Day. Both were remarkable. Both were almost entirely ignored |

Having said that there are things I really don't like about him (his social conservatism - though he's obviously paring that back now that he's taken the leadership; and his soft climate change denialism in particular).
    That article is impressive, credit where it's due to English.

He's a solid enough book keeper, and his Minister of Finance years of stability is what he should 100% campaign on, but NZ were always going to make it through that recession in some form of relative good shape because we had money in the bank. I hated Michael Cullen as a kid because teenage Phlegm voted based on the smug look on Cullen's face, but damn did he do a good job with the money and created a solid rainy day fund for the next time the economy tanked despite copping public, media and political pressure to spend it.

I guess I just find his negatives far more off putting than you do, which is fair enough. I don't want to have a PM stuck in the 1950s who denies climate change etc. I think Little is mediocre as far as Labour leaders go (though apparently many who meet him come away surprised and impressed) but I'm probably going to hold my nose and vote for him because I'm not a fan of the other realistic alternatives.

I'll settle for the party that proposes kicking out Auckland.

The first major policy story of the 2017 election breaking today:

PM Bill English announces Super changes - National - NZ Herald News

Will be interesting to see the fallout from this. Tend to think the only party that will make much hay out of it will be NZ First. Greabour have been campaigning for pensions reform so I would imagine all they can really say is that this policy doesn't go nearly far enough (which is I think is a fair criticism) - though then again Labour's position may have changed under Little, not sure. Still, doesn't strike me as a politically smart move - very much the kind of move that John Key would avoid with a 10 foot pole. It's not going to have a significant impact on the LR budget, and will only invite criticism.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information