Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: 2017 NZ General Election

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Is there an NZ equivalent of the UKIP which a few of the hard right #freedom warriors from the shaky Isles can throw a vote towards?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Is there an NZ equivalent of the UKIP which a few of the hard right #freedom warriors from the shaky Isles can throw a vote towards?
    Nah we don't really have an equivalent, all parties are centrist or left. NZ first is fairly racist on immigration but theyre just a populist party that traditionally is more or less centre left. We have two parties that are basically one man affairs that are maybe approaching the right but this election cycle everyone is more or less playing it very safe policy wise.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Fair enough. So typically Kiwi to be agreeable. #spiritofcricket

International Debutant
    There is also ACT which is extreme right-wing on free-market ideology (low tax, user pays, cut social welfare and a bit nutty - wanting euthanasia), but not on race grounds. They will only get one MP out of 120+
    Last edited by Fuller Pilch; 01-08-2017 at 02:30 AM.

UKIP types in New Zealand would be split between ACT (freedom warriors, vaguely close to the Australian Liberal Democrats) and NZ First (anti-immigration warriors, vaguely close to the Australian One Nation, but more 'cult of personality' driven than them). Those two parties really hate each other too, and have almost opposite policies on most things. UKIP itself is probably the strange beast here rather than NZ and Australia for splitting those ideas.
    hendrix and Flem274* like this.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    All systems of government are therefore totalitarian dictatorships in disguise

Fair enough. So typically Kiwi to be agreeable. #spiritofcricket
    We did have an outspoken controversial rich businessman make his own party and run this election cycle with Gareth Morgan and his The Opportunities Party. The guy had a relatively controversial opinion a few years back that implied cats should be killed due to their impact on NZs wildlife.

But he's actually waged a fairly reasonable campaign.

The Opportunities Party - Core Policies

I think people were expecting a bit more radical ideas to be coming from him but he more or less falls in line within the existing Kiwi politics zeitgeist perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    UKIP types in New Zealand would be split between ACT (freedom warriors, vaguely close to the Australian Liberal Democrats) and NZ First (anti-immigration warriors, vaguely close to the Australian One Nation, but more 'cult of personality' driven than them). Those two parties really hate each other too, and have almost opposite policies on most things. UKIP itself is probably the strange beast here rather than NZ and Australia for splitting those ideas.
    You probably have a better idea of this than I do Cribblet but this is by far the least wacky Act policy's for an election I've ever seen.
    hendrix likes this.

I agree with David Seymour on many things. Probably most things, even.

His attack on cigarette tax is frankly bizarre though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    You probably have a better idea of this than I do Cribblet but this is by far the least wacky Act policy's for an election I've ever seen.
    Seymour gonna Seymour.

They are running a gender non-binary anarchist in Ohariu if that makes you feel better re: how normie they've become though.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Seymour gonna Seymour.

They are running a gender non-binary anarchist in Ohariu if that makes you feel better re: how normie they've become though.
    They're never going to get more than one MP so doing slightly controversial things for seats that don't matter doesn't seem all that controversial.

It's heating up to be one of the most exciting Kiwi elections ever aside from the fact none of the parties really have any particularly radical policies or ideas. When you look at the **** shows of elections around the world it's sort of reassuring for the worst possible option to be perfectly acceptable.

I really wish Winston would just piss off.

He's screwing up both the left and the right with his regressive speeches.
    Prince EWS, Flem274*, _Ed_ and 1 others like this.

Winston had a lot of value in NZ politics over the years in opposition and I'll miss him when he's gone but yeah, he's the worst bit about this election. That said I do think he's unlikely to do much harm in either coalition government. Immigration reform tempered by either major party will still likely be alright in my eyes.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Zinzan's Avatar
    Winston had a lot of value in NZ politics over the years in opposition and I'll miss him when he's gone but yeah, he's the worst bit about this election. That said I do think he's unlikely to do much harm in either coalition government. Immigration reform tempered by either major party will still likely be alright in my eyes.
    Really? Winston's always been in it for the kicks and giggles as far as I'm concerned, & has always played the spoiler/distracter card. Don't be fooled by his charm, as so many have.

He's always entertaining though, will give him points for that.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Nah we don't really have an equivalent, all parties are centrist or left. NZ first is fairly racist on immigration but theyre just a populist party that traditionally is more or less centre left. We have two parties that are basically one man affairs that are maybe approaching the right but this election cycle everyone is more or less playing it very safe policy wise.
    nz first are the most dangerous party in new zealand. happily racist and economic nationalism is suicide for a nation that needs trade partners to buy our products

huurrrrrrr my tariffs. down with free trade and our economy with it hurrrrrrrr

We did have an outspoken controversial rich businessman make his own party and run this election cycle with Gareth Morgan and his The Opportunities Party. The guy had a relatively controversial opinion a few years back that implied cats should be killed due to their impact on NZs wildlife.

But he's actually waged a fairly reasonable campaign.

The Opportunities Party - Core Policies

I think people were expecting a bit more radical ideas to be coming from him but he more or less falls in line within the existing Kiwi politics zeitgeist perfectly.
    i like morgan. he's happy to throw ideas at the wall that the other parties aren't brave enough to, and despite being more left than right he's happy to work with any party.
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I agree with David Seymour on many things. Probably most things, even.

His attack on cigarette tax is frankly bizarre though.
    he's the most (and only) palatable libertarian i've ever seen, even more so than pews. he really should just join national. he's respectful, principled and most importantly of all he's no ideologue. it will mean act kill him off in their death spiral because they're all insane internet libertarian types but he deserves better tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Really? Winston's always been in it for the kicks and giggles as far as I'm concerned, & has always played the spoiler/distracter card. Don't be fooled by his charm, as so many have.

He's always entertaining though, will give him points for that.
    Winston as kingmaker always makes me nervous.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information