Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Neoliberalism

  1. #31
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Globalisation is about the removal of barriers to trade: the elimination of subsidies and tariffs, the establishment of common standards and rules and the movement towards increased specialisation in commerce. The sale of public assets is neither here nor there as far as the debate around globalisation is concerned. If your argument is that public asset sales rob the people of the dividends of their labour, then it makes no difference whether the public asset is sold to a local entity or a foreign one.
    yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

    - Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Sounds like you are being robbed. Part of our current bills should be going to you.
    In a way yes. The cost of electricity has risen more than 100% in the last decade, and is set to increase another $200 per annum on average. So all this deregulation doesn't seem to have the desired effect so far.

    The political upshot of the electricity price hikes is that the Turnbull government is now in panic mode when it comes to instituting the necessary 'carbon pricing' to drive down green house gas emissions. Something that must be done.

    This panic is yet another indicator that Governments have lost much of their ability to govern the economy and govern the country. And we can put this down to deregulated markets and the fact that private corporations now own much of the key infrastructure and hardware.

    The people are now sensing this loss of control and and don't like it because it ultimately means a loss of autonomy and self-determination. While people can hammer the government at the polls to voice their discontent they have very little leverage against private companies, especially if they are foreign or part of a near monopoly. Therefore, in the current context of centre left v centre right politics parlimentary elections have become a meaningless exercise. If the actual power resides in the private corporations, why bother or care about the politcal process?

    Far-left and far-right politicians all advocate that the Government 'take back control' and have the policies to match. That's why they are currently polling strongly or winning elections.

    In short, Neoliberalism has stuffed-up the political process to everyones loss.
    Last edited by watson; 09-12-2016 at 05:14 PM.
    Son Of Coco likes this.

  3. #33
    International Vice-Captain 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    On the Road
    Posts
    4,008
    Muldoon had left NZ moribund in the 70s and 80s, so market reform of some kind had to happen. But like a lot of reactions to the status quo, it went too far. Lots of folk saw their jobs disappear entirely or get shipped overseas, government regulation and assistance gradually dried up in the form of selloffs, services contracted out to profit seekers, or user pays. Foreign entities of all stripes came and bought up land, infrastructure and companies, and the capital that went with it.

    The idea was that we would get easier access to foreign capital, using it to build better businesses and therefore generate better jobs, and become rich selling to a newly accessible world market. While we have had some success (especially in tiny niches), the reality is that we struggle to compete with bigger, richer countries that are closer to markets, and are still doing what we've always done, which is farming.

    Many already well-off folk have done very well from neoliberalism, but the rising tide never came close to lifting all boats. The former working class have been left behind as their decent paying jobs have disappeared overseas and been replaced (if at all) with service industry jobs of poorer pay and unstable hours and tenure, coupled with runaway increases in the cost of housing, utilities, education, healthcare and food. Labour used to represent these people, but has been a Blairite 'third-way' party for 20 years now, pandering to the so-called centre and differing little from the Nats.

    Both parties have cynically fostered resentment of the biggest victims of neoliberalism, painting them as bludgers and drug addicts. Is it any wonder these people are losing faith in our democracy?

    Obviously this refers to the NZ experience, because it's what I know. But the stories from other western nations sound pretty similar.
    Last edited by 16 tins of Spam; 09-12-2016 at 07:57 PM.
    HeathDavisSpeed and Justo like this.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

  4. #34
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    18,607
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    In a way yes. The cost of electricity has risen more than 100% in the last decade, and is set to increase another $200 per annum on average. So all this deregulation doesn't seem to have the desired effect so far.

    The political upshot of the electricity price hikes is that the Turnbull government is now in panic mode when it comes to instituting the necessary 'carbon pricing' to drive down green house gas emissions. Something that must be done.

    This panic is yet another indicator that Governments have lost much of their ability to govern the economy and govern the country. And we can put this down to deregulated markets and the fact that private corporations now own much of the key infrastructure and hardware.

    The people are now sensing this loss of control and and don't like it because it ultimately means a loss of autonomy and self-determination. While people can hammer the government at the polls to voice their discontent they have very little leverage against private companies, especially if they are foreign or part of a near monopoly. Therefore, in the current context of centre left v centre right politics parlimentary elections have become a meaningless exercise. If the actual power resides in the private corporations, why bother or care about the politcal process?

    Far-left and far-right politicians all advocate that the Government 'take back control' and have the policies to match. That's why they are currently polling strongly or winning elections.

    In short, Neoliberalism has stuffed-up the political process to everyones loss.
    Privatisation never drives costs down. It just places the power in the hands of shareholders, and **** everybody else.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

    "There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

    "**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball


  5. #35
    Hall of Fame Member harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    17,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Privatisation never drives costs down. It just places the power in the hands of shareholders, and **** everybody else.
    Yeah, a lot of political commentary tends to confuse the difference between more privatization and more competition.
    indiaholic and Pratters like this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  6. #36
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    25,057
    Privatisation to create competition just opens things up for take overs and you end up with super corporations with less competition than before.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  7. #37
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,215
    privatization = smarter because free market is my favourite myth. i can name a company in my field who created their biggest competitor through their own arrogance. it's beautiful.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  8. #38
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    Pop and mom stores ftw.

  9. #39
    International Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    FREE STELLA NYANZI!
    Posts
    6,204
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

    They scored a single, declared and still won by an innings

  10. #40
    International Coach Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wigton Unzud
    Posts
    13,999
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Labour used to represent these people, but has been a Blairite 'third-way' party for 20 years now, pandering to the so-called centre and differing little from the Nats.
    Really wouldn't call the Clark government 'Blairite', given they increased taxes, massively expanded public expenditures, reduced costs of higher education, avoided foreign intervention and provided large subsidies for working class families. If anything, the fact that there is now so little difference between National and Labour is more because National lurched to the centre under Key than vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  11. #41
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Really wouldn't call the Clark government 'Blairite', given they increased taxes, massively expanded public expenditures, reduced costs of higher education, avoided foreign intervention and provided large subsidies for working class families. If anything, the fact that there is now so little difference between National and Labour is more because National lurched to the centre under Key than vice versa.
    Blair did a few of those things too

  12. #42
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Really wouldn't call the Clark government 'Blairite', given they increased taxes, massively expanded public expenditures, reduced costs of higher education, avoided foreign intervention and provided large subsidies for working class families. If anything, the fact that there is now so little difference between National and Labour is more because National lurched to the centre under Key than vice versa.
    True about those key policies, but Clark's Labour definitely pushed centrist towards the end of their tenure as a deliberate strategy, at least in terms of political rhetoric. My parents were (and still are) "in the loop" in terms of Labour party internal policies and I specifically remember my father commenting on it as a strategy. IIRC it worked in the short term but I'd argue it's been catastrophic in the long term as anything left wing now is seen as pretty extreme; the whole country has embraced the centre. Can you imagine someone trying for interest-free student loans today if it hadn't been introduced all that while ago? Wouldn't happen.

    National only lurched centrist in their second term IMO. The first term, or at least the rhetoric, was all about "fiscal responsibility" etc...(and bizarrely, "Change", hijacking the Obama wave).

  13. #43
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,215
    I reckon national went the other way around. term one was all about "so how are you different from labour?" "change" and then term two was about selling public assets, much more traditionally right wing.

  14. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    .
    Victor Ian likes this.

  15. #45
    International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    here
    Posts
    3,144
    so.... who or what is the pen that popped the balloon at the end?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •