Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 56
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Neoliberalism

  1. #16
    International Coach Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wigton Unzud
    Posts
    14,003
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Much of the country's infrastructure - rail, ports, power networks, postal and telecommunication networks etc - was paid for, and then built by prior generations - their tax money and their hard work.

    Then Neoliberal goverments come along and sell-off the infracture to foreign companies to raise much needed capital - that's the Globalisation bit. They do this because NeoCon dogma says that taxes are an evil thing and the government shouldn't be allowed to raise revenue that way.

    The fact is, infrastructure is not for the Government's to sell as it belongs to mutiple generations of people who built it in good faith. But rather than nurture it, and use it constructively to make an honest profit that goes directly back to the people the Neoliberals would rather make a fast buck. The tragedy is that is no going back once sold - a piece of the nation's history is gone forever.

    Personally, this makes me so angry that I am prepared to vote for any alt right politician that comes along. I would go with my natural instincts and vote left, but the left died shortly after Hawke and Keating came to power in the early 80s. Those years were the biggest betrayal in the history of Australian politics. I detest them both.
    Globalisation is about the removal of barriers to trade: the elimination of subsidies and tariffs, the establishment of common standards and rules and the movement towards increased specialisation in commerce. The sale of public assets is neither here nor there as far as the debate around globalisation is concerned. If your argument is that public asset sales rob the people of the dividends of their labour, then it makes no difference whether the public asset is sold to a local entity or a foreign one.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Greatest governments in Australia's history were the Hawke/ Keating ones.
    Not if you are middle-class or lower. The quality of life for this group has been trashed.

  3. #18
    International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    here
    Posts
    3,151
    I would love to see what would happen if a country just said, tough luck, I'm taking this stuff back, but also made it clear that aside from the take back, everything else was business as usual. What could the world do?

  4. #19
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    66,642
    You mean compulsorily reacquired the infrastructure?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

    "Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.


  5. #20
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    8,675
    Don't we have loads of examples across history of nations "reacquiring" businesses and property from citizens? It never seems to end well.
    Redbacks likes this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

    RIP Craig

  6. #21
    International Coach straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    11,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    I would love to see what would happen if a country just said, tough luck, I'm taking this stuff back, but also made it clear that aside from the take back, everything else was business as usual. What could the world do?
    Downgrade their credit rating

  7. #22
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    We have land acquisition acts in India whereby the government can acquire any land for nominal rates from it's citizens.

  8. #23
    Hall of Fame Member harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    18,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    We have land acquisition acts in India whereby the government can acquire any land for nominal rates from it's citizens.
    That's everywhere. Eminent domain.

    And it's only nominal rates in India because the reported market values are low as compared to real market values because of black money transactions.
    indiaholic likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  9. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Globalisation is about the removal of barriers to trade: the elimination of subsidies and tariffs, the establishment of common standards and rules and the movement towards increased specialisation in commerce. The sale of public assets is neither here nor there as far as the debate around globalisation is concerned. If your argument is that public asset sales rob the people of the dividends of their labour, then it makes no difference whether the public asset is sold to a local entity or a foreign one.
    That's right, it's equally bad either way. But that still doesn't alter the fact that the infrastructure paid for by my grandfather has effectively been pissed-up against the wall in what amounts to an international garage sale.

    For example;

    Chinese investment in Australia's power grid explained
    By political editor Chris Uhlmann

    There are four parts to the electricity market: generation, distribution, transmission and retail.

    Of Australia's eight states and territories, three governments retain full ownership of all elements of their electricity networks: Western Australia; Tasmania; and the Northern Territory.

    Queensland also owns the generation, distribution and transmission of electricity, but the retail market has been privatised.

    Chinese Government-owned State Grid Corporate and Hong Kong-listed Cheung Kong Infrastructure — the two companies whose bid for NSW electricity distributor Ausgrid were blocked by Treasurer Scott Morrison — already own significant shares in the privatised state power distributors.


    Chinese investment in Australia's power grid explained - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

  10. #25
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    GeorgeMonbiot (GeorgeMonbiot)

    My golden arches theory of political decline. No country with a McDonald's can remain a democracy: https://t.co/LPWr4AvEyE

    1:07 PM Dec 7th via Twitter Web Client
    https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/st...02162959982596

  11. #26
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    That's everywhere. Eminent domain.

    And it's only nominal rates in India because the reported market values are low as compared to real market values because of black money transactions.
    There are stricter rules in other countries I think.

  12. #27
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    29,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I dont know that median income is such a great measure. I always wonder why they don't use mean income. It would more accurately reflect the disparity in wealth between people.
    Mean usually reflects inequality worse than median. Those Caribbean slave colonies that had one obscenely rich slave-owner for every 10 slaves would show a solid enough mean income but a median of almost zero.

    Neither are great for it though tbf. Maybe just go with Gini.

  13. #28
    International Captain indiaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,343
    But the Gini won't reflect the rise in wealth?
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Heh.

  14. #29
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    29,931
    Quote Originally Posted by indiaholic View Post
    But the Gini won't reflect the rise in wealth?
    Right I mean that you need to use both. Can't really have one figure that tells you two things.
    indiaholic likes this.

  15. #30
    International Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    5,231
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    That's right, it's equally bad either way. But that still doesn't alter the fact that the infrastructure paid for by my grandfather has effectively been pissed-up against the wall in what amounts to an international garage sale
    Sounds like you are being robbed. Part of our current bills should be going to you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •