cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree448Likes

Thread: Is the world becoming more racist?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I.e. people more commonly known as "xenophobes"
    That's entirely the point Spark.

As I pointed out before, xenophobia is the natural order of things and that's why hyper-immigration is always a painful process for any society.

Best not to go there really because you make Hanson, Trump, and Brexit and all the resultant social upheaval inevitable.

Conservatism says that incremental social change is better for society. I happen to agree with that philosophy.
    Last edited by watson; 05-07-2016 at 08:59 PM.

International Regular
    Surely instead of just giving into our natural instincts we can just learn to adapt and be tolerant to other humans, like we do with everything else in a civilised society.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    Surely instead of just giving into our natural instincts we can just learn to adapt and be tolerant to other humans, like we do with everything else in a civilised society.
    I completely agree RTB.

But my anthropology text books remind of the fragility of people, and my history text books remind me of the fragility of societies.

Creating a successful society is all about understanding, and then working with, human nature - not forcing it to conform to a narrow political or economic idealogy.

At the minute Western politicians are trying to bash square socialogical and economic pegs into round holes, and it ain't working. If it was then we wouldn't have Hanson, Trump, and Brexit which are symptoms of upheaval, rather than causes.
    Last edited by watson; 05-07-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    It's not just white people. It's people.

Look at pratters and his dislike for what's happening in his city. Even SEAsian countries have folks that hate Mainland Chinese immigrants and Indian immigrants.

People are idiots, regardless of race.
    This is true, though I was referring to European colonised countries in particular i.e. this sentiment is common in Australia, New Zealand and America.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    This is true, though I was referring to European colonised countries in particular i.e. this sentiment is common in Australia, New Zealand and America.
    I'd say it's actually weaker in these countries than it is in the "old world", so to speak, both Western and not. National identity is more malleable in settler states.
    fade, made to fade
    passion's overrated anyway

forever 63*

I`ve been avoiding this thread... but this talk about xenophobia being the'natural' order of things is nonsense... children are not racist/xenophobic it is a taught response by society in which people live and home life, nothing more. Culture is a societal concept and structure; acceptance and understanding of other cultural norms can be included as part of a culture that is willing and taught to be more open-minded. People don`t like change so when they are taught that other ideas are not normal or bad then this becomes an issue we have today.

A free press and and open society must beat the drums of other cultures contentiously, to change perception; a society that does not condemn and attempt to remove any forms of racism or xenophobia only continues to perpetuate the myth.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Public housing in Singapore even has racial quotas to prevent the forming of 'racial enclaves'. It keeps people like watson happy.
    It would only do that if there weren't any Asians in his housing block.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

watson's posts make me sad
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    I`ve been avoiding this thread... but this talk about xenophobia being the'natural' order of things is nonsense... children are not racist/xenophobic it is a taught response by society in which people live and home life, nothing more. Culture is a societal concept and structure; acceptance and understanding of other cultural norms can be included as part of a culture that is willing and taught to be more open-minded. People don`t like change so when they are taught that other ideas are not normal or bad then this becomes an issue we have today.

A free press and and open society must beat the drums of other cultures contentiously, to change perception; a society that does not condemn and attempt to remove any forms of racism or xenophobia only continues to perpetuate the myth.
    Fear is one of the 5 primary emotions (4 in some texts) and is an inescapable driving force behind human bevaviour.

In the context of xenophobia it is the 'fear of the unknown' that makes humans suspecting of other racial or cultural groups.

I have also read several studies which indicate that the level of trust between individuals increases or decreases along racial and cultural lines. Again, this would be due to the emotion of fear.

Of course, levels of fear and distrust can be mediated by living in an open and tolerant multi-cultural society where we all get to 'rub shoulders' and understand eachother. But this presupposes that all races and cultural groups want to do that. Some racial and cultures groups consider themselves exclusive and actively discourage inter-marriage and mixing.

One of my best friends, an Argentinian atheist, recently fell in love with a Turkish Muslim girl but the relationship had to be conducted in secret because it went against all the cultural norms of the her family. Consequently it had no price of succeeding, and didn't.

Point being, multi-culturali societies should be able to flourish indefintely in theory. But history shows us that the reality is very different for a host of different reasons.
    Last edited by watson; 06-07-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Think watson's posts boil down to --> If your family and/or the wider community you live in is fearful and discouraging of other cultures and immigration, xenophobia is going to be the norm. I still don't know if he thinks this sort of thing is rising or falling.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Cricket Champion!
    It's not just white people. It's people.

Look at pratters and his dislike for what's happening in his city. Even SEAsian countries have folks that hate Mainland Chinese immigrants and Indian immigrants.

People are idiots, regardless of race.
    True, but I'd go deeper.

People who idealise how things were or should be unfortunately are pretty stupid. There's nothing inherently good or bad about keeping things the same or different but I guess as human beings we like familiarity. The sad part of it all is that we're all the same at the core.

I wish even more migration could take place. The reason IMO that immigration is such an easy thing to argue as a problem is because you're not blaming the national voting bloc as much as you are 'others'. The fear of 'others' is killing us and this planet.
    Last edited by Ikki; 06-07-2016 at 12:53 AM.
    vcs likes this.
    ★★★★★

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Think watson's posts boil down to --> If your family and/or the wider community you live in is fearful and discouraging of other cultures and immigration, xenophobia is going to be the norm. I still don't know if he thinks this sort of thing is rising or falling.
    My 'considered hunch'....

The level of xenophobia varies from individual to individual, but all individuals are intrinsically xenophobic to some degree because fear and 'fear of the unknown' is hardwired into the human brain. Because societies are a reflection of people they are also intrinsically xenophobic.

Therefore, xenoophobia will be a constant throughout human history and won't vary much no matter what what society you find yourself in.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Fear is one of the 5 primary emotions (4 in some texts) and is an inescapable driving force behind human bevaviour.

In the context of xenophobia it is the 'fear of the unknown' that makes humans suspecting of other racial or cultural groups.

I have also read several studies which indicate that the level of trust between individuals increases or decreases along racial and cultural lines. Again, this would be due to the emotion of fear.

Of course, levels of fear and distrust can be mediated by living in an open and tolerant multi-cultural society where we all get to 'rub shoulders' and understand eachother. But this presupposes that all races and cultural groups want to do that. Some racial and cultures groups consider themselves exclusive and actively discourage inter-marriage and mixing.

One of my best friends, an Argentinian atheist, recently fell in love with a Turkish Muslim girl but the relationship had to be conducted in secret because it went against all the cultural norms of the her family. Consequently it had no price of succeeding, and didn't.

Point being, multi-culturali societies should be able to flourish indefintely in theory. But history shows us that the reality is very different for a host of different reasons.
    I`m not denying peoples fears...and i`m fully aware of the studies regarding fear priority for defining animals and sometimes even race; however, importantly, these still needed outside stimuli to create a fear, it is not just born into the person.

The fact that some cultures (or more importantly people) remain closed reiterates my point regarding keeping a open dialogue and criticizing the xenophobia, racism and fear, because it is the 'norm' , for some people, does not make it right or tolerable.

Your anecdotal evidence displays peoples fears; I have a friend started as a pastor, before realizing it was not for him, became a quantity surveyor moved to Dubai and last year married into a Muslim family. His ability to accept and understand other cultures, along with his wife and her family, have made two very happy people. I am aware life does not always make things easy or is not fair, but that does not mean we have to just accept life as it is...

condemning racism and xenophobia is the only correct thing to do, making excuses for it or explaining why it happens does not alter that it should be condemned vehemently.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    My 'considered hunch'....

The level of xenophobia varies from individual to individual, but all individuals are intrinsically xenophobic to some degree because fear and 'fear of the unknown' is hardwired into the human brain. Because societies are a reflection of people they are also intrinsically xenophobic.

Therefore, xenoophobia will be a constant throughout human history and won't vary much no matter what what society you find yourself in.
    That the fear of unknown is hardwired doesn't necessarily point to xenophobia always being a reality. That fear could be directed elsewhere during more prosperous times of little material shortages.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Let me tell you what it's like
    Being male, middle class and white...

- Watson, cricketweb.net
    July 2016.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information