Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree448Likes

Thread: Is the world becoming more racist?

International Vice-Captain
    *sees Chinese characters written on a sign*

"Welp, I really want to stay but I guess it can't be helped. Pack your bags kids, we're moving to Gympie."
    NZTailender and Smudge like this.

International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Lol at people complaining about outsiders coming in and destroying their way of life.
    Particularly when they are Australian. The irony.
    NZTailender and artvandalay like this.

Banned
    Lol at people complaining about outsiders coming in and destroying their way of life.
    Lol at people not understanding how that might be important, and/or not understanding that politicians who perperuate wrongs and don't learn from history are wreckless and stupid.
    Last edited by watson; 05-07-2016 at 05:08 PM.

International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    Perhaps my hometown is the Melbourne Hurstville. The shopping strip full of Italian cafes, Greek milk bars and other shops with English signs became overrun with Vietnamese shops with Vietnamese signs. They got their comeuppance as the Indian community moved in their bevy of spice shops with that 'weird' writing that looks like it is all a mistake with the lines through it. They also copped it when the Sudanese moved in with their even weirder shops.

Many people complained. They are idiots. I loved walking into the Asian, Indian and African shops. It was like taking an overseas tour only 5 minutes walk away. I loved being able to eat all kinds of food and not being ripped off by White Australians charging high prices in their needlessly glossy white malls.
    Ikki likes this.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I gave a wry smile after Pauline Hanson's interview yesterday because it mentioned my home town of Hurstville.

When I grew up in Hurstville it could be described as a 'village'. That is, low density with a high street made up of shops, cafes, and restaurants. There were plenty of clubs, parks, and open spaces.

Well that's gone now. During the 1990s the developers moved in and obliterated the suburb. It is now high density with rows of ugly high-rise apartment blocks that lack any character. Visually it has about as much charm as Hitler's concrete bunker.

From the 1990s Hurstville's high-rise apartments have been exclusively filled by Chinese immigrants. As a consequence, what was once a truly multicultural suburb made up of Australians, Greeks, Cypriots, Italians, Croatians, and Chinese is now a monocultural suburb for all practical purposes.

Confronted with this monoculturalism I moved out of the suburb I grew up in because there was simply nothing I could relate to. I don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, can't read Mandarin or Cantonese, and don't particularly like the cuisine or culture generally. I didn't want to move out, but It's not as if I really had a choice in the matter.

So the question is - with respect to Hurstville, does Pauline Hanson have a point? The answer is yes of course because Hurstville can no longer be considered a home to generations of people who grew up there. The reality is, our home has been destroyed in every conceivable way by a combination of hyper-development and hyper-immigration.

I don't dispute that Pauline Hanson is barking mad. But really, is she any less sane than the politicians who are currently allowing and encouraging numerous other low-rise suburbs to be transformed into similar high-rise concrete bunkers?

If you are voting purely according to madness and insanity then there really isn't much difference between Pauline Hanson and most mainstream politicians.
    Why did everybody else suddenly move and make it an exclusively Chinese neighborhood? Finding that a bit hard to believe.

Sprawling neighborhoods with greenery and parks turning into concrete jungles is not an immigration problem.. it is an overpopulation and urbanization problem. It's common all over the world, and even more so in big cities in developing countries where there are no pesky immigrants.
    Last edited by vcs; 05-07-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Lol at people not understanding how that might be important, and/or not understanding that politicians who perperuate wrongs and don't learn from history are wreckless and stupid.
    You guys should all just move out then, give the land back. You know, stop perpetuating the wrongs.
    NZTailender likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Why did everybody else suddenly move and make it an exclusively Chinese neighborhood? Finding that a bit hard to believe.

Sprawling neighborhoods with greenery and parks turning into concrete jungles is not an immigration problem.. it is an overpopulation and urbanization problem. It's common all over the world, and even more so in big cities in developing countries where there are no pesky immigrants.
    Hyper-development and the resultant hyper-immigration amounts to the same thing as 'overpopulation and urbanization'. You're just engaging in a sematic exercise with the reality not altering one tiny bit.

Banned
    You guys should all just move out then, give the land back. You know, stop perpetuating the wrongs.
    Too late because there is no escaping the fact that millions of people now call Australia and North America "home".

The ironic thing is that politicians, historians and sociologists who lament the destruction of Indigenous culture and their quality of life in Australia and North America during the past 200 years don't seem to recognise that the same phenomenon is currently bring repeated under their noses. It's essentially the same kind of dislocation, displacement, and disorientation.

Perhaps it because they want to have the feckless belief that two wrongs really do make a right, or they wish to engage in rampant hypocrisy.
    Last edited by watson; 05-07-2016 at 06:12 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The ironic thing is that politicians, historians and sociologists who lament the destruction of Indigenous culture and their quality of life in Australia and North America during the past 200 years don't seem to recognise that the same phenomenon is currently bring repeated under their noses.

Perhaps it because they have the feckless belief that two wrongs really do make a right.

Or maybe they realize that genociding a people is different to having to walk past some restaurants from a different culture.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 05-07-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    ankitj likes this.

It's not the same because white people aren't indigenous to Australia or the USA and haven't been murdered and forced off their land into reservations. It's pretty funny that you think moving house because you saw some Asians in apartments means you get to sympathise with Aborigines.
    NZTailender, Jono and Son Of Coco like this.

Anyway, watson's terrible post is a good example of what has been mentioned in this thread. Racism is less explicit but there's still an underlying current of it couched in different terms. "Destruction of culture" and "hyper-immigration" are good examples.
    NZTailender and Prince EWS like this.

Too late because there is no escaping the fact that millions of people now call Australia and North America "home".
    Like the Chinese residents of Hurstville.
    NZTailender and Prince EWS like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Watson, if you pine for the old-style high street and village, move to Balmain.

But just be aware, there are Asian restaurants, Mexican cantinas, US style bars, African eateries, middle eastern cafes and Mediterranean food everywhere. I find it very hard to relate to any of it, so I just eat all the food. Then I feel uncomfortable in my own area, because I'm so full of foodie goodness.
    NZTailender, morgieb and BeeGee like this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Watson, if you pine for the old-style high street and village, move to Balmain.

But just be aware, there are Asian restaurants, Mexican cantinas, US style bars, African eateries, middle eastern cafes and Mediterranean food everywhere. I find it very hard to relate to any of it, so I just eat all the food. Then I feel uncomfortable in my own area, because I'm so full of foodie goodness.
    Would love to move to Balmain as it's not overly high-rise and not monocultural. Can't afford it though as the overseas demand has priced me out of contention.

I think the media glorifies the issue (and blares the shittiest voices the loudest) because it generates clicks. This makes minorities (and progressives generally) extremely sensitive to the issue. Events that would ordinarily be seen as innocuous get "viewed through the lens of racism" and voila, the issue becomes about race. Historical factors make it impossible to have a rational public debate about these issues. Previously (or potentially) persecuted minorities have an understandable emotional reaction to the issue and anyone from the majority who wants to inject some calm into the frenzy of reaction gets shouted down as a bigot/racist etc etc and just decides to shut up about it. So with no dissenting voices, anyone who wants to racially charge virtually any issue is able to do so with relative impunity. Meanwhile the actual racists just sit back and laugh as this phenomenon drives the narrative in their direction.

But are we actually more racist? It's not perfect, but the only reasonable answer is of course not. Modern western civilisation has to be among most tolerant societies in history.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information