Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree448Likes

Thread: Is the world becoming more racist?

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Scary thing is that Hanson made more sense than most of them.
    Please explain.

But seriously, someone can make sense on highlighting the disenfranchisement of the average voter due to increased inequality and being ignored by mainstream politicians, but then be batshit insane with their solutions or reasons why it happened in the first place i.e. let's have an inquiry into Islam.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

What gets me about people who support Trump, Hanson et al is their "they say what everyone's thinking" attitude, which to me implies they think that everyone is consciously racist but those who preach tolerance and love are being facetious, PC liars while anyone who backs up their own view must be truthful.

But then if your reason for voting for those candidates is believing that we all somehow have a shared consciousness and singular line of thinking that some are truthful about and others aren't, then I guess you're dumb enough to vote for those morons.
    Last edited by NZTailender; 05-07-2016 at 04:21 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't think so. Old people are more racist than everyone and they're dying off. OTOH, the cultural backlash against anti-racism is definitely becoming stronger.
    No disagreement there. I referred to a those generations that grew up with a certain indoctrinated sense of national identity but I wouldn't say they are necessarily dying off. People in their 40s today would fall in that category too and they have a lot of time left.
    Kids growing up today will be different because I don't think today's kids are growing up with that same sense of national identity..at least in the Western world. Asia is still the hotbed of indoctrinated nationalism
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 05-07-2016 at 05:24 AM.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

International Coach
    Actual racism is quite rare. The numbers are inflated by dickheads just latching onto anything in order to cause trouble, whether it be race, religion, gender or mushy peas lovers.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    People are becoming dumber. Actually, that's probably not true. There's the same amount of ignorant, dumb people, it's just that now they have access to more forms of communication to spread their own special brand of stupid. And stupid people tend to be more likely to be racist.
    Black_Warrior and Ikki like this.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Actual racism is quite rare. The numbers are inflated by dickheads just latching onto anything in order to cause trouble, whether it be race, religion, gender or mushy peas lovers.
    Alternatively, people who had no voice in the past because they were shut out by racist systems and societies now actually have their voices heard and call out racist bullshit for what it is when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    People are becoming dumber. Actually, that's probably not true. There's the same amount of ignorant, dumb people, it's just that now they have access to more forms of communication to spread their own special brand of stupid. And stupid people tend to be more likely to be racist.
    Pretty much. I think most people in general were always dumb and stupid. It's just they never got a chance to express themselves in the way they can with the click of a few buttons on social media today.

International Vice-Captain
    So does that map mean New Zealand is the most racist or least racist?

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    So does that map mean New Zealand is the most racist or least racist?
    More racist...

Cricket Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't think so. Old people are more racist than everyone and they're dying off. OTOH, the cultural backlash against anti-racism is definitely becoming stronger.
    I think because many of the reasonings have become tedious and people are being held to account for previous generations abusing their power.
    ★★★★★

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    I don't believe the world is becoming more racist, but the racist attitudes that do still exist get a big ass spotlight shone on them. This has forced the conversation out into the open where people who may not actually be racist but hold backwards or non-PC views feel like they're being picked on, while the more damaging racism has gone undercover and is still thriving in many communities. I think this leads to us hearing more about racial issues that may seem trivial to many while widespread racism goes unnoticed. One example of what I mean is Donald Sterling. He is now known for getting banned from the NBA and being forced to sell his team for making racist comments in a private phone conversation. Meanwhile his discriminatory business practices over decades are just a footnote in his "legacy". This isn't always true of course, the attitude of police towards blacks is getting a lot of attention, but a lot people had to die for this issue to get that much attention. Well-to-do Blacks still have a difficult time finding a home in good neighborhoods, Blacks and Hispanics still get charged higher interests on loans, but these issues rarely make it into the news.
    Last edited by nightprowler10; 05-07-2016 at 11:30 AM.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

International Regular Victor Ian's Avatar
    Just go talk to an over 80. Racism has always been. Media just help focus it where it is needed so that we can all feel superior. Muslims are just the new Russia.

Banned
    I gave a wry smile after Pauline Hanson's interview yesterday because it mentioned my home town of Hurstville.

Asked about her maiden speech in 1996 when she said Australia was at risk of being*"swamped by Asians", the former fish-and-chip shop owner*repeated the claim.

"You go and ask a lot of people in Sydney, at Hurstville or some of the other suburbs. They feel they have been swamped by Asians and, regardless of that now, a lot of Australians feel that Asians are buying up prime agricultural land, housing," she said.

"You ask people in Melbourne how they feel about it as well."

Election 2016: Pauline Hanson warns of terror on the streets and suburbs 'swamped by Asians'

When I grew up in Hurstville it could be described as a 'village'. That is, low density with a high street made up of shops, cafes, and restaurants. There were plenty of clubs, parks, and open spaces.

Well that's gone now. During the 1990s the developers moved in and obliterated the suburb. It is now high density with rows of ugly high-rise apartment blocks that lack any character. Visually it has about as much charm as Hitler's concrete bunker.

From the 1990s Hurstville's high-rise apartments have been exclusively filled by Chinese immigrants. As a consequence, what was once a truly multicultural suburb made up of Australians, Greeks, Cypriots, Italians, Croatians, and Chinese is now a monocultural suburb for all practical purposes.

Confronted with this monoculturalism I moved out of the suburb I grew up in because there was simply nothing I could relate to. I don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, can't read Mandarin or Cantonese, and don't particularly like the cuisine or culture generally. I didn't want to move out, but It's not as if I really had a choice in the matter.

So the question is - with respect to Hurstville, does Pauline Hanson have a point? The answer is yes of course because Hurstville can no longer be considered a home to generations of people who grew up there. The reality is, our home has been destroyed in every conceivable way by a combination of hyper-development and hyper-immigration.

I don't dispute that Pauline Hanson is barking mad. But really, is she any less sane than the politicians who are currently allowing and encouraging numerous other low-rise suburbs to be transformed into similar high-rise concrete bunkers?

If you are voting purely according to madness and insanity then there really isn't much difference between Pauline Hanson and most mainstream politicians.
    Last edited by watson; 05-07-2016 at 03:48 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Lol at people complaining about outsiders coming in and destroying their way of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information