Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Like Tree448Likes

Thread: Is the world becoming more racist?

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    "So where migrants were not present, it appears they were held partly to blame for the all-too-real, but much deeper-seated, economic difficulties experienced by locals."

Riiiight. Not denying this exists, but isn't Occam's Razor leaning further towards high percentage migrant areas voting remain because, well, the high percentage of migrants are hardly going to vote Leave based on matters of immigration (and, immigration aside, Leave was based on pretty abstract arguments)? I imagine there were still plenty of mouthbreathing UKIP-voting shitlord xenophobe Leavers in those areas (so not necessarily assuming cultural contact will fix everything), but that their voting power was massively diluted by all those damn migrants they complain about having the vote too.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I'm the worst poster on this forum, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

Citizens from other European countries - apart from Ireland, Malta and Cyprus - did not get to vote on whether the UK remains part of the EU.

Otherwise you needed at minimum, residence in UK.
    Last edited by StephenZA; 08-07-2016 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    "So where migrants were not present, it appears they were held partly to blame for the all-too-real, but much deeper-seated, economic difficulties experienced by locals."

Riiiight. Not denying this exists, but isn't Occam's Razor leaning further towards high percentage migrant areas voting remain because, well, the high percentage of migrants are hardly going to vote Leave based on matters of immigration (and, immigration aside, Leave was based on pretty abstract arguments)? I imagine there were still plenty of mouthbreathing UKIP-voting shitlord xenophobe Leavers in those areas (so not necessarily assuming cultural contact will fix everything), but that their voting power was massively diluted by all those damn migrants they complain about having the vote too.
    This came to my mind as well when I saw the link. How many of those immigrants would have voting rights though?
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I make no apologies for not understanding the Chinese language or culture, nor wanting to live in a high-rise suburb that is just plain ugly.

What is the point in living in a suburb that is impossible to relate to either culturally or physically? There isn't one.

It wouldn't be so bad if the population growth and development of the last 20 years actually benefited the suburb and made it more liveable. But it didn't. On the contrary, the quality of life that once existed went backwards in horrible ways. The relaxed cafe culture was merely replaced with concrete, congestion, hideous $2 shops, and rubbish in the streets.

Any normal person would move out, which is exactly what I did.

So from my point view, and I'm sure that 100s of thousands of other people would agree, immigration in Sydney is now synonymous with destroying the quality of life. That's not xenophobia, that's just forming the rational opinion that the government's current immigration programme is failing. What used to be a very good idea now has little to recommend it, and has become a pointless exercise other than making property developers rich and filling the coffers of the political parties.
    Ok what would be a successful immigration programme for Australia or Sydney to be specific in your view?

Oh and Hurstville is not all Chinese..there's a decent Philipino community too but something tells me they are all the same to you
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    That's what I can't understand.. the problems people blame on immigration is rather just plain poor governance. Nothing to do with the immigrants.
    It's a multi-faceted issue that takes in everthing from roads, congestion, and basic infrastructure to parks, green spaces, and the environment. Language and culture are only two pieces of the same jigsaw puzzle.

Yet some individuals seem to think that the debate can be improved by shouting "xenophobe" at the top of their voice like an idiot.

I'm not sure who is worse at listening - Pauline Hanson or them.
    Last edited by watson; 08-07-2016 at 03:53 AM.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    It's a multi-faceted issue that takes in everthing from roads, congestion, and basic infrastructure to parks, green spaces, and the environment. Language and culture are only two piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

Yet some individuals seem to think that the debate can be improved by shouting "xenophobe" at the top of their voice like an idiot.
    Then why have you spent the entire thread speaking almost exclusively about the perils of immigration, and basically implying it is the root of all ills?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Ok what would be a successful immigration programme for Australia or Sydney to be specific in your view?
    I'd like this answered as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'

Brainiac is an extra-terrestrial android, one of Superman's primary enemies, who collects thousands of cities and worlds in individual bottles in order to maintain unchanging snap-shot records for posterity.

Whoops sorry, thought this was the comics thread

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Whoops sorry, thought this was the comics thread
    Close enough...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Definitely plenty comical about the thread.
    Magrat Garlick and Jono like this.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    Particularly when they are Australian. The irony.
    To be fair, it wasn't modern day Australians that invaded the place - that was the English.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Then why have you spent the entire thread speaking almost exclusively about the perils of immigration, and basically implying it is the root of all ills?
    I haven't.

I've spoken more about human nature and how intrinsically xenophobic and tribal it is. Ironically, very little in this thread changes my impression of that.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    Perhaps my hometown is the Melbourne Hurstville. The shopping strip full of Italian cafes, Greek milk bars and other shops with English signs became overrun with Vietnamese shops with Vietnamese signs. They got their comeuppance as the Indian community moved in their bevy of spice shops with that 'weird' writing that looks like it is all a mistake with the lines through it. They also copped it when the Sudanese moved in with their even weirder shops.

Many people complained. They are idiots. I loved walking into the Asian, Indian and African shops. It was like taking an overseas tour only 5 minutes walk away. I loved being able to eat all kinds of food and not being ripped off by White Australians charging high prices in their needlessly glossy white malls.
    I agree with you mate, it's great to have access to a variety of cuisines and cultural experiences in the one city/town. The only thing that bothers me with the low prices in some restaurants/cafes/sushi bars etc is that through talking to my students, I know I'm saving money because they're being employed for $5-10 an hour. Nearly always by expats from their own country.

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information