Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Results 616 to 624 of 624
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: Isis

  1. #616
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,510
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Depends how you define religious really. Everyone has some sort of system of beliefs that gives meaning to their lives. This, to me anyway, is inherently religious, whether the system is built around organised religion (e.g. environmentalism) or some political ideology, or whatever.
    Yeah we've talked about religion substitutes here, but then you aren't really talking about religion any more, but that base psychological impulse that craves that sort of structure/meaning.

    Still, the point that organised religion - i.e. Christianity/Islam/Hinduism - is uniquely destructive in terms of turning people into fanatical ideologues with no regard to the common humanity of those who are deemed foes and hence unhuman is hardly true. And, since the Enlightenment, it's not even that effective compared to certain other forces one could name.
    Last edited by Spark; 11-03-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

  2. #617
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    47,490
    Yeah absolutely, I'm just not sure that distinction really takes us very far.

  3. #618
    International Coach ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    11,516
    Because since enlightenment we have forced religion out of social/political lives in most places.

    Also pointing to non religious ideologies when topic specifically concerns religious ideologies (truly supported by scriptures or not) is just whatabouttery. Strange that I even have to point it out.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

  4. #619
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,510
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yeah absolutely, I'm just not sure that distinction really takes us very far.
    Well it kind of does, and it actually goes back to what I was saying about how meaningless the "in the name of" construction is.

    You can do everything you like to stamp out organised religion. Your atheist utopia will still be made of humans, and they'll still have the same inbuilt psychological needs. Which, ultimately, will manifest itself somehow, and recent history demonstrates that organised religion is far from the most congenitally malignant force it could be attached towards.


  5. #620
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,510
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    Because since enlightenment we have forced religion out of social/political lives in most places.

    Also pointing to non religious ideologies when topic specifically concerns religious ideologies (truly supported by scriptures or not) is just whatabouttery. Strange that I even have to point it out.
    "Religion is the most evil force in the world with a unique ability to make people do evil things!"
    "Wait, why are you bringing up all those other forces? We're only talking about religion here."

    yeah nah.

    Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Dishonest to suggest religion doesn't have a unique ability to make otherwise 'normal' people switch off their moral compass if they are fully convinced of their righteousness.
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction"
    -- Blaise Pascal.
    I mean really.

  6. #621
    International Coach ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    11,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    "Religion is the most evil force in the world with a unique ability to make people do evil things!"
    "Wait, why are you bringing up all those other forces? We're only talking about religion here."
    I didn't say those things. Come of it.

    Edit: even if I said I won't be too off the mark honestly. Whether it is top 3-4 or *the* top worst thing affecting mindsets globally would be pointless hair splitting.
    Last edited by ankitj; 11-03-2019 at 12:18 PM.

  7. #622
    International Coach ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    11,516
    Spark is doing the equivalent of "not all men", "what about child custody" in a discussion on women's issues.

  8. #623
    The Tiger King smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    29,687
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    Spark is doing the equivalent of "not all men", "what about child custody" in a discussion on women's issues.
    How so?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  9. #624
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,886
    Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Dishonest to suggest religion doesn't have a unique ability to make otherwise 'normal' people switch off their moral compass if they are fully convinced of their righteousness.
    Well sure, but in this particular case the person hasn't switched off their moral compass so much as not really having a moral compass or having made any thought about morality to begin with
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

    - Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •