Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 626
Like Tree315Likes

Thread: Feminism thread

  1. #46
    Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    26,992
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    Agree fully. Ideally I would like for demand not to exist for such crass performances. Until then it is difficult to question the choice of actresses. It almost sounds like moral policing, which contradicts with the idea of complete autonomy of women over their bodies. Also to reiterate the actresses for most part are under no pressure or financial need to perform these acts. Some actresses do actually refuse to do any such dance performances. The ones that don't, don't necessarily have a view on whether they would like such portrayal.

    To be clear also, the "male gaze" charge is not limited to these sort of acts alone. This artistic but sensual act too got condemned by some Feminists (though they were divided) recently for catering to male gaze: https://youtu.be/Ff82XtV78xo (has English subtitles, so go ahead and watch it)
    You've missed the point. Male gaze is a problem because it's so endemic. If you can't see it because things that seem entirely normal to you and to the rest of us are what people highlight as the issue, that shows how ingrained it is.

    While I accept that calling out 'male gaze' and providing no other contextual criticism is not helpful, there's no getting around that this exists and is an issue in terms of equality in culture. It's not an acceptable state of affairs that things that are set out to be presented for everyone are assumed to be from the point of view of a heterosexual man.

    As it is we have male perspective as a default. Female perspective is subversive. It's a symptom of a really big, really difficult problem.
    NZTailender likes this.
    I get a nod, the tiny smile that doesn't come with teeth
    Maybe you don't know who I am

  2. #47
    State Captain Burner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Leave her, Johnny, leave her.
    Posts
    1,891
    Are none of you going to say how hot (beautiful) that chick (woman) in the photo is?

    I am the disappointed.

  3. #48
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Europe, on the outside looking in
    Posts
    17,754
    Now that women have achieved equality feminism can be abolished

  4. #49
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    27,374
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    I kind of realized that that term is not universal. Has been used in Indian media. It's basically about objectifying / sexy-fying women in media or entertainment industry for pleasure of "male gaze".

    EDIT: Elaborating further, this is somewhat tricky and I struggle to come to terms with this. On one hand, there is talk of complete sexual autonomy of women and their right to choose how they dress up and behave. On the other hand, there is condemnation of excessively sexualized portrayal like the one in the still below from an Indian movie:

    That's an interesting picture to choose. The woman is of much higher status than any of the men. A picture with the male/female positions reversed would strike me as more sexist than this one.


  5. #50
    International Regular Swingpanzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Not as talented as Shoaib Malik
    Posts
    3,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    That's an interesting picture to choose. The woman is of much higher status than any of the men. A picture with the male/female positions reversed would strike me as more sexist than this one.
    yes, people talk about how she is being objectified (to me the pitcure is unappealing) but equally disgusting is how the men are literally BEGGING for a chance to be with her.

  6. #51
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    37,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingpanzee View Post
    yes, people talk about how she is being objectified (to me the pitcure is unappealing) but equally disgusting is how the men are literally BEGGING for a chance to be with her.
    Well it's pretty straightforward. Why is that a picture of power? What is she flaunting and what do the men want?

    The image isn't remarkable because in isolation it shows a woman being in a position of power over men, it's because this is the typical explanation when pulp media is portraying a female as a protagonist.

    You can definitely read way too heavily into these things but it's definitely a cop out argument to say that men being portrayed like this does anything at all towards "balancing out" the inequalities. I don't really want to weigh in on this debate because it's one of those things that is actually improving over time but is probably still going to exist in some unpleasant way till long after I'm dead.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT

  7. #52
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    13,068
    Less than a page to get into a structure-agency debate.

    I've trained you well. Carry on.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

  8. #53
    International Coach zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    14,570
    Eh I have a view on this that might be pretty dire.

    We are where we are as a society for a reason.

    I don't think patriarchy and inequality between sexes was imposed onto us by some foreign being. It's a concept that evolved from humans and put into place by humans into their own society.

    The earliest tribes and societies had no grasp of the concept of sexism. It's just that, genetically, men would fight and hunt and seek power and look to impregnate lots of women and the women would be draw towards nurturing and caring and building a community.

    Add hundreds of thousands of years onto this and we end up where we are at now.

    We haven't changed biologically, but we realise that its wrong to impose expectation and limitations on other people, limiting their freedom in the process. Women should obviously be free to do what they like. So should men. We shouldn't have to follow cultural roles.

    But in a perfect society...things would still be more or less the same. Traditional family structures will still be commonplace. Male dominated industries will continue to remain so. That's because, I believe, that a lot of us choose willingly to end up in these roles. Give the world perfect freedom and I expect most of us will just choose to be where we are now. Lots of women love being moms and hate being engineers. Lots of men love working and hate raising kids. They're not going to change that just because it's easier for them too.

    I feel a lot of arguments on feminism fail to account for all this. We aren't going to re-wire the human brain. We aren't going to eradicate the genetic differences in place. We can create a world that is equally accepting of men and women in all of walks of life, but that doesn't mean we are going to have a 50/50 split in everything.

    All this talk of lack of women CEOs or stay at home dads...idk, I feel it's nonsense. Lets talk about removing the barriers in place for women in society, definitely. Lets talk about removing these pre-conceptions written into our culture. Lets stop defining gender roles. But lets not expect things to actually change significantly as a result. We've reached where we are as a society, as a species, for a reason. It's coded into our DNA. It's pointless to fight that.
    Last edited by zorax; 27-07-2015 at 12:02 AM.
    Ausage and Ikki like this.

  9. #54
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    do you apply that to race relations as well - in particular white and black? or do you see that as different?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  10. #55
    International Regular Swingpanzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Not as talented as Shoaib Malik
    Posts
    3,395
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    We can create a world that is equally accepting of men and women in all of walks of life, but that doesn't mean we are going to have a 50/50 split in everything.
    agree with this

  11. #56
    Cricketer Of The Year ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    You've missed the point. Male gaze is a problem because it's so endemic. If you can't see it because things that seem entirely normal to you and to the rest of us are what people highlight as the issue, that shows how ingrained it is.

    While I accept that calling out 'male gaze' and providing no other contextual criticism is not helpful, there's no getting around that this exists and is an issue in terms of equality in culture. It's not an acceptable state of affairs that things that are set out to be presented for everyone are assumed to be from the point of view of a heterosexual man.

    As it is we have male perspective as a default. Female perspective is subversive. It's a symptom of a really big, really difficult problem.
    I agree with both parts of your argument. Don't think there is much to disagree
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

  12. #57
    International Coach zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    14,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    do you apply that to race relations as well - in particular white and black? or do you see that as different?
    IDK. I want to say there are some genetic differences between the races, and assuming all things equal, different races may find a proficiency in different industries. But I'm not very well versed on this so IDK if these differences are significant enough to overcome the effect of nurture. I mean, Patriarchy exists in 99% of the cultures on the planet; so that's something we can say is fairly strongly attributed to genetic differences...but race differences? IDK.

    I do think race differences are also a lot more complex; in that it's human nature to group up with people who are alike. We are a species who thrives on a 'Us vs Them' mentality (Look at sports, nationalism, religion...), and race is one of those things that can help us identify with one group and against another. Create a perfect society, and I'd still expect people of the same race to group up together - as it's a very easy to see someone of a different race and go "Hey, you and I have something in common". It's hardwired into us, and I don't think we can change that.

  13. #58
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    37,970
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    IDK. I want to say there are some genetic differences between the races, and assuming all things equal, different races may find a proficiency in different industries. But I'm not very well versed on this so IDK if these differences are significant enough to overcome the effect of nurture. I mean, Patriarchy exists in 99% of the cultures on the planet; so that's something we can say is fairly strongly attributed to genetic differences...but race differences? IDK.

    I do think race differences are also a lot more complex; in that it's human nature to group up with people who are alike. We are a species who thrives on a 'Us vs Them' mentality (Look at sports, nationalism, religion...), and race is one of those things that can help us identify with one group and against another. Create a perfect society, and I'd still expect people of the same race to group up together - as it's a very easy to see someone of a different race and go "Hey, you and I have something in common". It's hardwired into us, and I don't think we can change that.
    I think it's very dangerous to just attribute things to genetic differences and using it as an example of why it's okay. We're a young species, and we've only been giving this civilisation yarn a try for a few thousand years. Look how markedly we've changed in the last 100 years.

    You touch on a point in the second part of your post, "Us. vs them". That applies to how men and woman have traditionally interacted as well, men are naturally larger and stronger than women. Who knows how much that has changed in how we as a civilisation have developed? We're just one big Bronze Age boys club. That doesn't make it 'right', that makes it the 'natural' order of things. Nature isn't fair, nor civilised. We're the first species in the known universe that can actually dictate what is right so the natural order of things can GTFO.
    Flem274* likes this.

  14. #59
    Cricketer Of The Year ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8,670
    I think drawing a parallel between race interactions and gender interactions is very unhelpful. In days of slavery, blacks were not even treated as humans and were not taken care of in any real sense. In case of traditional gender roles, there is good argument to be made that women were taken care of and a lot of role segregation was aimed to "protect" women. For example only men went to war so as to protect women who were less disposable because of their ability to give birth to children.

    Of course with advancement of technology and more stable political organization, there is no need to sustain traditional gender roles. We need equal opportunity for all, that may not mean equal outcome as Zorax mentions.

  15. #60
    Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elton Chicken Burrah
    Posts
    25,534
    I do find the concept of "lack of representation" of women in certain posts a rather pointless topic though. The aim should always be to provide equal opportunity, not equal representation. It's similar to the quota system, which is a whole other debate, but I find it annoying when people make a big deal out of it when women ascend to positions of power , or are elected into high posts in society. I feel its counter-intuitive for the feminist movement as it ends up implying that she only got to that post because women required representation, and not because she deserved it on merit anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-04-2014, 07:03 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-04-2013, 03:49 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-05-2007, 06:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •