Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: World Politics Thread

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    it's probably not coincidental that there are no scheduled elections for three years after this
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Does anyone else get annoyed when people refer to the UK simply as "England"? I can sort of understand it if it's in a book which isn't particularly about politics, but when it is a political book, it's terrible scholarship.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    Does anyone else get annoyed when people refer to the UK simply as "England"? I can sort of understand it if it's in a book which isn't particularly about politics, but when it is a political book, it's terrible scholarship.
    I think the people who get annoyed most are those in the UK who aren't living in England.

Probably because England projects itself as being synonymous with the UK through popular media at times tbh.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Former Peruvian President, Alan Garcia has killed himself as police came to arrest him over corruption. Very dramatic way to die.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    He hasn’t died yet

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Two dead, including 12-year-old, after Japan mass stabbing
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...jured-11570932

Ugh

nasty
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

They scored a single, declared and still won by an innings

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americ...-trumps-urging

Israel barred entry to two Muslim members of the United States Congress after President Donald Trump said the pair should be prevented from visiting the country because they "hate Israel & all Jewish people".

Israel's Interior Ministry said on Thursday (Friday NZ time) that Democratic Representatives Ilhan Omar of Minnesota and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan wouldn't be allowed into Israel because of their support for a boycott of the country. The two had planned to begin their visit this weekend.

Democrats immediately blasted Israel's decision.

"It is utterly egregious for the Israeli government to deny entry to two sitting members of the United States Congress," House Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler said in a statement.

"I strongly condemn this decision and urge the Israeli government to allow entry to these congresswomen and welcome them in the respectful, dignified manner to which they are entitled as official representatives of the United States."

Israel's Interior Minister said in a text message that the decision was made because the lawmakers "exploit the most central stage of all to support organisations such as BDS that call for a boycott against Israel". A spokeswoman for the US Embassy in Israel declined to comment.

BDS refers to the "boycott, divestment and sanctions" movement against Israel over the country's treatment of Palestinians, for which Omar and Tlaib have voiced support. Boycott activists have also been prohibited from entering Israel for the same reason.

Tlaib and Omar didn't respond to multiple messages sent to their offices.

Israel's decision was announced shortly after Trump intervened, tweeting, "It would show great weakness if Israel allowed Rep. Omar and Rep. Tlaib to visit. They hate Israel & all Jewish people, & there is nothing that can be said or done to change their minds."

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu defended the decision, saying it was taken after reviewing an itinerary of the congresswomen's visit that made clear that their "sole purpose was to harm Israel and increase incitement against it".

The congresswomen, part of a group of four female Democratic lawmakers under attack from Trump, planned to visit both Jerusalem and the West Bank on their privately funded trip.

Miftah, the Palestinian Initiative for Global Dialogue and Democracy that organised their tour, criticised Israel's decision, calling it "an assault on the Palestinian people's right to reach out to decision-makers and other actors from around the world".

The ban is likely to escalate a growing rift between Israel and the US Democratic Party, which has become increasingly critical of Netanyahu, a firm ally of Trump. One House Democrat, Mark Pocan of Wisconsin, said on Twitter that "no member of Congress" should visit Israel until the decision was reversed.

"Denying entry to members of the United States Congress is a sign of weakness, not strength," said Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. "It will only hurt the US-Israeli relationship and support for Israel in America.

"No democratic society should fear an open debate. Many strong supporters of Israel will be deeply disappointed in this decision, which the Israeli government should reverse."

House Appropriations Chairman Nita Lowey called the Israeli ambassador on Wednesday and urged Israel to allow the congresswomen enter the country, according to a House Democratic aide.

Senator Elizabeth Warren, who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination, said on Twitter, "Israel doesn't advance its case as a tolerant democracy or unwavering US ally by barring elected members of Congress from visiting because of their political views. This would be a shameful, unprecedented move."

But the US ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, said the US Government supported Israel's decision.

"In contrast to the nearly 70 freshmen members of Congress who just recently completed, or who are currently pursuing, a balanced visit to Israel that includes meetings with both Israeli and Palestinian leaders, the Tlaib/Omar Delegation has limited its exposure to tours organised by the most strident of BDS activists," Friedman said.

"This trip, pure and simple, is nothing more than an effort to fuel the BDS engine that Congresswomen Tlaib and Omar so vigorously support."

Netanyahu faces national elections next month after earlier failing to form a government.

The prime minister said that if Tlaib, who has an uncle and other relatives in the West Bank, submitted a humanitarian request to visit family it would be considered on the condition that she pledged not to promote boycotts against Israel.

The influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee criticised the Israeli government's move.

"We disagree with Reps. Omar and Tlaib's support for the anti-Israel and anti-peace BDS movement, along with Rep. Tlaib's calls for a one-state solution," the group said on Twitter. "We also believe every member of Congress should be able to visit and experience our democratic ally Israel firsthand."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

As far as recession indicators go, I have to say that's particularly unorthodox.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    As far as recession indicators go, I have to say that's particularly unorthodox.
    sorry wrong thread lol...

can one of the mods move it to the world politics or middle east thread?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49479470

Well done on Bolsonaro for continuing to burn down the Amazon.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

He's gone completely mad.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    He's gone completely mad.
    Gone?

some unpopular opinions re: America's withdrawal from Northern Syria.

US and global support for the SDF can and should only go so far. I support self-determination, but not if the context is following/during a fractious civil war that's forced everyone to split off into seperate regions, I don't think that's truly democratic. The middle east doesn't need another ethno-state. There's also an economic component here. Syria doesn't need its most fertile provinces to suddenly become "independent" (i.e. no longer contributing to the economy).
    DriveClub likes this.

Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast

Thread Information