cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 496 to 510 of 585
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: World Politics Thread

  1. #496
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    7,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    Lucky you are not a Christian. Why do you give a ****?
    Irrespective of whether Watson has a point or not, this is a pretty terrible counter argument.
    NotMcKenzie and Bahnz like this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

    RIP Craig

  2. #497
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    7,562
    Also this is one of the sillier dick measuring contests going around the internet. The answer is the same no matter what religion is being talked about. Don't persecute people on the basis of their religion. Simples.
    andruid and NotMcKenzie like this.

  3. #498
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Munificent_Fool View Post
    They publish plenty of nonsense.


    Nah it's rubbish.

    If we're talking about the West, Spark is right. Anti-semitism far outmatches "Christianophobia" whatever the hell that is. If we're talking world wide, muslim on muslim sectarianism alone accounts for more persecution than anti-Christian bigotry. Add into that western imperialism and it's a no contest.



    Religious Hostilities Reach Six-Year High

    The share of countries with a high or very high level of social hostilities involving religion reached a six-year peak in 2012, according to a new study by the Pew Research Center. A third (33%) of the 198 countries and territories included in the study had high religious hostilities in 2012, up from 29% in 2011 and 20% as of mid-2007. Religious hostilities increased in every major region of the world except the Americas. The sharpest increase was in the Middle East and North Africa, which still is feeling the effects of the 2010-11 political uprisings known as the Arab Spring.1 There also was a significant increase in religious hostilities in the Asia-Pacific region, where China edged into the “high” category for the first time. The share of countries with a high or very high level of government restrictions on religion stayed roughly the same in the latest year studied. About three-in-ten countries in the world (29%) had a high or very high level of government restrictions in 2012, compared with 28% in 2011 and 20% as of mid-2007. Europe had the biggest increase in the median level of government restrictions in 2012, followed closely by the Middle East-North Africa – the only other region where the median level of government restrictions on religion rose. Looking at the overall level of restrictions – whether resulting from government policies or from social hostilities – the study finds that restrictions on religion are high or very high in 43% of countries, also a six-year high.

    Religious Hostilities Reach Six-Year High | Pew Research Center
    (The PEW survey was published in 2014 so it’s a bit old, but I don’t think that the World has improved much since then)


    You could argue that Christians are the most ‘harassed’ religious group purely because they are the most populous. And that’s a fair point.

    But this still shouldn’t distract us from the fact that Christians have suffered systemic ‘harrassment’ in 151 different countries since the survey began in 2006, and that Christianophobia remains a major problem across the globe in absolute terms.

    The msm prefers to focus on Islamophobia which is why it is high on everyones consciousness, but this seems biased if you consider that Chistianophobia is on a global par at the very least.
    NotMcKenzie likes this.

  4. #499
    U19 Cricketer Munificent_Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Also this is one of the sillier dick measuring contests going around the internet. The answer is the same no matter what religion is being talked about. Don't persecute people on the basis of their religion. Simples.
    I don't think anyone here is pro-persecution. Seems a rather fatuous remark.

    One side of the argument is silly; Watson's side.


  5. #500
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    7,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Munificent_Fool View Post
    I don't think anyone here is pro-persecution. Seems a rather fatuous remark.

    One side of the argument is silly; Watson's side.
    Never said you (nor anyone else) were. My point is that people are overthinking it.

    And yes, I'm aware that Watson started this silly argument.

  6. #501
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Also this is one of the sillier dick measuring contests going around the internet. The answer is the same no matter what religion is being talked about. Don't persecute people on the basis of their religion. Simples.
    But that is never ever going to happen in any society that you care to think of. There is no historical precedent for religious memes getting-on, and neither will there be despite all the wishful thinking by Liberals and Liberatarians.

    Interestingly, Conservatives like yourself believe that if no one mentions religious differences then society will magically get more harmonious and less balkanised, but that ironically must involve the suppression of free-speech - something that no one wants except the ultra-Left.

    The reason that global surveys on religion need to be published/highlighted like the one above is not to prevent intolerance and harassment (because it can’t be done) but to remind politicians like Merkel what their long term policy strategy should be.

    Call it a reality check for Liberal politicians if you like.
    Last edited by watson; 03-01-2018 at 04:31 PM.

  7. #502
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    7,562
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Interestingly, Conservatives like yourself believe that if no one mentions religious differences then society will magically get more harmonious and less balkanised, but that ironically must involve the suppression of free-speech - something that no one wants except the ultra-Left.
    Haha. WTF is this rubbish?

    A. I'm a conservative now? Lol ok.
    B. I said nothing about not mentioning the differences in religions and "suppression" of religious discussion/criticism is a stance so far out of my wheelhouse it makes me question if you've ever read my posts. My consistent position is that religions should be criticised separately from the individuals that practice them. Eg, criticism of Islam distinct from criticism of Muslims.

  8. #503
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    Well you did say that you’re against ‘dick measuring contests’. I’m not because nothing is to be gained by ignoring either Islamaphobia or Christianophobia, and pretending that they don’t exist.

    But yes, I agree that that criticising monotheism is not the same as criticsing Jews/Christians/Muslims.

  9. #504
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    7,562
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Well you did say that you’re against ‘dick measuring contests’. I’m not because nothing is to be gained by ignoring either Islamaphobia or Christianophobia, and pretending that they don’t exist.

    But yes, I agree that that criticising monotheism is not the same as criticsing Jews/Christians/Muslims.
    Being against religious persecution doesn't mean giving a **** about whether X is greater than Y though. That's about the extent of my point. There's no need to elevate the plight of the Copts over that of the Rohingya (and vice-versa).

    Tangentially, both Islamophobia and Christianophobia are very stupid words.

  10. #505
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Being against religious persecution doesn't mean giving a **** about whether X is greater than Y though. That's about the extent of my point. There's no need to elevate the plight of the Copts over that of the Rohingya (and vice-versa).

    Tangentially, both Islamophobia and Christianophobia are very stupid words.
    I don’t think that the survey, or myself are elevating the plight of one group over another. The main point has been that religious memes compete with eachother and don’t get-on. The end result is across the board discrimination and harassment on a global scale. That’s about it really. Yes we are all aware of persecuted Sunnis and Shia in the Middle East, but the ‘genocide’ of Christain communities is equally as bad and often forgotten.

    Also, discrimination and harassment don’t appear out of thin air, but must have something precede them. Somethines that thing is Islamophobia and Christianophobia. Of course I have no way of proving the connection, but it does seem like a commonsense assumption to me.

    EDIT:
    I say commonsense assumption because of my trip to Beirut in 1998. During the trip I stayed at the apartment of my friend Mohammad which was situated on the old Greenline. I wanted to visit the ‘Shrine of Our Lady’ at Harissa but Mohammad didn’t want to visit the Shrine/Church because of the idolatry. The fact that Maronites had been killing Muslims for 2 decades was apparently neither here nor there. In the end Mohammed did visit the Shrine/Church with me, but he was visibly shaken by his first ever time inside a Church. I tend to think of this viceral revulsion as a phobia - a Christianophobia.
    Last edited by watson; 03-01-2018 at 06:16 PM.

  11. #506
    International Debutant Victor Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Irrespective of whether Watson has a point or not, this is a pretty terrible counter argument.
    It was not a counter argument. Sometimes are pointless.

  12. #507
    International Debutant Victor Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,315
    Just because you have so many phobias is not good cause to ascribe them to other people. You really do try to intellectualise somethings way to much. It was likely less phobia and more confusion that some people can believe something that one can't rationalise. Visibly shaken by walking into a church. FMD.

  13. #508
    Cricketer Of The Year ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    9,316
    I hate the use of -phobia suffix in a pejorative sense. Holding an unfavorable view of some ideology doesn't mean a phobia. And pray tell me what is bad about having a phobia anyway. I can be accused of having communism-phobia or nazism-phobia. So what?

    [I recognize this post is low on useful content. You can pass on it.]
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

  14. #509
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    48,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Haha. WTF is this rubbish?

    A. I'm a conservative now? Lol ok.
    B. I said nothing about not mentioning the differences in religions and "suppression" of religious discussion/criticism is a stance so far out of my wheelhouse it makes me question if you've ever read my posts. My consistent position is that religions should be criticised separately from the individuals that practice them. Eg, criticism of Islam distinct from criticism of Muslims.
    m8 y u do dis to yourself
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

    forever 63*

  15. #510
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    Just because you have so many phobias is not good cause to ascribe them to other people. You really do try to intellectualise somethings way to much. It was likely less phobia and more confusion that some people can believe something that one can't rationalise. Visibly shaken by walking into a church. FMD.
    Perhaps you should have a chat with our msm in Australia as the term Islamophobia is commonplace and assumed to be a thing. But you rarely hear the term Christianophobia or Westernophobia for some reason, even after a terrorist attack where the target has been a Coptic Church or a secular pop concert.

    I don’t mind if the term phobia is dropped altogether, but if it is to be used ad nauseum by the msm then there should be some consistency. Otherwise the term Islamophobia becomes a form of ‘reverse hate-speech’.


    We have to stop normalising relentless Islamophobia in Australia

    For Muslims in Australia, particularly hijab-wearing women and their children, Islamophobic attacks are all too common. It needs to change.

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...a-in-australia


    The rise of Islamophobia and anti-Semitism in Trump’s America

    Hate crimes targeting Muslims and Jews have increased during Donald Trump’s rise to power. But is he really to blame?

    https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-rise...rump-s-america
    Last edited by watson; 04-01-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    NotMcKenzie likes this.

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The American Politics thread
    By LongHopCassidy in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 21483
    Last Post: Today, 02:10 AM
  2. The British Politics Thread
    By cover drive man in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 10978
    Last Post: 15-07-2018, 09:24 PM
  3. The Indian Politics Thread
    By Pratters in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 02:33 AM
  4. The Indian politics thread
    By Pratters in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19-05-2009, 02:09 AM
  5. US politics thread
    By silentstriker in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •