Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 435
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: World Politics Thread

  1. #16
    International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10,876
    andmark likes this.

  2. #17
    International Regular andmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    3,433
    I think we can sort of forget about how awful nuclear war could be since the end of the Cold War and we should still be trying to cut down the amounts of nuclear weapons in existence. I don't recall it being high on the world agenda since the Iraq War and the rise of various Islamist groups.
    Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.

  3. #18
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    12,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Why shouldn't it?

    If the US invades Pakistan, where would you put it? Pak politics thread or the US politics thread? Why not have a geo political/world politics thread for issues involving multiple states and have the state political threads for internal state issues.
    I suspect that a major event like that would have its own thread, but this is an incredibly tedious discussion so I'm going to stop.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

  4. #19
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    44,660
    why dont india and pakistan just get along
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

    Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.


  5. #20
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    16,457
    There was no Bangladesh politics thread so didn't know where to post it, but that Murder of Blogger Avjit Roy in Bangladesh was absolutely shocking and disgusting. The pics of him on ground and her wife in blood was so sickening and tragic.

    Atheist blogger Avijit Roy 'was not just a person ? he was a movement' | World news | The Guardian

    Avijit Roy's murder was planned well ahead | Zee News

    Avijit Roy was hacked to death for his secular views. Let?s share his story | Alom Shaha | Comment is free | The Guardian

  6. #21
    Cricketer Of The Year watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,477
    “Our aim is to build a society which will not be bound by the dictates of arbitrary authority, comfortable superstition, stifling tradition, or suffocating orthodoxy but would rather be based on reason, compassion, humanity, equality and science,” Roy described the founding mission during a 2007 interview. By its creator’s description, it was the first South Asian humanist and rationalist forum on the internet.
    Amen.
    1. Len Hutton 2. Jack Hobbs 3. Walter Hammond 4. Peter May 5. Ken Barrington 6. Denis Compton 7. Alan Knott 8. Hedley Verity 9. John Snow 10. Fred Trueman 11. Sydney Barnes

  7. #22
    International Coach Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wigton Unzud
    Posts
    12,455
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    I think we can sort of forget about how awful nuclear war could be since the end of the Cold War and we should still be trying to cut down the amounts of nuclear weapons in existence. I don't recall it being high on the world agenda since the Iraq War and the rise of various Islamist groups.
    Yeah, agree with this completely. In the long run I think the numbers of nuclear weapons in Russia and America will have to decline, as the massive Cold War era arsenals are mind-bogglingly expensive to maintain. But in the short term its still really scary to read things like this:

    Russia Nuclear Weapons Train -- Combat Railway Missile Complex

    in conjunction with things like this:

    Norwegian rocket incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  8. #23
    International Regular andmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    3,433
    I'm usually a fan of the theory of peace through a need to avoid Mutually Assured Destruction (I know the theory has some big name but I can't think of it), but the conflict in Ukraine has really put it to the test. In the pre-nuclear weapons days, there would have been possibility of war between Russia and the west because of the west's need to avoid a growing Russian threat in the Balkans. This would have made Russian actions in Ukraine incredibly risky for Russia because of that possibility- and very possibly they would have avoided military involvement in Ukraine. However, because of nuclear weapons, the west can't risk nuclear war against Russia because of MAD and so can't risk war against Russia in any sense- giving Russia much more maneuverability in Ukraine.
    Last edited by andmark; 09-03-2015 at 03:31 AM.

  9. #24
    Cricketer Of The Year ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I hear we're looking to sign a non-aggression pact with Mars next week, while free trade negotiations with Neptune are going swimmingly.
    With the whole Mars one mission, it might soon be needed!

    As an aside, Mars one is such a crazy, ambitious mission. Those signing up for it must have some guts too.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

  10. #25
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Holland/North Zealand
    Posts
    25,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    free trade negotiations with Neptune are going swimmingly.
    all the likes
    Dan likes this.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

  11. #26
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    12,962
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    I'm usually a fan of the theory of peace through a need to avoid Mutually Assured Destruction (I know the theory has some big name but I can't think of it), but the conflict in Ukraine has really put it to the test. In the pre-nuclear weapons days, there would have been possibility of war between Russia and the west because of the west's need to avoid a growing Russian threat in the Balkans. This would have made Russian actions in Ukraine incredibly risky for Russia because of that possibility- and very possibly they would have avoided military involvement in Ukraine. However, because of nuclear weapons, the west can't risk nuclear war against Russia because of MAD and so can't risk war against Russia in any sense- giving Russia much more maneuverability in Ukraine.
    Even Mearsheimer, who suggested nuclear stability theory in the first place, has since distanced himself from it. Literally no serious person in the international relations field actually thinks MAD is a good policy idea to artificially create; its all about managing it.

  12. #27
    International Regular andmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    3,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Even Mearsheimer, who suggested nuclear stability theory in the first place, has since distanced himself from it. Literally no serious person in the international relations field actually thinks MAD is a good policy idea to artificially create; its all about managing it.
    It seems like such a stupidly risky theory to stick to anyway I suppose, because if it's wrong, the world ends.

  13. #28
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    #BantheGLC
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    With the whole Mars one mission, it might soon be needed!

    As an aside, Mars one is such a crazy, ambitious mission. Those signing up for it must have some guts too.

    Nah, the male science geeks are doing it to increase their chances of getting laid.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

  14. #29
    International Coach Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wigton Unzud
    Posts
    12,455
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    It seems like such a stupidly risky theory to stick to anyway I suppose, because if it's wrong, the world ends.
    It is in some sense. But at the same time, MAD is excruciatingly difficult to crawl out of. If either the Americans or Russians were to unilaterally engage in large-scale nuclear disarmament, that would leave them completely at the mercy of their MAD partner. You need agreements on both sides to reduce armaments, and that requires trust and international oversight - both of which are in short supply atm.

    Like I said, eventually both sides will be forced to retreat from their current positions because of the sheer cost of maintaining it - the Russians have been recycling their surplus nukes for use in nuclear power stations for decades. The US are spending about $350 billion in the next decade on their nukes. Russia will probably be spending substantially less - especially now that the oil price has collapsed - and that's scary in and of itself. However, this will likely take a long time (probably decades) before nuke numbers return to 'reasonable' levels.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 09-03-2015 at 03:19 PM.

  15. #30
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    44,641
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    I'm usually a fan of the theory of peace through a need to avoid Mutually Assured Destruction (I know the theory has some big name but I can't think of it), but the conflict in Ukraine has really put it to the test. In the pre-nuclear weapons days, there would have been possibility of war between Russia and the west because of the west's need to avoid a growing Russian threat in the Balkans. This would have made Russian actions in Ukraine incredibly risky for Russia because of that possibility- and very possibly they would have avoided military involvement in Ukraine. However, because of nuclear weapons, the west can't risk nuclear war against Russia because of MAD and so can't risk war against Russia in any sense- giving Russia much more maneuverability in Ukraine.
    You say this like Russia is working from a position of strength rather than a position of extreme weakness, which is far closer to the truth.
    Samuel_Vimes likes this.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

    forever 63*

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The American Politics thread
    By LongHopCassidy in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 18831
    Last Post: Yesterday, 10:29 PM
  2. The British Politics Thread
    By cover drive man in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 10346
    Last Post: 19-10-2017, 03:06 AM
  3. The Indian Politics Thread
    By Pratters in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 02:33 AM
  4. The Indian politics thread
    By Pratters in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19-05-2009, 02:09 AM
  5. US politics thread
    By silentstriker in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •