Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 955
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: World Politics Thread

  1. #196
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    11,159
    Don't think NK is likely to cause any trouble, for all it`s belligerence it is very internally focused. As long as America via SK does not threaten it it is likely to be all posture. The assassination and issues with Malaysian at the moment will die down and/or China will step in and likely get it sorted. Bigger issue in the region is how China responds to Trumps rhetoric/belligerence, how far China is willing to push America/Japan in the South China sea and how much Trump is willing to push back.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

    "I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

  2. #197
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    the guy's trash bro
    Posts
    48,437
    https://twitter.com/AP/status/839035657557323776

    Geeeez take a chill pill china
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

    Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

  3. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    It's this sort of insidious and pervasive NeoLiberal BS designed to keep us all suitably aesthetised in a boring post-Modern kind of way that drives me to distraction.

    Yes the author has made an abstract comment that is vagely correct. But realistically he needs to crank up some Edward Elgar on his stereo, listen to a Winston Churchill speech or two, watch a replay of the 2005 Ashes, and then contemplate life without antibiotics, TV and telephone, the World-Wide-Web, light bulbs and chocolate bars. Sure the weather is a bit crap and the England football team haven't won anything of note for 50 years etc etc. But really just lighten-up or **** off....


    How 'Collective Narcissism' is Driving World Politics

    How do you feel about your nation? Does it make you angry when others criticise your country? Do you feel the world would be a better place if your country had more of a say? Do you wish other countries would more quickly recognise your country’s authority?

    Anyone who answered “yes” to these questions would be showing signs of “collective narcissism” at the level of their nationality – at least according to social psychologists. The questions are adapted from a nine-item Collective Narcissism Scale used in research.*.....

    BBC - Future - How ?collective narcissism? is directing world politics
    Last edited by watson; 09-03-2017 at 05:42 AM.

  4. #199
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,723
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    Don't think NK is likely to cause any trouble, for all it`s belligerence it is very internally focused. As long as America via SK does not threaten it it is likely to be all posture. The assassination and issues with Malaysian at the moment will die down and/or China will step in and likely get it sorted. Bigger issue in the region is how China responds to Trumps rhetoric/belligerence, how far China is willing to push America/Japan in the South China sea and how much Trump is willing to push back.
    I don't think this is true. From what I understand, the "crazy but hermit-like" image of NK isn't false. A better approximation would be a modern fascist state along the lines of Imperial Japan or indeed Nazi Germany (the racial element to their propaganda is... very obvious).

    Countries like that tend not to care about strategic realities in the way most countries do. As a general rule, I don't see why people so quickly write off the nutty **** their state propaganda services—which, remember, is all their population hears to a first approximation—as just wacky stuff to throw people off their trail as opposed to, y'know, what they actually believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Any realistic prospect of war in that region, or is this just the usual posturing? Would need China to more explicitly dump NK first, yeah?
    I mean I get the feeling that NK cares very little about whether China has its back or not. And I also get the feeling that China would dearly, dearly love to have literally anyone else as an "ally" than North Korea in the spot on the globe that North Korea occupies, but they have to work with what they have.
    Last edited by Spark; 09-03-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?


  5. #200
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,723

  6. #201
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    11,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I don't think this is true. From what I understand, the "crazy but hermit-like" image of NK isn't false. A better approximation would be a modern fascist state along the lines of Imperial Japan or indeed Nazi Germany (the racial element to their propaganda is... very obvious).

    Countries like that tend not to care about strategic realities in the way most countries do. As a general rule, I don't see why people so quickly write off the nutty **** their state propaganda services—which, remember, is all their population hears to a first approximation—as just wacky stuff to throw people off their trail as opposed to, y'know, what they actually believe.



    I mean I get the feeling that NK cares very little about whether China has its back or not. And I also get the feeling that China would dearly, dearly love to have literally anyone else as an "ally" than North Korea in the spot on the globe that North Korea occupies, but they have to work with what they have.
    Without China NK does not exist anymore, China needs and wants the buffer between the S.Korea/America alliance that's the only reason NK still exists.

    Obviously, I`m not saying NK is not a problem at all, but outside its war with S.Korea it has no realistic expansionist views. It dislikes everybody else and wishes the rest of the world bowed down to it, but it can do nothing other than sit there because China allows it, and tends to talk it off the ledge of absolute nuttery. The difference between Imperial Japan and/or Nazi Germany is that they were the power in the region and when they broke out of their countries little could be done to initially stop them as they were a real power (and they were almost not stopped). When it comes to NK I do think it could more equivalently looked at like Cuba, backed by USSR. Powerful due to there strategic nature, but all they have is rhetoric and threats. OK NK having nuclear capability is not great, but most of it is displays of power are for internal consumption and a posturing towards America.

  7. #202
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,723
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    Without China NK does not exist anymore, China needs and wants the buffer between the S.Korea/America alliance that's the only reason NK still exists.

    Obviously, I`m not saying NK is not a problem at all, but outside its war with S.Korea it has no realistic expansionist views. It dislikes everybody else and wishes the rest of the world bowed down to it, but it can do nothing other than sit there because China allows it, and tends to talk it off the ledge of absolute nuttery. The difference between Imperial Japan and/or Nazi Germany is that they were the power in the region and when they broke out of their countries little could be done to initially stop them as they were a real power (and they were almost not stopped). When it comes to NK I do think it could more equivalently looked at like Cuba, backed by USSR. Powerful due to there strategic nature, but all they have is rhetoric and threats. OK NK having nuclear capability is not great, but most of it is displays of power are for internal consumption and a posturing towards America.
    In like power terms, sure, but the way they view the world and themselves is intensely racialised and nationalistic.

  8. #203
    International Coach SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    10,217
    Robert Mugabe still milking Zimbabwe dry

    Harare - "Naturally it was bound to be expensive."

    That's the explanation President Robert Mugabe's transport minister has given for the chartering of a plane from Bahrain to take the 93-year-old to Singapore, according to a report from the Zimbabwe Independent weekly.

    The paper says Mugabe's AirZim One plane was out of order so an alternative had to be found to transport the longtime Zimbabwe leader to see his doctors on what officials insist was just a routine medical check-up on March 1. The charter may have cost up to $1 million, the report says.

    That figure has not been independently confirmed. But it will undoubtedly stoke anger in a country mired in a worsening cash shortage.

    Transport Minister Joram Gumbo told the newspaper: "We were forced to hire from Bahrain because the one which is normally used by the president is still being serviced. As we are speaking the parts have just arrived and it will be up and running, but the president had to travel."

    "Gumbo said the cost of hiring the Bahraini plane was not markedly different except that the aircraft came from a bit far, so naturally it was bound to be expensive," added the Zimbabwe Independent.

    President Robert Mugabe's son-in-law was in October made COO of debt-stricken national carrier Air Zimbabwe. Simba Chikore, who married Mugabe's only daughter Bona in 2014, is a pilot by profession.

    News of his appointment raised accusations of nepotism since he had no managerial experience at Air Zimbabwe.

    The Daily News claimed that the same plane from Bahrain was used to take Mugabe to Ghana to attend that country's 60th independence anniversary celebrations last week

    "We do it every time. I don't know why it's news," Gumbo told the paper, while acknowledging that the authorities also often hired a plane from South Africa for the president "whenever there is a need.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

    LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

  9. #204
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    11,159
    Unhappiness over Gordhan, Jonas sacking as parties react to reshuffle | News24
    PGxit will lead to multiple downgrades' | IOL
    South Africa's President Zuma sacks finance minister - BBC News

    So about the one thing we did not want to happen this year is SA politics has happened.... and the happy news is that SA is probably going to be put into junk status and we will have a 25:1 Dollar:Rand and you will be able to come to SA and watch the SA cricket teams cheaply until they all (black, coloured and white) choose to head overseas.

    Note: He also moved sports minister Fikile Mbalula (the man responsible for the current quota system) to head the police up..

    Added.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/feri..._ref=za-voices
    http://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/...s-South-Africa



    Last edited by StephenZA; 30-03-2017 at 11:14 PM.

  10. #205
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CSK
    Posts
    22,767
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Unhappiness over Gordhan, Jonas sacking as parties react to reshuffle | News24
    PGxit will lead to multiple downgrades' | IOL
    South Africa's President Zuma sacks finance minister - BBC News

    So about the one thing we did not want to happen this year is SA politics has happened.... and the happy news is that SA is probably going to be put into junk status and we will have a 25:1 Dollar:Rand and you will be able to come to SA and watch the SA cricket teams cheaply until they all (black, coloured and white) choose to head overseas.

    Note: He also moved sports minister Fikile Mbalula (the man responsible for the current quota system) to head the police up..

    Added.
    Ferial Haffajee: What On Earth Did JZ Just Do?
    Opinion: How Zuma's firing of Gordhan severely damages South Africa - Times LIVE



    Had no idea that the INR was of more value than the SA rand. Definite travel destination for the future.
    vcs and zorax like this.
    I am proud of this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

  11. #206
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,851
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Unhappiness over Gordhan, Jonas sacking as parties react to reshuffle | News24
    PGxit will lead to multiple downgrades' | IOL
    South Africa's President Zuma sacks finance minister - BBC News

    So about the one thing we did not want to happen this year is SA politics has happened.... and the happy news is that SA is probably going to be put into junk status and we will have a 25:1 Dollar:Rand and you will be able to come to SA and watch the SA cricket teams cheaply until they all (black, coloured and white) choose to head overseas.

    Note: He also moved sports minister Fikile Mbalula (the man responsible for the current quota system) to head the police up..

    Added.
    Ferial Haffajee: What On Earth Did JZ Just Do?
    Opinion: How Zuma's firing of Gordhan severely damages South Africa - Times LIVE


    Sounds all very sad and depressing. It's only been 23 years or so since the ANC came to power. So are they corrupt, imcompetent, or a mixture of both like the Mugabe regime.
    Last edited by watson; 31-03-2017 at 01:09 AM.

  12. #207
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    11,159
    I know many probably believe that the current scenario in SA is just ongoing political flux, but the current issues in SA are probably one of the most important tipping points for the SA democracy since the assassination of Chris Hani, Who at that time without Nelson Mandela to keep everybody calm could very likely have ended the talks and pushed SA into a civil war.

    https://theconversation.com/south-af...what-now-75549
    https://theconversation.com/zumas-cr...they-act-75587
    https://theconversation.com/stakes-f...he-knife-75550
    Gigaba?s first 24 hours: Insights into the future | Fin24

  13. #208
    rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Holland
    Posts
    26,468
    in "bringing back the Cold War" news, Lenin claims victory in the Ecuador presidential election

    Lenin Moreno wins bitterly contested Ecuador presidential election - World - CBC News
    NZTailender likes this.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

    I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

    -jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

  14. #209
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    11,159

  15. #210
    Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    31,230
    Malaysia MP: 'Ok for rape victims to marry their rapists' - BBC News

    what the ****.

    Najib and his band of ****wits are slowly killing the country.
    Magrat Garlick likes this.

Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The American Politics thread
    By LongHopCassidy in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 26391
    Last Post: Today, 02:26 PM
  2. The British Politics Thread
    By cover drive man in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 16905
    Last Post: Today, 06:04 AM
  3. The Indian Politics Thread
    By Pratters in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 03:33 AM
  4. The Indian politics thread
    By Pratters in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 19-05-2009, 03:09 AM
  5. US politics thread
    By silentstriker in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 03:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •