Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: World Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    That may have to do with the terror attack that took about 2 months ago in an area frequented by expats and foreigners were specifically targeted. AZH may know more about the situation in Bangaldesh and I would be curious to know too.
    So it is an 'ISIS' type thing then? I never felt that Bangladesh was particularly radicalised? I new it had political troubles but not to much in the way of religious 'fervour'. Is this a case of perception that Bangladesh is more dangerous? Cause I`m pretty sure that both English and Australia players would go to Paris if given an option.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Cricketer Of The Year AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    Can somebody give me a 101 on the unrest in Bangladesh.... I believe that there is effectively a military government trying to create a one party state, but this came out of another government trying to create a one party state? And lots of corruption. How much does religion pertain to this or is it just about different power factions? Please forgive my ignorance.

I have asked this here rather than the Eng/Bangladesh thread as I don't want to derail it... but I effectively want to know why the Eng and/or Aus team would be targeted or feel particularly threatened in Bangladesh as I thought this was more a political war more than anything else, not an attack on western ideals i.e. ISIS. Is Bangladesh as bad as Pakistan? (which I know a little bit more about)

I wonder all this because I never hear anything (maybe a few murmurs) about coming to SA. People love Cape Town, Newlands and yet it is ranked as the 9th most dangerous city in the world. Now that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt because alot of that has more to do with gang related activities in CT... but still, you avoid the bad places and don`t do anything stupid and you are pretty safe.
    My understanding is mainly based on reading local newspapers and hearing. There is a group operating in Bangladesh under the name "New JMB" which pledged allegiance to ISIS mainly through social networking. Its a reform of previously banned terrorist group "JMB" whose main leaders got killed many years back. The group has emerged now with more recruitments and esp well educated young guys from popular universities. Dont know how they managed to radicalize these young men but shockingly they somehow did. A part of this group carried out horrific attacks few months back killing more than 20 people including foreigners and policemen. Another part from the same group was plotting another attack but thanks to police and armed forces that they raided their cell and killed them. Two to three guys in that night ran away though according to local witness. Investigators identified a BD guy with canadian citizenship as the main co ordinator behind this group and found him and also killed him. This was the group which was mainly targetting foreigners/westerners with coordination from ISIS through certain social apps. Would not say that the situation is under control but all these raids settled things a bit for now. There might be more people hiding underground from this group and its a continuous process and will take time to eradicate them altogether (trying to be optimistic).

Aside from this, from political point of view, the opposition party BNP is in disagreement of attending elections under the ruling party. The current ruling party engaged the elections under themselves and obviously won and higher chance that same thing will happen in next election. So its like they became a dictator now and oppressing the opposition as much as they can. Thus the political unrest and on top of that the ruling party is hanging some top leaders from another party called Jamaat E Islam due to the war crimes back in 1971 who are in collaboration with the opposition party BNP. Think I wrote in another post that the backbone of Jamaat has been broken and the field level guys from the party are joining or forming other groups to destabilize the situation in the country possibly linked to all those attacks on bloggers and atheists.
    Last edited by AndyZaltzHair; 12-09-2016 at 11:17 AM.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.
    Supporting XI
    Soumya Sarkar, Liton Das, Pinak Ghosh, Mominul Haque, Mosaddek Hossain, Nazmul Shanto, Shabbir, Nurul Hasan, Afif, Saifuddin, Mehedi Miraz, Abu Hider, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Mustafizur Rahman

Banned
    Stomping on Vietnamese or Philipino disputed territory is one thing, but sailing into Japanese territory is another.

It seems that the new Imperialists are itching for a fight.

Popular appeal in looming confrontation between China and Japan

While most attention in Asia was on China's territorial claims in the South China Sea, Beijing has fired up another of its dangerous disputes.

On August 5, an unprecedented swarm of 230 Chinese fishing boats, under ****** by six Chinese coast guard vessels, sailed into territorial waters claimed by Japan.

It was "a unilateral act that raises tensions" Tokyo protested to the Chinese government.

China, unrepentant, said that it was merely operating in waters that were "an integral part" of China. It has since repeated the manoeuvre on a smaller scale.

The circumstances of the relationship were "deteriorating markedly" Japan's Foreign Affairs Minister Fumio Kishida concluded.

It was also the opening move in the reawakening of a dormant Chinese campaign to take control.....

Popular appeal in looming confrontation between China and Japan

Banned
    This is all part of the mix that represents a pretty disgusting ruling class in China whose most recent achievement has been to master propaganda on the world stage.

Wukan unrest: Chinese police offer rewards to find five suspects

......Trouble began when village leader Lin Zuluan was jailed for three years last Thursday for corruption.

He was voted in as Wukan's chief in 2012 in an attempt by the local government to end months of protests about illegal land grabs.

Anger over land seizures by officials had triggered an open revolt against local party leaders.

Lin Zuluan's election by popular vote was seen as a rare compromise by the Chinese government.

He remains hugely popular and his supporters say a televised confession was forced and the charges against him are political.

Wukan unrest: Chinese police offer rewards to find five suspects - BBC News

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Stomping on Vietnamese or Philipino disputed territory is one thing, but sailing into Japanese territory is another.

It seems that the new Imperialists are itching for a fight.
    Yes, noted anti-imperialists historically, Japan.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yes, noted anti-imperialists historically, Japan.
    Hence the word 'new'.

Banned
    Old Money V New Money.

It's the 1930s again but in reverse.

Pew poll: How the Japanese and Chinese see each other

TOKYO — Arrogant, violent and to varying degrees, nationalistic. That’s how the Japanese and Chinese publics see each other’s country, according to a new poll that reflects the geopolitical tensions between the neighboring East Asia powers.

The annual Pew Research Center survey, released Tuesday in Washington, D.C., found that while views of each other have improved slightly in recent years, they remain overwhelmingly negative and worse than a decade ago. A huge surge in Chinese tourists visiting Japan apparently hasn’t changed public opinion much........

Japanese are more worried than Chinese that China’s territorial disputes with Japan and other neighboring countries could lead to military conflict. The two nations’ coast guard ships regularly assert sovereignty near the Japan-controlled Senkaku islands, which China also claims and calls Diaoyu.

Japanese very concerned about a conflict: 35 percent

Japanese somewhat concerned: 45 percent

Chinese very concerned: 18 percent

Chinese somewhat concerned: 41 percent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...4bb_story.html
    All Australians should be keeping a close eye on this unfolding and intriguing drama because we have a huge vested interest.
    Last edited by watson; 13-09-2016 at 11:57 PM.

So people may not be aware of it, but there is 'student' protests going on in South Africa that has shut down most Universities across SA, with the potential and probable result that students will not be able to finish this academic year, having huge consequences on students, society and economy in general.

A bit of history, problems came to a head at end of last year when students at Rhodes university protested over fee increases and other concerns, which spread across the countries universities, resulting in about a week of shutdowns and negotiations. This ended with a result of Zuma ( the great thinking man he is) making a unilateral decision on a 0% fee increase on student fees for all universities. To contextualize this since 1994 the number of students at university have gone from 450k to 900k but in real terms the government have halved the budget to universities, creating huge shortfalls in university budgets. Combined with government mismanagement of financial aid for poorer students, this has since left the burden on students to pay a greater and increasing portion of university fees (upfront). Combined with weak and politicized university management, that is uncommunicative and arrogant, students where treated more like cash cows rather than a product for greater society leading to the current circumstances. However a 0% increase had huge financial implications on the university and further emboldened these protest this year when a maximum of 8% increase was announced.

This protest however has now moved beyond the problems in the higher education system and has been hugely politicised by a left-wing radical sections of society demanding free education for all (a circumstance that this country can not afford). An article explaining this better than I can is found here.... #FeesMustFall 'no longer about fees' | News24 . This is probably one of the most important points in SA history due to the consequences, depending on how this plays out. Along with the effective power that could be handed over to the radicalized left in SA.

From a personal point of view this is hugely worrying for me as I have until the end of next year to complete my PhD. I am currently having to 'sneak' onto my campus to continue my experimental works, but I do this at risk if things get violent, with threats being made to students and staff who are found working on campus.

I write this partly out of frustration and to share as many people in SA are not aware of the seriousness of what is happening and the potential future consequences.

International Captain indiaholic's Avatar
    Stay safe dude.. Is it possible to get a transfer to a foreign Uni and complete the rest of the thesis there?
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by indiaholic View Post
    Stay safe dude.. Is it possible to get a transfer to a foreign Uni and complete the rest of the thesis there?
    Few places in the world I could complete my work as it is largely experimental... very well equipped Physics department here, what we do do, we do exceptionally well. But really money is the huge barrier... I was accepted into a masters program in the UK awhile back but it was just not affordable to me as a foreign student.
    indiaholic likes this.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Wishing you all the best... hope things work out and you complete it soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Yuck. ****** situation.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Yeah that sounds terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    So people may not be aware of it, but there is 'student' protests going on in South Africa that has shut down most Universities across SA, with the potential and probable result that students will not be able to finish this academic year, having huge consequences on students, society and economy in general.

A bit of history, problems came to a head at end of last year when students at Rhodes university protested over fee increases and other concerns, which spread across the countries universities, resulting in about a week of shutdowns and negotiations. This ended with a result of Zuma ( the great thinking man he is) making a unilateral decision on a 0% fee increase on student fees for all universities. To contextualize this since 1994 the number of students at university have gone from 450k to 900k but in real terms the government have halved the budget to universities, creating huge shortfalls in university budgets. Combined with government mismanagement of financial aid for poorer students, this has since left the burden on students to pay a greater and increasing portion of university fees (upfront). Combined with weak and politicized university management, that is uncommunicative and arrogant, students where treated more like cash cows rather than a product for greater society leading to the current circumstances. However a 0% increase had huge financial implications on the university and further emboldened these protest this year when a maximum of 8% increase was announced.

This protest however has now moved beyond the problems in the higher education system and has been hugely politicised by a left-wing radical sections of society demanding free education for all (a circumstance that this country can not afford). An article explaining this better than I can is found here.... #FeesMustFall 'no longer about fees' | News24 . This is probably one of the most important points in SA history due to the consequences, depending on how this plays out. Along with the effective power that could be handed over to the radicalized left in SA.

From a personal point of view this is hugely worrying for me as I have until the end of next year to complete my PhD. I am currently having to 'sneak' onto my campus to continue my experimental works, but I do this at risk if things get violent, with threats being made to students and staff who are found working on campus.

I write this partly out of frustration and to share as many people in SA are not aware of the seriousness of what is happening and the potential future consequences.
    Stay safe and good luck.
    I am proud of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Students and youth are reasserting their new identities | News24
    LIVE: #FeesMustFall ? Stun grenades fired at CPUT, police intimidate at Wits | News24

I`m lucky not to be on any of these campuses. My campus is relatively quiet as the management just shut the campus down and have refused to call in police. PS: This is now the 4th week of protest and campus shut down.
    Last edited by StephenZA; 11-10-2016 at 05:03 AM.

Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread Information