cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 55 of 1697 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657651051555551055 ... LastLast
Like Tree9833Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Cricket Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yea that's my point - I don't want that in my President. Maybe he could have gotten it a little more concession his way for a vote, even if overall it wasn't what he would have wanted.
    Why would you vote for something you do not believe in? This is not a choice like if you had to choose between pizza or burgers for lunch and one time just concede to your friend's preference. And I understand what you're trying to say, you just illustrate that poorly and are yet to state an issue which really comes to explain why you'd totally dismiss Paul as a candidate. If it is merely because of a program he'd leave to the States to handle - not even that he'd ban/fund the program altogether - then as I said...your reasons for being a centralist are fairly shallow IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Would it kill the Republican Party to put up a candidate who isn't dangerous to society?

Number one reason I'm dubious about ever living in the states is knowing someone must be voting for these people.
    Is there really a difference between Obama and Romney? Let's stop kidding ourselves. Obama has the better/saner orator; but his actions are directly opposed to his words. The Republicans - apart from Paul - would do the same as Obama but are brave enough to look crooked/stupid by espousing so out loud.
    Last edited by Ikki; 24-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    ★★★★★

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Why would you vote for something you do not believe in?
    Because unless you want total gridlock in every single issue, when two people disagree, they come together and come up with a solution where neither side gets what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    you just illustrate that poorly and are yet to state an issue which really comes to explain why you'd totally dismiss Paul as a candidate.
    I offered to list the votes where he is the sole/very much in the minority on, and you said no. It's a pretty easy google search. Aside from merely disagreeing with his politics, I also disagree with his method of simply voting against (or vetoing) everything that he doesn't find perfect.

If it is merely because of a program he'd leave to the States to handle - not even that he'd ban/fund the program altogether - then as I said...your reasons for being a centralist are fairly shallow IMO.

Well I guess I'm shallow then. You are welcome to think anything you want about why I am shallow.

I stick by my assertion that states rights are ridiculous and shouldn't exist. I don't want to leave anything up to my stupid state, or other stupid states, some of whom would have kept up segregation probably well into the eighties if it wasn't for federal power.

Is there really a difference between Obama and Romney? Let's stop kidding ourselves. Obama has the wonderfully neutral/understanding; but his actions are directly opposed to them. The Republicans - apart from Paul - are merely Obama but brave enough to look crooked/stupid in public
    Not as much difference between the two as you'd think except on social policies and the fringes of economic policy. The main driving question will be if Obamacare would be repealed or not - if we can get past 2014, repealing it will be almost impossible since after that insurance companies won't be able to deny insurance coverage and then it's going to be politically hard to tell people they no longer have insurance. That is, of course, assuming that the Supreme Court finds the law constitutional, which is not guaranteed.

In either case, while I'm very strongly pro Obama (more strongly actually pro democrats in House/Senate, and the two are related - e.g chances are if one does well so does the other), I wouldn't be terribly dissapointed in a Romney presidency. I'd be pretty dissapointed if Democrats lost the senate as well though - because then they'd be able to pass a LOT of things I disagree with.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

SS, it surprises me that you are stating you won't be disappointed in a Romney Presidency. I think the biggest impact a President has while in office is with his ability to nominate Supreme Court Justices. The next President will likely appoint 2 to 3 Justices. As most of the retiring Justices are probably going to be from the liberal bloc, it is imperative that we have a Democrat making those appointments. Otherwise more rulings like Citizen United will follow. You can probably expect abortion to be outlawed, or severely restricted if Romney appoints the next few Justices. The firm separation between religion and State will be heavily blurred (especially in public schools). Minority rights will take a severe beating as well.

It doesn't matter that Romney is not the hard right conservative that Santorum is. He will still appoint solid conservatives to the court, just like Bush did before him (and we know that Bush wasn't considered conservative enough by the base either).

I agree with all that. I just meant in terms of policies he implements. I'm a big Obama donor, I definitely know the downsides but I am comparing it to a Santorum or a Paul. Romney is selfish enough that he'll support whatever he thinks will get him elected or reelected.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    MITT ROMNEY HOLDS CAMPAIGN SPEECH AT 65,000 STADIUM

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Romney then listed the various cars he and his wife own.

“I drive a Mustang and Chevy pickup truck,” he said. “Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually. I used to have a Dodge truck, so I used to have all three [Detroit manufacturers] covered.”

i don't understand how one man with so much experience in campaigning can be so bad at it

After an audience member asked Romney if he thought he’d have the best chance to beat Obama, Romney dismissed the other GOP candidates.

“I not only think I have the best chance, I think I have the only chance — maybe I’m overstating it a bit,” he said, chuckling awkwardly.

“That’s my family leading the applause,” he said quickly, although no one was clapping, then laughed again. No one appeared to laugh with him.
    oh my god

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar

That's hilarious.

Haha I can't believe I felt sorry for him for a second after reading that.

he wasn't all at fault tbf. the 'detroit economic club' were hosting it some other place, but they sold more tickets than they had seats. so they moved it from a 1000 odd venue to uh a 75,000 venue. it's unclear why they didn't host it at some school.

and then only like 500 people turned up

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Why is Ron Paul hated so much by the Republican party? Is it because of his views on foreign policy?
    Last edited by PhoenixFire; 26-02-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Why is Ron Paul hated so much by the Republican party? Is it because of his views on foreign policy?
    Foreign policy and civil liberties (meaning he has the gall to suggest that ALL Americans, even those pesky Muslims, enjoy protection under the constitution). Otherwise his economic views alone would probably make him a lock for the nomination.

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    After hearing about all these republican candidates, I guess Obama probably would be the best guy to win the elections. But Mitt Romney does seem saner than the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    hated by the republican party? sure, that's what the media what you to think....

Daily Mitt Romney Is Bad At This Update:

Mitt Romney went to the Daytona 500 NASCAR race Sunday for what should have been a chance to show he's one of the guys. Instead, in casual conversation with an Associated Press reporter at the Florida track, he reminded people once again that he is not exactly a regular Joe.

Asked by the AP reporter if he follows NASCAR, Romney responded, "Not as closely as some of the most ardent fans. But I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners."

Thread Information