Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1695 of 1744 FirstFirst ... 6951195159516451685169316941695169616971705 ... LastLast
Results 25,411 to 25,425 of 26158
Like Tree10055Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

  1. #25411
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I agree with you but think you’ll get the same result with Warren except with even more rage from Trump’s base.
    Hum, possibly. I think Warren would be less popular after four years than Biden would be, but you gotta remember that the U.S. is only like 60% of a democracy. Warren understands how power works in a way that Biden doesn't, so she'd have much more chance of tackling the other 40%: the gerrymandering, voter suppression, and court-packing.

  2. #25412
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NDTV Propaganda Office
    Posts
    8,262
    @PEWS:

    Depends on how serious she is about actually taking on race-related policies like reparations, GND etc. which can be used by the Republicans to stoke rage regardless of whether the base actually would prefer Warren on domestic policies otherwise. You can scare people shitless about a future of paying for their existence just for being white with out of context numbers like with Brexit. This is even more true in the context of the attacks that will dog her election campaign and set the initial image of her for Trump’s base if she becomes the nominee.

    Don’t see Biden doing anything on those issues. I don’t see him having any major policy pushes at all and being a mediocre bereaucrat President.

    Think either winning lead to a high chance of a republican presidency in 2024 with a great deal of animosity.
    Last edited by Teja.; 14-08-2019 at 05:11 AM.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  3. #25413
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NDTV Propaganda Office
    Posts
    8,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Hum, possibly. I think Warren would be less popular after four years than Biden would be, but you gotta remember that the U.S. is only like 60% of a democracy. Warren understands how power works in a way that Biden doesn't, so she'd have much more chance of tackling the other 40%: the gerrymandering, voter suppression, and court-packing.
    Yeah, I agree she does. I think the % edge that a single candidate can change within that 40% of democracy in four years is not tremendous though.
    Last edited by Teja.; 14-08-2019 at 05:08 AM.

  4. #25414
    Hall of Fame Member weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    15,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Don’t see Biden doing anything on those issues. I don’t see him having any major policy pushes at all and being a mediocre bereaucrat President.
    Uh, you guys are wasting too many words. Just say 'vanilla'.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James


  5. #25415
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NDTV Propaganda Office
    Posts
    8,262
    Biden isn’t vanilla, he’s the preservative ingredient in whatever ice cream is at the stall.
    Prince EWS, Uppercut, vcs and 1 others like this.

  6. #25416
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    51
    I’m so ready for mediocre bureaucrat President.

  7. #25417
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Yeah, I agree she does. I think the % edge that a single candidate can change within that 40% of democracy in four years is not tremendous though.
    As fatalistic as I usually am on US politics, I'm not sure I agree. There are simple solutions- automatic voter registration, making federal elections a public holiday- that are super, super popular with the public and unite the Democratic party more than any other issue.

    They'd require winning the senate and abolishing the filibuster, which Bernie and Biden both say they won't do. So there are massive "ifs". But it's far more feasible than Obamacare was, for example.
    Teja. likes this.

  8. #25418
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NDTV Propaganda Office
    Posts
    8,262
    Quote Originally Posted by DravidFan View Post
    I’m so ready for mediocre bureaucrat President.
    I for one don’t think the best possible solution to deal with a highly polarised polity is to elect a leader who looks at becoming president as a opportunistic adventure to give himself a life time achievement award while the rage intensifies on both sides for four years.
    Last edited by Teja.; 14-08-2019 at 05:54 AM.

  9. #25419
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NDTV Propaganda Office
    Posts
    8,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    As fatalistic as I usually am on US politics, I'm not sure I agree. There are simple solutions- automatic voter registration, making federal elections a public holiday- that are super, super popular with the public and unite the Democratic party more than any other issue.

    They'd require winning the senate and abolishing the filibuster, which Bernie and Biden both say they won't do. So there are massive "ifs". But it's far more feasible than Obamacare was, for example.
    Yeah, I misinterpreted the scale of the solutions you were proposing for those problems. That’s fair.

  10. #25420
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,234
    It’s always amusing when people deride politicians for selling out over whatever given issue exercises us. I say “us” because I do it too, we all do. They’re politicians ffs. They’ll sell their souls for a vote. Why that continues to surprise us, I don’t know.

    Should also say I still laugh at what passes for “the left” in the US (or most western countries tbh). It’s really centrism for the most part, described as leftism/ socialism by the Right because those who support it won’t eat their own babies to make a buck.
    vcs likes this.

  11. #25421
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It’s always amusing when people deride politicians for selling out over whatever given issue exercises us. I say “us” because I do it too, we all do. They’re politicians ffs. They’ll sell their souls for a vote. Why that continues to surprise us, I don’t know.
    Yeah I agree. I think there is a subtle difference though. Some politicians sell out their actual principles, and some politicians adopt """principles""" just so they can sell them out later. Anyone not willing to sell anything out won't get far, but some do take it a step further.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

  12. #25422
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    30,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah I agree. I think there is a subtle difference though. Some politicians sell out their actual principles, and some politicians adopt """principles""" just so they can sell them out later. Anyone not willing to sell anything out won't get far, but some do take it a step further.
    I read something years ago about promises, possibly with respect to Nick Clegg. Basically stated that everyone understands that no promise is unconditional, and people will often accept them being broken under unforeseen circumstances, but they won't ever accept the revelation that a promise was made in bad faith.
    Prince EWS likes this.

  13. #25423
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I read something years ago about promises, possibly with respect to Nick Clegg. Basically stated that everyone understands that no promise is unconditional, and people will often accept them being broken under unforeseen circumstances, but they won't ever accept the revelation that a promise was made in bad faith.
    Haha ironically I think Clegg's promises that are largely held against him right now are the ones he would've honoured if he actually won. Clegg being no real chance of actually winning does make his positions a little more difficult to navigate though.

  14. #25424
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I read something years ago about promises, possibly with respect to Nick Clegg. Basically stated that everyone understands that no promise is unconditional, and people will often accept them being broken under unforeseen circumstances, but they won't ever accept the revelation that a promise was made in bad faith.
    This is entirely correct, I think.

  15. #25425
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    11,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Should also say I still laugh at what passes for “the left” in the US (or most western countries tbh). It’s really centrism for the most part, described as leftism/ socialism by the Right because those who support it won’t eat their own babies to make a buck.
    This so much this.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

    "I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The British Politics Thread
    By cover drive man in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 16405
    Last Post: Today, 05:58 AM
  2. Media
    By SirBloody Idiot in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 06:10 AM
  3. FAQ & Introduction Thread
    By Magrat Garlick in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-06-2011, 11:06 AM
  4. Finally ! A Last Word Thread
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •