Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1677 of 1744 FirstFirst ... 67711771577162716671675167616771678167916871727 ... LastLast
Results 25,141 to 25,155 of 26156
Like Tree10052Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Well it is telling that they take inspiration from each other at least

Echo chambers are a big issue too
    Zinzan likes this.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    yep, makes perfect sense...it is not related to bigotry/fundamentalism at all, mainstream media is the culprit...
    These things have been going on a lot longer before white nationalism came back to the fore. The flavour of the matter doesn't change the fundemantal fact that these people are mentally ill suicidal people who feel left behind and excluded from society going on a suicide mission that will ensure they live on in infamy and have their face known to the world.

yep, makes perfect sense...it is not related to bigotry/fundamentalism at all, mainstream media is the culprit...
    Media attention and the media frenzy is one of the most obviously well-established factors behind the contagion.
    GIMH and Zinzan like this.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Groundking View Post
    These things have been going on a lot longer before white nationalism came back to the fore. The flavour of the matter doesn't change the fundemantal fact that these people are mentally ill suicidal people who feel left behind and excluded from society going on a suicide mission that will ensure they live on in infamy and have their face known to the world.
    regardless of whether they are mentally ill, disaffected whatever...they are racists and xenophobes first and foremost and that is their primary motivation for acting this way...

If your doing it for personal reasons, it gives you the infamy you’re seeking.

If you’re doing it for ideological reasons, it spreads your message and makes you a noted martyr for the cause.

Either way, it gives these people solidarity and hope that if that man can, even I can.

If you want to go on a suicide terrorist mission, the coverage is always seen as a positive. It’s not a root cause imo but it highly incentivises nutbags who otherwise might have restricted themselves to their basement to actually do it. Especially in this day and age where media is so decentralised.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Media attention and the media frenzy is one of the most obviously well-established factors behind the contagion.
    sure they certainly play their part in sensationalizing and spreading this but groundking's post seemed to transfer the blame from the ideology itself and all those unfortunate "mentally ill suicidal people who feel excluded from society" to the media and the internet, that is all i was reacting to...
    trundler likes this.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Media attention and notoriety may be a motivating factor for sick people to do sick things, but there's really not much we can do about that. It would be even more worrying if we started getting desensitized to horrible acts like this.

There is, however, one common factor to all these mass murders - the scale and frequency at which they occur in America is not comparable to other nations, and the collective stubbornness to do nothing about the one thing that would certainly reduce said scale greatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Media attention and notoriety may be a motivating factor for sick people to do sick things, but there's really not much we can do about that. It would be even more worrying if we started getting desensitized to horrible acts like this.

There is, however, one common factor to all these mass murders - the scale and frequency at which they occur in America is not comparable to other nations, and the collective stubbornness to do nothing about the one thing that would certainly reduce said scale greatly.
    Do people actually think given where we are at, that gun laws in America would actually change things?

I’ve always been fascinated by the idea that banning stuff stops stuff.

We’ve had three mass shootings in the U.K., two before laws were tightened and one since.

I’m not saying nothing would change but the gun thing in America is not just because of 2A. It’s cultural. Now that culture may in itself be driven by the 2A but we are 250 years down the line now.

My two cents. I’m aware of the data of America V everyone else etc. My point really is just in response to you saying we can’t do anything about media attention etc, but seem to think legislating would do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Well it is telling that they take inspiration from each other at least

Echo chambers are a big issue too
    I think people focus a little to much on echo chambers,,,the bigger concern is people for balance follow the dumbest divisive ****ers on both side who thrive on drama.

So regarding America,,,that Daily Wire grinning idiot and for balance pretty anyone linked with Media matters.

International 12th Man
    sure they certainly play their part in sensationalizing and spreading this but groundking's post seemed to transfer the blame from the ideology itself and all those unfortunate "mentally ill suicidal people who feel excluded from society" to the media and the internet, that is all i was reacting to...
    The ideology is an excuse imo. If these people were serious about their ideology why do they not have a getaway car so they can go on another rampage later and stay on the offensive and in their perceived war?

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Do people actually think given where we are at, that gun laws in America would actually change things?

I’ve always been fascinated by the idea that banning stuff stops stuff.

We’ve had three mass shootings in the U.K., two before laws were tightened and one since.

I’m not saying nothing would change but the gun thing in America is not just because of 2A. It’s cultural. Now that culture may in itself be driven by the 2A but we are 250 years down the line now.

My two cents. I’m aware of the data of America V everyone else etc. My point really is just in response to you saying we can’t do anything about media attention etc, but seem to think legislating would do something about it.
    there are no easy solutions for the u.s situation with 100s of millions of legal guns already in play and maybe a comparative number in illegal guns as well...in my opinion, only very restrictive laws would have any chance of making a positive impact and given even nominal laws receive pushback and no politician has the balls to really go after substantial gun control laws, the status quo will continue for the foreseeable future...

The ideology is an excuse imo. If these people were serious about their ideology why do they not have a getaway car so they can go on another rampage later and stay on the offensive and in their perceived war?
    what

like seriously imagine if, oh, say an isis-inspired whacko mowed down 50 people. then apply that exact same logic and see if it sounds anything other than absurd.
    trundler likes this.

well they are also serious about dying for their beliefs..same mindset as a radical islamic terrorist...

International Vice-Captain
    Lmao

Thread Information