cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1637 of 1658 FirstFirst ... 6371137153715871627163516361637163816391647 ... LastLast
Results 24,541 to 24,555 of 24863
Like Tree9648Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

  1. #24541
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    52,766
    The implication that the guy was speaking the truth when he said all Christians feel the same as he does.
    Wait what? I called him a liar.

    I'm Catholic, remember?

  2. #24542
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    8,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Wait what? I called him a liar.

    I'm Catholic, remember?
    I'm talking about Anil's post. "The only thing he said that was true is that he's not an anomaly. "

    Tbf that's different to "all Christians" as I'd initially read the paragraph in the article. Still the idea that the "put the gays to death" wing of Christianity is anything but an extremely small group of people is ludicrous.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

    RIP Craig

  3. #24543
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    52,766
    "Extremely small" is overstating it IMO, at least in the South. You wouldn't be that hard pressed to find a church that promulgated similar stuff, although it's a minority these days.
    OverratedSanity likes this.
    fade, made to fade
    passion's overrated anyway

    forever 63*

  4. #24544
    International Coach Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    13,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I'm talking about Anil's post. "The only thing he said that was true is that he's not an anomaly. "

    Tbf that's different to "all Christians" as I'd initially read the paragraph in the article. Still the idea that the "put the gays to death" wing of Christianity is anything but an extremely small group of people is ludicrous.
    it may be a minority but if you don't think large numbers of people (not just christians but religious nuts of all denominations) don't feel that way, you are deluding yourself...and "an extremely small group of people" is just not true not matter what you want to believe...


  5. #24545
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I believe my comments were limited to the nation of Saudi Arabia, a place where homosexuality is punishable by death. The context being that the conservative wing of such a nation would, by definition, support such extreme behaviour.

    From what I recall, you were specifically talking about the people of the nation of Saudi Arabia. You know, a place where you can't actually vote for law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

    - Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

  6. #24546
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    8,654
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    From what I recall, you were specifically talking about the people of the nation of Saudi Arabia. You know, a place where you can't actually vote for law.
    "The people" is a pretty significant mischaracterisation of my position, but I have nothing to add on the matter than what I posted above. You want to argue that Saudi conservatives aren't supportive of the laws of their nation then you go ahead.

  7. #24547
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    "The people" is a pretty significant mischaracterisation of my position, but I have nothing to add on the matter than what I posted above. You want to argue that Saudi conservatives aren't supportive of the laws of their nation then you go ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    the only thing that he said is true is that he is not an anomaly...and that there are a lot of people who hold the same position...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    But of course, such eminently reasonable commentary on this very site implying all Christians believe gays should be killed just fly on by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I'm talking about Anil's post. "The only thing he said that was true is that he's not an anomaly. "

    Tbf that's different to "all Christians" as I'd initially read the paragraph in the article. Still the idea that the "put the gays to death" wing of Christianity is anything but an extremely small group of people is ludicrous.
    See there's this one straw man here (anil specifically said "that there are a lot of people who hold the same position", never anything indicating its proportion of overall Christians) and then the double standard applied elsewhere.

    It's like you're triggered by any smear of Western ideologues but pretty much do the same thing routinely to non-Western positions. I find it dishonest.

  8. #24548
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    8,654
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    See there's this one straw man here (anil specifically said "that there are a lot of people who hold the same position", never anything indicating its proportion of overall Christians) and then the double standard applied elsewhere.

    It's like you're triggered by any smear of Western ideologues but pretty much do the same thing routinely to non-Western positions. I find it dishonest.
    Hilarious.

    In these last few posts you've:

    Significantly mischaracterised a line of posting from a month ago
    Ignored the context in which the initial comment was posted, specifically, the idea that those who preach the religion being in lock step with him is the "true" part of his comments
    Actually highlighted the sentence after I wound back my original comment on "all Christians" to comment on an admittedly erroneous reading of the initial article

    Get out of the glass house.

    If you think that the idea of a nation that murders gays likely having a more significant portion of people that approve of murdering gays is so absurd the only possible explanation for holding it is dishonesty then that's on you. If you think that people who have given gays more freedoms than anywhere else in history are unlikely to have more than a minuscule portion of people who want to murder them (not consider it sinful, or immoral, or offensive, actual straight up murder) is such an absurd proposition then the only possible explanation is dishonesty then that's on you.

    Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're wrong. But dishonest?

    **** off.
    Zinzan likes this.

  9. #24549
    International Coach hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    14,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    if you think that people who have given gays more freedoms than anywhere else in history are unlikely to have more than a minuscule portion of people who want to murder them
    Sorry wait, can I just get this straight...you think Christians have given gays more freedoms than anywhere else in history? Could you please explain what you're talking about here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Hilarious.

    In these last few posts you've:

    Significantly mischaracterised a line of posting from a month ago
    Ignored the context in which the initial comment was posted, specifically, the idea that those who preach the religion being in lock step with him is the "true" part of his comments
    Actually highlighted the sentence after I wound back my original comment on "all Christians" to comment on an admittedly erroneous reading of the initial article
    Your revision is still a strawman. "Still the idea that the "put the gays to death" wing of Christianity is anything but an extremely small group of people is ludicrous." So? Who is arguing that?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Get out of the glass house.

    If you think that the idea of a nation that murders gays likely having a more significant portion of people that approve of murdering gays is so absurd the only possible explanation for holding it is dishonesty then that's on you. If you think that people who have given gays more freedoms than anywhere else in history are unlikely to have more than a minuscule portion of people who want to murder them (not consider it sinful, or immoral, or offensive, actual straight up murder) is such an absurd proposition then the only possible explanation is dishonesty then that's on you.
    I just can't get past this whole "given gays so much freedoms" thing like what are you actually talking about here?

    I'm not comparing Saudi Arabian conservatives to anyone - I'm comparing your comments and sentiment. The point, Ausage, is that when Anil says a perfectly reasonable thing i.e. there are many Christians that have some abhorrent ideas - and then you get triggered and get in a tiff and make sure to say "but but it's only some Christians" but you clearly won't extend that same level of snowflakeness to any other culture or religion...it looks inconsistent and bad and dishonest to me.

  10. #24550
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    46,211
    Popped in for a quick read.

    Good to see the thread is maintaining its usual level of quality.

    Leave.
    StephenZA and Ausage like this.

  11. #24551
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    8,654
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Popped in for a quick read.

    Good to see the thread is maintaining its usual level of quality.

    Leave.
    Haha, yeah. This has all gotten quite silly.

    Enjoy the last word Hendrix. You've earned it champ.

  12. #24552
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    29,384
    Enjoying AOC’s latest trick of making Republicans deny running concentration camps.

  13. #24553
    Global Moderator harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    17,546
    Bernie Sanders equating revenues to profits now, I see. He must have a really low opinion of his fans' reasoning abilities.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  14. #24554
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    59,623
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Bernie Sanders equating revenues to profits now, I see. He must have a really low opinion of his fans' reasoning abilities.
    If the shoe fits...

    Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can


    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  15. #24555
    Hall of Fame Member GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    15,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Haha, yeah. This has all gotten quite silly.

    Enjoy the last word Hendrix. You've earned it champ.
    Ohhhhhh



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The British Politics Thread
    By cover drive man in forum News and Politics
    Replies: 15106
    Last Post: Today, 05:54 PM
  2. Media
    By SirBloody Idiot in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 06:10 AM
  3. FAQ & Introduction Thread
    By Magrat Garlick in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-06-2011, 11:06 AM
  4. Finally ! A Last Word Thread
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •