Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1626 of 1768 FirstFirst ... 626112615261576161616241625162616271628163616761726 ... LastLast
Results 24,376 to 24,390 of 26509
Like Tree10148Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...n-omar/586993/

CAIR is not, in fact, a terrorist organization. Anyone with third-grade reading comprehension can review Omar’s clumsy words and see that they do not, in fact, assert that 9/11 wasn’t a terrorist attack, nor that its perpetrators were not terrorists. Arriving at the opposite conclusion requires interpreting Omar’s words in a manner that is both implausible and willfully optimized for offense-taking.

Nevertheless, Representative Dan Crenshaw retweeted the imam’s remarks, seizing a chance for a woke callout and the expression of disdainful outrage. “First Member of Congress to ever describe terrorists who killed thousands of Americans on 9/11 as ‘some people who did something,’” he wrote. “Unbelievable.”

What’s “unbelievable” about imperfect extemporaneous speech?

Civic conversation in America is dysfunctional in part because we have so many such outrage exhibitionists. These folks strip inartfully phrased remarks of context, ignoring the speaker’s intentions and imputing the least charitable possible meaning. This sets them up to display umbrage with the ostentation of a peacock.

Though widely reviled, such displays are nevertheless widespread, on the left and right, as even many strident critics are only bothered when their own tribe is targeted. Folks on the right who regard such displays as wrongheaded and damaging when indulged by the left need to exert more effort in cleaning up their own house.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

At least Trump is keeping his non-hawkish behaviour in check by vetoing the bill to remove support from the Saudis in Yemen.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    At least Trump is keeping his non-hawkish behaviour in check by vetoing the bill to remove support from the Saudis in Yemen.
    Sad.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

this happened in my neck of the woods yesterday and today, my kids' school was closed today along with a lot of other schools in denver, scary situation altogether for parents and school staff sorry missed mentioning the latest update, the woman apparently committed suicide at the foot of mt. evans ending the manhunt...
    Last edited by Anil; 17-04-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    this happened in my neck of the woods yesterday and today, my kids' school was closed today along with a lot of other schools in denver, scary situation altogether for parents and school staff sorry missed mentioning the latest update, the woman apparently committed suicide at the foot of mt. evans ending the manhunt...
    First and foremost, good to see that you and yours are ok and that there was no mass violence.

It's a weird story though. I haven't read anything that gave even a inkling of what tipped the authorities off. Why was she considered such a huge threat? How did they know she was a "devotee" of the Columbine massacre?

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    First and foremost, good to see that you and yours are ok and that there was no mass violence.

It's a weird story though. I haven't read anything that gave even a inkling of what tipped the authorities off. Why was she considered such a huge threat? How did they know she was a "devotee" of the Columbine massacre?
    there hasn't been much background/context in the stories i read either...apparently there is a group of young people who are "infatuated" with the columbine massacre and the perps, you have to be pretty messed up to be in that frame of mind in the first place...i am assuming they may have been posting on the topic on social media or something similar and consequently were on some fbi watchlist and when this girl traveled to denver so close to the anniversary of the tragedy and then bought a gun as well, it triggered this massive search for her...it also has to do with law enforcement exercising an abundance of caution around school shootings because there have been so many in recent years...a preventive manhunt is always better than an after-the-fact one...as a parent i cannot think any other way...the fact that she took her own life instead of surrendering and trying to explain her actions certainly seems to indicate she did have some gory plan in mind...

International Regular GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Once upon a time back at school I was once talking to a girl who genuinely found herself attracted to Ivan Milat, had a substantial collection of literature on the subject. It's warped, but it is out there
    Last edited by GoodAreasShane; 17-04-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    2019 CWPL Care Cup champion

Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    JP Kotze is a hero.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    The sheer weirdness of a teenage girl openly idolising a school massacre, asking about buying one of the firearms used in it then taking steps to head to where it happened 2000 miles away is enough to do whatever’s necessary to locate her, really.
    GoodAreasShane and Niall like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    Nah if you stop thinking in sides there’s gotta be a load of interesting stuff in there.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It’s also just... much worse for Trump than I expected? I wasn’t really following the story a couple of weeks ago but when this thread seemed to arrive at a consensus that the report was a nothingburger I sort of believed it.
    Magrat Garlick likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Pages 77-78 of volume 1 is an interesting read.

TNT
    Well it looks like the Democrats are going to dig up the poor horse from its grave and beat it feverishly again.
    If you nick it walk

Cricketer Of The Year SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Unlike a certain Benghazi...

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It’s also just... much worse for Trump than I expected? I wasn’t really following the story a couple of weeks ago but when this thread seemed to arrive at a consensus that the report was a nothingburger I sort of believed it.
    yeah i thought it stated very clearly that he tried to obstruct justice and end the investigation, and in any case he did a lot of that in plain view we didn't need the report to tell us that...but since even his lackeys refused to follow those specific orders, he failed in his purpose and because of that he can't be prosecuted for it...? whatever...i didn't expect an impeachment or an indictment anyway...i just wanted him to be soundly defeated in the next election, unfortunately i don't think that's going to happen either...

Thread Information