cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1624 of 1627 FirstFirst ... 624112415241574161416221623162416251626 ... LastLast
Results 24,346 to 24,360 of 24392
Like Tree9517Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I must say, while I generally think the criticism of her has been more revealing than anything she said, "some people did something" could have been phrased better.
    A hell of a lot of discrimination consists of disproportionate consequences for small mistakes.

It was all Twitter based. This is a decent rundown.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/01/u...ar-israel.html

She basically asked why it was ok to question lobby groups like the NRA and pharmaceutical lobbies but not AIPAC, suggesting some in the US political system have dual loyalties. She later answered her question by saying "It's all about the Benjamins".
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Omar's comments about dual loyalty were pretty bad, but the manufactured controversy over the last week has been extra bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    I won't claim to be an expert on this affair, but she sounds utterly gormless.
    Still trying to figure out what she did wrong tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Cricket Champion!
    She was blatantly trying to downplay what happened on 9/11 in order to defend CAIR. Not only is she a despicable person but she is only slightly less moronic than AOC, as CAIR was founded in 1994, not after 9/11 as she was claiming.

AOC, Omar, Tlaib...these people are literally puppets of Justice Democrats and are being told what to say. What they lack in knowledge and intelligence they make up by saying ridiculous things with brazen confidence. They are nobodies being pushed by "independent" media outlets like TYT and they are purposely divisive.
    Last edited by Ikki; 15-04-2019 at 05:34 AM.
    ★★★★★

International Vice-Captain andmark's Avatar
    About CAIR, instead of saying she misspoke, she should just admit she really thought it was founded after 9/11. I'm not sure many people believe that she knew it was around pre-9/11 which makes her look both ignorant and a liar.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

It was all Twitter based. This is a decent rundown.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/01/u...ar-israel.html

She basically asked why it was ok to question lobby groups like the NRA and pharmaceutical lobbies but not AIPAC, suggesting some in the US political system have dual loyalties. She later answered her question by saying "It's all about the Benjamins".
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Still trying to figure out what she did wrong tbh
    "All about the Benjamins" veers too much towards anti-Semitic tropes wrt shadowy Jewish financiers behind the scenes for comfort IMO. It's territory that you should best steer well clear of.

But the "controversies" drummed up by conservative media over the past fortnight about her have been complete bad-faith bullshit. Like, holy ****.
    Last edited by Spark; 15-04-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    fade, made to fade
    passion's overrated anyway

forever 63*

"All about the Benjamins" veers too much towards anti-Semitic tropes wrt shadowy Jewish financiers behind the scenes for comfort IMO. It's territory that you should best steer well clear of.

But the "controversies" drummed up by conservative media over the past fortnight about her have been complete bad-faith bullshit. Like, holy ****.
    My reading is that the allegation is that someone shouted "all about the Benjamins", and the expression she made with her face in response was unacceptable. That's a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    My reading is that the allegation is that someone shouted "all about the Benjamins", and the expression she made with her face in response was unacceptable. That's a stretch.
    Wait, "all about the Benjamins" is an entirely different controversy from a few months back, where she literally tweeted exactly that. It was pretty cringe.

This latest one, man, you have to be really committed to a deliberately bad faith and dishonest taking of words in a way that no sensible human listening to the speech that is genuinely interested in the words would actually think is reasonable to get to "she hates 9/11 victims and America!" which is what conservatives have basically gone with over the last week (I even saw one saying that "this is why we should stop immigration", so also including a sterling defence of political free speech along the way). So I guess it's unsurprising that Ikki seems to have gone with that.

The one before about Stephen Miller was even more bullshit. People have been calling him a white nationalist for years with frankly little pushback, mostly because he genuinely appears to be one, yet when she does it people lose their minds. Yeah, righto.

If anything this doesn't actually remind me of much else in the Trump era so much as it reminds me of the Bush era, and specifically the few years post-9/11 and especially leading into Iraq where anyone who dared question the idea that maybe invading multiple countries and bombing the **** out of many more perhaps was a bad idea was denounced by conservatives at the time - many of whom now pretend to be "anti-war" - as traitors.
    Last edited by Spark; 15-04-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Wait, "all about the Benjamins" is an entirely different controversy from a few months back, where she literally tweeted exactly that. It was pretty cringe.
    Ah yeah, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Ah yeah, makes sense.
    I think it was a reply to Greenwald so she probably felt on safe ground, but yeah a reminder she is nearly 40.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...sxL-F9d11V5IVA

The free market provides once more.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

comforting to know he can afford his medications...

2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...sxL-F9d11V5IVA

The free market provides once more.
    At least when you post cute try hard drivel like this you’ve got the excuse of being young enough to be that dim. What’s Burgey’s excuse?
    Ausage and OverratedSanity like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    At least when you post cute try hard drivel like this you’ve got the excuse of being young enough to be that dim. What’s Burgey’s excuse?
    It gives you and the other nutbags the shits. What other excuse do I need?

If anything this doesn't actually remind me of much else in the Trump era so much as it reminds me of the Bush era, and specifically the few years post-9/11 and especially leading into Iraq where anyone who dared question the idea that maybe invading multiple countries and bombing the **** out of many more perhaps was a bad idea was denounced by conservatives at the time - many of whom now pretend to be "anti-war" - as traitors.
    Really? This is peak late 10s politics imo. Slightly (arguably) inappropriate comment gets blown up into manufactured controversy, with vast conspiratorial evils assigned to the character of person, all on the basis of shrilly delivered identity based arguments.

It's just the right is playing the SJW in this scenario.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Really? This is peak late 10s politics imo. Slightly (arguably) inappropriate comment gets blown up into manufactured controversy, with vast conspiratorial evils assigned to the character of person, all on the basis of shrilly delivered identity based arguments.

It's just the right is playing the SJW in this scenario.
    This happened all the time in 2002 and 2003. Remember "freedom fries"?

Thread Information