Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1619 of 2052 FirstFirst ... 619111915191569160916171618161916201621162916691719 ... LastLast
Results 24,271 to 24,285 of 30778
Like Tree11931Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

That’s not universally true, in a lot of male-dominated cultures, women actually don’t have much say in that decision...

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    That’s not universally true, in a lot of male-dominated cultures, women actually don’t have much say in that decision...
    Sure. I'd have no problem with anyone being held to account to the degree they're responsible for a decision.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    This seems inconsistent. If you did something to a child that would constitute child abuse when they're outside the womb, how is that any different if they're inside the womb - yet still their own human being?
    I guess it is to an extent.

Tbh, it's not really an issue I've done a ton of thinking on but my instinct is that there isn't a particularly clear line on when you would or would not enforce something like that. We could all agree that borderline overdosing while pregnant is irresponsible to the point it could be considered abuse. Having a cigarette? Having a pack of them? Getting blind drunk once? Having a glass of wine? How much exercise is enough? How much exercise is too much?

I think it's much more difficult to justify intervention when you get into actions that don't have the explicit intention of harming/killing the infant.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I guess it is to an extent.

Tbh, it's not really an issue I've done a ton of thinking on but my instinct is that there isn't a particularly clear line on when you would or would not enforce something like that. We could all agree that borderline overdosing while pregnant is irresponsible to the point it could be considered abuse. Having a cigarette? Having a pack of them? Getting blind drunk once? Having a glass of wine? How much exercise is enough? How much exercise is too much?

I think it's much more difficult to justify intervention when you get into actions that don't have the explicit intention of harming/killing the infant.
    But even in child abuse, you can have abuse via neglect for example. You don't INTEND to harm a child, but you can still commit abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    But even in child abuse, you can have abuse via neglect for example. You don't INTEND to harm a child, but you can still commit abuse.
    I don't think that takes away from the bold though. Even in the case of the deliberate, premeditated killing of the child I acknowledge that the woman's body being involved makes it a difficult issue morally. That consideration is magnified exponentially when you're talking about an already grey area like neglect. So while I take the point in theoretical terms, I don't see any way of drawing anything remotely resembling reasonable lines around it.

What if the infant dies because the mother does something risky - and illegal (overdosed on heroin...or didn't wear a seatbelt) - but she did not intend to harm the child?

We could all agree that borderline overdosing while pregnant is irresponsible to the point it could be considered abuse.
    I would not agree with that.

I used to feel the way Ausage did about abortion.

Some change in thinking has occurred since then:
    - a realisation that just because a line is arbitrary doesn't mean that it's not useful or "true" for our purposes
    - a realisation that "rights" of both the mother and the foetus are constructed in the first place, and that it is always a thing for one person's "rights" to outweigh another's at any given time in society anyway
    - an acceptance that things that happen to a woman's body affect her in a way quite different from the way they affect the rest of us
    - I am not going to argue that a foetus is not "alive". Of course it is alive. And it also responds to stimuli quite early on. Some might call that "feeling" (I probably don't but not quite sure).
    - Still, we make alive things dead all the time. Yes, alive humans are different from alive rats or cockroaches or fleas. But this is an alive human that is directly affecting the life of another human being.

I'm still not one of those people who thinks abortion is just something not even have a quandary about, or that the foetus/embryo is of zero concern whatsoever.
    GIMH and morgieb like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    What if the infant dies because the mother does something risky - and illegal (overdosed on heroin...or didn't wear a seatbelt) - but she did not intend to harm the child?
    I think, theoretically at least, the woman's negligence is responsible for the death of the child in such a scenario. That's a much cleaner line than "has the mother exercised enough" or "is she eating right" though?

Another example would be in cases where a pregnant woman has been assaulted with the express aim of harming/killing the child (but not killing the mother). To me that's straight up murder.

I think, theoretically at least, the woman's negligence is responsible for the death of the child in such a scenario. That's a much cleaner line than "has the mother exercised enough" or "is she eating right" though?

Another example would be in cases where a pregnant woman has been assaulted with the express aim of harming/killing the child (but not killing the mother). To me that's straight up murder.
    I think there's quite a massive, inherent difference between what a woman does with her own body vs what someone else does to her/the foetus.

I don't even think you can call that negligence. It's just not reality for you to separate the foetus and the mother like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I think there's quite a massive, inherent difference between what a woman does with her own body vs what someone else does to her/the foetus.
    I wasn't so much suggesting an equivalence. More illustrating that I'm comfortable with the idea that actions that affect the child in utero are equivalent to actions taken post birth.

That should be obvious at this point though

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I used to feel the way Ausage did about abortion.

Some change in thinking has occurred since then:
    - a realisation that just because a line is arbitrary doesn't mean that it's not useful or "true" for our purposes
    - a realisation that "rights" of both the mother and the foetus are constructed in the first place, and that it is always a thing for one person's "rights" to outweigh another's at any given time in society anyway
    - an acceptance that things that happen to a woman's body affect her in a way quite different from the way they affect the rest of us
    - I am not going to argue that a foetus is not "alive". Of course it is alive. And it also responds to stimuli quite early on. Some might call that "feeling" (I probably don't but not quite sure).
    - Still, we make alive things dead all the time. Yes, alive humans are different from alive rats or cockroaches or fleas. But this is an alive human that is directly affecting the life of another human being.

I'm still not one of those people who thinks abortion is just something not even have a quandary about, or that the foetus/embryo is of zero concern whatsoever.
    I used to think abortion was much more morally wrong than I do now. It only amounted to "people shouldn't get abortions" or "I wouldn't agree to an abortion", though, I never wanted abortion to be illegal. Rounding up women and throwing them in jail for it is pure dystopian ****.
    Anil and straw man like this.

They all said "Hallo," and felt awkward and unhappy suddenly, because it was a sort of good-bye they were saying, and they didn't want to think about it.

Interesting. This is hardly an uncommon view, but it is interesting that most legal systems around the world don't consider this murder (usually some other offence called "Unlawful killing of fetus" or something like that).

Out of interest (and apologies if you have already clarified this), but at which point for you would the fetus be considered human? At the point an egg becomes fertilised? At the point a fertilised embryo attaches to the uterus? Something else?

They all said "Hallo," and felt awkward and unhappy suddenly, because it was a sort of good-bye they were saying, and they didn't want to think about it.
    Just building on the above, it's interesting how in English law, if you stab a pregnant woman in the stomach (let's say), and the fetus is killed as a result, this would not be murder.

But, if you did this stabbing, and this caused the woman to give birth prematurely, and then the fetus/baby died, this would be murder.

Thread Information