Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1617 of 1713 FirstFirst ... 61711171517156716071615161616171618161916271667 ... LastLast
Results 24,241 to 24,255 of 25681
Like Tree9883Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    and if a law isn't practical then what is the point of it? in this case the hope of causing people to only have *** in ways ausage and other social conservatives find acceptable is classic micro managing of peoples personal lives based on how you think they should live. social conservatism 101.
    In what world is the an accurate depiction of my viewpoint? In what way have I given the impression I'm revelling in the implications of a fetus being human?

Stop being deliberately obtuse about this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Abortion is more like the causing of death via the withdrawal of treatment rather than a positive act of killing imo.

Basically akin to unhooking a person (i.e. the fetus) from a life support machine (i.e. the mother's body).
    Last edited by sledger; 07-04-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I mean, even if we accept that a fetus is a human being (which I do not, personally, up to a certain point anyway), and that it therefore has a right to life, the idea that its right to life extends to a right to use someone else's body to live (i.e. the mother) is total madness imo.

Abortion does not directly affect the fetus' right to live, it just deprives it of something it has no right to.

Assuming of course the fetus is not capable of surviving without the body of the mother. If it can then that changes things somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I mean, even if we accept that a fetus is a human being (which I do not, personally, up to a certain point anyway), and that it therefore has a right to life, the idea that its right to life extends to a right to use someone else's body to live (i.e. the mother) is total madness imo.

Abortion does not directly affect the fetus' right to live, it just deprives it of something it has no right to.

Assuming of course the fetus is not capable of surviving without the body of the mother. If it can then that changes things somewhat.
    This is more or less the Rothbard position

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Haha didn't actually know this tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Haha yep it's down the line evictionism, particularly with the important addition of that last line. Rothbard laid it out, Walter Block perfected it, almost no-one other than hardcore libertarians actually see it precisely like that and it's a civil war even amongst us, in the meetings we hold in phone booths. Seeing sledger articulate it amused me.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Except (excluding cases of rape) it was invited in.

It'd be like inviting someone into your hot air balloon, going 1000s of feet in the air then asking them to vacate your property. You've put them in a position where they're vulnerable before using a rights based argument to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Except (excluding cases of rape) it was invited in.

It'd be like inviting someone into your hot air balloon, going 1000s of feet in the air then asking them to vacate your property. You've put them in a position where they're vulnerable before using a rights based argument to kill them.
    This logic only really works if one accepts the premise that the sole and exclusive purpose of having *** is to conceive a child.

If a person's intended purpose is anything else, then at best they can be described as reckless to the possibility of conceiving a child. With this being the case, the inviting someone into your property/balloon analogy does not really work.

It's like saying if you leave the front door of your house open and a random person from the street walks in this constitutes an invitation, and this person now has an irrevocable claim on your property.
    Last edited by sledger; 07-04-2019 at 06:27 AM.

This logic only really works if one accepts the premise that the sole and exclusive purpose of having *** is to conceive a child.
    Most people are very well aware that the creation of a life is a potential outcome to having *** though. In the vast majority of cases you're talking about a voluntarily entered action in which both parties had the knowledge that pregnancy was a predictable, if not necessarily likely, consequence.

Most people are very well aware that the creation of a life is a potential outcome to having *** though. In the vast majority of cases you're talking about a voluntarily entered action in which both parties had the knowledge that pregnancy was a predictable, if not necessarily likely, consequence.
    Yeah, but I am also very well aware that me getting mugged/attacked is a potential outcome of me leaving my house.

Yeah, but I am also very well aware that me getting mugged/attacked is a potential outcome of me leaving my house.
    I don't see how that analogy maps. In one you're talking about a predictable if unintended consequence of your actions and your actions alone, in the other you're talking about being the victim of an violent act by a third party.

I was just attempting to highlight that forseeability of possible consequences =/= invitation of those consequences.

I was just attempting to highlight that forseeability of possible consequences =/= invitation of those consequences.
    Sure. I don't really think it applies to the relationship between having *** and getting pregnant, but I understand where you're coming from.

Edit: Maybe a better analogy would be the consequences of a poor diet. If you ate unhealthily for a decade and developed diabetes you could argue that you weren't following that diet because you wanted to be unhealthy. You were just regularly enjoying delicious food. Nevertheless you'd be hard pressed to argue you aren't responsible for the condition you found yourself in.

Doesn't map perfectly ofc, just how I see it.
    Last edited by Ausage; 07-04-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    sledger likes this.

Sure. I don't really think it applies to the relationship between having *** and getting pregnant, but I understand where you're coming from.

Edit: Maybe a better analogy would be the consequences of a poor diet. If you ate unhealthily for a decade and developed diabetes you could argue that you weren't following that diet because you wanted to be unhealthy. You were just regularly enjoying delicious food. Nevertheless you'd be hard pressed to argue you aren't responsible for the condition you found yourself in.

Doesn't map perfectly ofc, just how I see it.
    Indeed, but it would also be your prerogative to deal with said condition however you wanted. If you trying to improve your health alter your condition were to adversely affect someone else, and maybe even kill them (though I can't think of how in reality this might occur), whilst this might be morally dubious, this other person would have no claim on your body.

Indeed, but it would also be your prerogative to deal with said condition however you wanted. If you trying to improve your health alter your condition were to adversely affect someone else, and maybe even kill them (though I can't think of how in reality this might occur), whilst this might be morally dubious, this other person would have no claim on your body.
    The other person would have claim on their body though.

I don't think my diabetes analogy really stretches this far though. I was mostly using it to illustrate that actions can have predictable consequences that weren't necessarily the primary motivator for said action.

Thread Information