Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1588 of 1709 FirstFirst ... 588108814881538157815861587158815891590159816381688 ... LastLast
Results 23,806 to 23,820 of 25627
Like Tree9871Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Might have been posted earlier but thank goodness. Good to hear it officially

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/04/u...gtype=Homepage
    Was obvious to anyone with half a brain and doesn't get their news from right-wing clickbait sites.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Was obvious to anyone with half a brain and doesn't get their news from right-wing clickbait sites.
    Of course, but it's good to hear it officially, always.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...erable/583441/

This piece i think hits on something quite deep, and scans with a lot of conversations i’ve had with friends and my partner about what American workplaces are like.
    vcs and Anil like this.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post

This piece i think hits on something quite deep, and scans with a lot of conversations i’ve had with friends and my partner about what American workplaces are like.
    So this is based on the idea that the non-religious end up filling the god-shaped hole in their lives by worshiping something else. And I definitely believe that, and I think it's very powerful as a way of explaining all kinds of social phenomena. But I've never been able to figure out what it is that I'm worshiping instead.
    Ausage likes this.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    I feel like I identify with a lot in that article.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Of course, but it's good to hear it officially, always.
    were you genuinely scared that this could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    were you genuinely scared that this could happen?
    she hadn't outright ruled it out. While I wasn't overly concerned, and thought there was little chance, but still good to see it out in the open. She was the worst candidate to stand from either side in my living memory
    Zinzan likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar

Makes a few reasonable points but this one touched on something I reckon:

On a deeper level, Americans have forgotten an old-fashioned goal of working: It’s about buying free time.
    I would agree that this is a bit old fashioned but I don't think it's been forgotten. More like, if you really ask yourself what you spend your free time doing, does using work to buy more of it make you happier?

More concretely, whether you'd rather spend your time doing work or using your free time depends on whether you spend your free time stuff that means something to you or watching eps. Watching eps is fun but gets kinda tiresome after a while so you may as well just stay at work. At least there are people around.
    vcs likes this.

what do you mean by "watching eps"?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar

Good article.

There's a general sense that someone who has no interest in "progressing" as high as possible in their career is somehow frittering away an opportunity. I've never understood the reasoning. The higher up you go there's longer standard hours, more invasion of personal time, more stress and frankly a larger number of sociopaths to be dealt with. Good luck to anyone who wants that, but I think it suckers people in who don't want that anywhere near as much as they think they do.

I'd align it to money/status worship more than "workism", but that's mostly semantics. I think it's describing the same thing.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    That article is good but doesn't really touch on that all the wealth generated via automation hasn't been distributed to the workers it replaced. The money that were once wages are now profits.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    That article is good but doesn't really touch on that all the wealth generated via automation hasn't been distributed to the workers it replaced. The money that were once wages are now profits.
    That's been happening throughout history though. I don't really see how it's relevant.

The post 2008 recovery being funnelled through the financial sector and government seems to me to be a bigger problem.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    That's been happening throughout history though. I don't really see how it's relevant.

The post 2008 recovery being funnelled through the financial sector and government seems to me to be a bigger problem.
    If we're talking about government collusion with business I think the more egregious thing is the trend of cutting a full time job in half so you can employ two people at a lower rate than a full time person, which in turn makes the government look good because unemployment lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Good article.

There's a general sense that someone who has no interest in "progressing" as high as possible in their career is somehow frittering away an opportunity. I've never understood the reasoning. The higher up you go there's longer standard hours, more invasion of personal time, more stress and frankly a larger number of sociopaths to be dealt with. Good luck to anyone who wants that, but I think it suckers people in who don't want that anywhere near as much as they think they do.

I'd align it to money/status worship more than "workism", but that's mostly semantics. I think it's describing the same thing.
    Yeah, completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    This is a completely different issue IMO. This is more about the service jobs which have become more common, not less.
    Last edited by Spark; 05-03-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Thread Information