Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1586 of 1700 FirstFirst ... 586108614861536157615841585158615871588159616361686 ... LastLast
Results 23,776 to 23,790 of 25490
Like Tree9839Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

His approval ratings have been the most stable of any President in history (that we have polls for). By a long shot. The ~44% of people who support him will support him no matter what. I'm sure there's about 45% the other way too. It's the 10% that matters. A lot of those 10% are blue collar whites. That's why Biden is the strongest candidate IMO.
    Yes to this.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

His approval ratings have been the most stable of any President in history (that we have polls for). By a long shot. The ~44% of people who support him will support him no matter what. I'm sure there's about 45% the other way too. It's the 10% that matters. A lot of those 10% are blue collar whites. That's why Biden is the strongest candidate IMO.
    This is an interesting perspective.

You could also argue every president in modern history had 45% of people that would support them no matter what at this stage of their presidency. Only Reagan and Ford dipped lower than 40% in the first 750 or so days but that was during a time with a lot less polling so could also be explained by that. The one termers HW and Carter both only seriously took big hits to their approval rating when election season started again in earnest.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=rrpromo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    zero.
    Agree it’s virtually a zero chance, which makes it more stupid that the Dem house are starting all these secondary sub-investigations now the Russian collusion theory hysteria appears to be dead, in spite of the fact that’s all we’ve been hearing about from Dems and the likes of CNN and MSNBC at ad nauseam for the last two years.

The election is only a little over 18 months away now, their focus should be on defeating him there instead of all the time and resource going into more dead-end investigations which likely won’t have time to even play out before Nov 2020.

While the staunch anti-Trump voter will be happy for 100% of the Dem majority house resources to focus on bringing down Trump on other non- Russian related matters, I’m not sure the undecided voters will like it quite so much.

At least that’s the impression I get.
    Last edited by Zinzan; 04-03-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    Bahnz likes this.

Given that this is the American politics thread (rather than just the US politics thread), I thought I'd take a quick break from the Trump debates to say:

JFC Trudeau. What a complete and utter shambles.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Heh. Yeah watching half the US political spectrum work themselves into a lather over a complete non scandal while an actual scandal quietly brings down a sitting leader across the border is quite the contrast.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Are we really suggesting in this thread that it's a bad idea for Democrats to use investigative powers?
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Are we really suggesting in this thread that it's a bad idea for Democrats to use investigative powers?
    I'm suggesting the Russia thing is a political witch hunt.

"A bad idea" would be a matter of perspective I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I'm suggesting the Russia thing is a political witch hunt.

"A bad idea" would be a matter of perspective I guess.
    Yeah but somehow this has morphed into the idea - not just here but in the media - that the Democrats should avoid aggressively pursuing their investigative powers on non-Russia related matters, i.e. examples of corruption. That seems to me just a straightforwardly absurd and overthought proposition. Especially when quite a few high-profile members of the Trump admin have lost their jobs because of said examples!

Yeah but somehow this has morphed into the idea - not just here but in the media - that the Democrats should avoid aggressively pursuing their investigative powers on non-Russia related matters, i.e. examples of corruption. That seems to me just a straightforwardly absurd and overthought proposition. Especially when quite a few high-profile members of the Trump admin have lost their jobs because of said examples!
    Most of those jobs were related to misconduct surrounding the investigation no? Lying/misleading the FBI. Lying to congress etc. It's hard to look at that kind of "corruption" as particularly troubling given it looks like Mueller isn't going to turn up anything damning despite turning the screws pretty hard on Trump's closest advisors.

I mean, I agree with your point in a broad sense, but at this point they've spent so much of their political corruption capital on chasing the rabbit of the Clinton campaign's post election loss excuse making to the middle of nowhere. I don't know that people have the stomach for much more of it, particularly going into an election year.

This kind of confirms my earlier point that anti-trump people want him brought down at any cost, even if it meant that theoretically 100% of the House's time and resources were solely dedicated to that.

We've heard 'Russian Collusion' on almost a daily basis for 2 years. Now it looks as if Mueller's going to come up empty-handed on anything specifically against Trump, while Cohen said nothing in last week's hearing to support the Russian narrative. So how to the Dem's respond? They respond with... "Well if we can't bring him down for that, let's try some other tact.....".

Ausage is bang on the money when he says a decent portion of people (many undecided voters I'd guess) will be simply tired of this, and will see it as nothing but a witch-hunt. Not because there's nothing there, but because they cried wolf about Russia for so long and came up empty-handed. Hence why I said I don't think it does the Dem any favours politically speaking only 18 months out from the election.

Most of those jobs were related to misconduct surrounding the investigation no? Lying/misleading the FBI. Lying to congress etc. It's hard to look at that kind of "corruption" as particularly troubling given it looks like Mueller isn't going to turn up anything damning despite turning the screws pretty hard on Trump's closest advisors.

I mean, I agree with your point in a broad sense, but at this point they've spent so much of their political corruption capital on chasing the rabbit of the Clinton campaign's post election loss excuse making to the middle of nowhere. I don't know that people have the stomach for much more of it, particularly going into an election year.
    I was thinking more people like Price and Pruitt and now this new thing about Gary Cohn and the AT&T/TW merger deal. Like, straightforward corruption. There’s this emerging media narrative that Democrats, having been newly handed the big stick of subpoena power, should desist from aggressively using it because Russia. This just stikes me as silly.

Can I also just point out just how flagrantly, absurdly idiotic and bad faith the argument now flying around conservative circles is that “Congressional oversight is McCarthyism” and “American society is full of secret communists trying to destroy the country from within” at the same time.
    Last edited by Spark; 04-03-2019 at 10:33 PM.

I was thinking more people like Price and Pruitt and now this new thing about Gary Cohn and the AT&T/TW merger deal. Like, straightforward corruption. There’s this emerging media narrative that Democrats, having been newly handed the big stick of subpoena power, should desist from aggressively using it because Russia. This just stikes me as silly.
    I think that's fair enough. I just don't think that kind of corruption is sexy enough to get much time or attention from anyone in the Trump era.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

In what sense hasn’t Mueller turned up anything damning? The investigation has already led to a bunch of high profile convictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    In what sense hasn’t Mueller turned up anything damning? The investigation has already led to a bunch of high profile convictions.
    Most of it's been for stuff like lying to the FBI, witness tampering, lying to Congress. Basically impeding the investigation. I get those being serious issues if we're talking about a serious investigation, but if the whole thing is a witch hunt by an "intelligence community" who are solely looking to bring down the president then impeding it doesn't seem like a huge problem to me.

Tbf Mueller hasn't released his findings. There could be a bombshell. There were also a few legit financial irregularities from people around the campaign which is not even remotely surprising considering how much money gets poured into US election campaigns. Trumps team followed some leads in attempt to get some dirt on Hillary (something that both sides were doing). Nothing that warrants the mass hysteria surrounding the issue.

Frankly, that's a generous reading of it too. Calling it an attempted coup by the faceless, unelected bureaucracy and their media bootlickers doesn't seem particularly unreasonable tbh.

There could be a bombshell.
    I'd give you long odds on that.

Thread Information