Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1538 of 1713 FirstFirst ... 538103814381488152815361537153815391540154815881638 ... LastLast
Results 23,056 to 23,070 of 25681
Like Tree9883Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    why do you say that? it was maybe not justice exactly, more of a brutal reprisal...but i believe they did pay a heavy price for their cruelty during the war...
    they really really didn't
    hendrix likes this.

Would you mind explaining why you don’t think so?

Would you mind explaining why you don’t think so?
    very simple: wartime strategic bombings by another name are not in any way "justice" for the millions slaughtered in china, korea, vietnam, burma etc etc

compared to the destruction and punishment (in terms of territorial losses) meted out to germany, or to the other countries in the region, it's pretty clear japan got off lightly.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    why do you say that? it was maybe not justice exactly, more of a brutal reprisal...but i believe they did pay a heavy price for their cruelty during the war...
    They absolutely did not. They essentially got away with nothing. Look up the estimate of the damage (in human lives, let alone all the rape and torturethat was perpetrated by the Japanese during the war. They, as a society, never really confronted and came to terms with those actions in the same way the Germans had to.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 22-12-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Look up Unit 731 and the "consequences" they suffered if you feel like making yourself sick.
    OverratedSanity and Flem274* like this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Yeah the lack of an actual campaign into the Japanese main islands left the infrastructure relatively intact compared to Germany. America also almost immediately pivoted into restarting Japan and using their expertise against the red menace. Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the fire bombings of Tokyo were all horrific but nowhere the total devastation that occured in Germany.

The German populace also kind of had their noses shoved into their atrocities by the Soviet/French/UK/Yanks while their recovery was being administered. That didnt really occur in Japan. Massive blind eyes were turned towards their own atrocities. Just look at Hirohito.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Look up Unit 731 and the "consequences" they suffered if you feel like making yourself sick.
    Even in the places where they took a light touch, like my family's neck of the woods, there are plenty of stomach-clenching stories from around the area...

EDIT: Although with a lot of help from the French in the area, it must be said
    Last edited by Spark; 22-12-2018 at 07:57 PM.

very simple: wartime strategic bombings by another name are not in any way "justice" for the millions slaughtered in china, korea, vietnam, burma etc etc

compared to the destruction and punishment (in terms of territorial losses) meted out to germany, or to the other countries in the region, it's pretty clear japan got off lightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    They absolutely did not. They essentially got away with nothing. Look up the estimate of the damage (in human lives, let alone all the rape and torturethat was perpetrated by the Japanese during the war. They, as a society, never really confronted and came to terms with those actions in the same way the Germans had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Yeah the lack of an actual campaign into the Japanese main islands left the infrastructure relatively intact compared to Germany. America also almost immediately pivoted into restarting Japan and using their expertise against the red menace. Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the fire bombings of Tokyo were all horrific but nowhere the total devastation that occured in Germany.

The German populace also kind of had their noses shoved into their atrocities by the Soviet/French/UK/Yanks while their recovery was being administered. That didnt really occur in Japan. Massive blind eyes were turned towards their own atrocities. Just look at Hirohito.
    thanks for the details guys! i had read some of the stories about their atrocities but never really delved into such details...it is pretty horrifying...

incidentally this entire exchange is why i find a lot of modern hiroshima/nagasaki public discourse rather nauseating. it is extraordinary to me the extent to which japan has managed to portray itself in the minds of many as a victim.

incidentally this entire exchange is why i find a lot of modern hiroshima/nagasaki public discourse rather nauseating. it is extraordinary to me the extent to which japan has managed to portray itself in the minds of many as a victim.
    The broader shock about the power of the weaponry used is a significant factor in this surely.

I do find the "offensive language" objections from more nationalist Japanese at Chinese WW2 memorials particularly disgusting though.

The broader shock about the power of the weaponry used is a significant factor in this surely.
    My extremely cynical take is that a lot of it is revulsion from Americans at a weapon that they realised could be used on them for a change (by the Soviet Union).

I do find the "offensive language" objections from more nationalist Japanese at Chinese WW2 memorials particularly disgusting though.
    Yeah, it's abhorrent.
    Magrat Garlick likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    The Americans had something like five A-bombs of varying designs in the pipeline with several others in manufacturing. Their plan was to drop them basically every two days until Japan either surrendered or was leveled prior to an invasion from the north and the south which, even with a decimated population, was going to see hefty losses. They could have wrecked the joint but didn’t.

Compare and contrast this with Germany who’s total wartime deaths almost doubled after VE Day as many Germans died in the same camps they’d been administering, forced mass migration of Germans from Czech, Poland, etc. killed something like half a million alone. People starved to death, many in US custody. Intellectual property was plundered removing any chance of a recovery on the backs of inventions, patents, competitive advantage, etc. Reparations were extracted. Barely scratching the surface here.

The Japanese economy was flying roughly a decade after the war, Germany at the same time was just coming out of rationing. Germany was still paying some reparations in 2010, Japan’s history with even formal apologies is, to understate it a little, a little spotty. I’m not even terribly well-read on all this but I’m going to side with saying Japan got off relatively easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    The Americans had something like five A-bombs of varying designs in the pipeline with several others in manufacturing. Their plan was to drop them basically every two days until Japan either surrendered or was leveled prior to an invasion from the north and the south which, even with a decimated population, was going to see hefty losses. They could have wrecked the joint but didn’t.

Compare and contrast this with Germany who’s total wartime deaths almost doubled after VE Day as many Germans died in the same camps they’d been administering, forced mass migration of Germans from Czech, Poland, etc. killed something like half a million alone. People starved to death, many in US custody. Intellectual property was plundered removing any chance of a recovery on the backs of inventions, patents, competitive advantage, etc. Reparations were extracted. Barely scratching the surface here.

The Japanese economy was flying roughly a decade after the war, Germany at the same time was just coming out of rationing. Germany was still paying some reparations in 2010, Japan’s history with even formal apologies is, to understate it a little, a little spotty. I’m not even terribly well-read on all this but I’m going to side with saying Japan got off relatively easy.
    Mostly accurate. According to Hull and Groves (via interlopers), the plan was to get a "rhythm" of once every few days, but towards November or so start using them in preparation for Olympic - and then, presumably, Coronet down the line.

Thank **** that Olympic and Coronet never happened btw. That would have been a generational-level catastrophe for the US and Japan with very few parallels.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    On a cultural level, I do think that Grave of the Fireflies is probably the most traumatic war movie there is. Very moving film about a couple kids caught up in the war, and more specifically the firebombing of Tokyo.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

Obviously it’s war but the Japanese were a particularly sadistic adversary e.g. a large number of Australian, American & Kiwi POWs were hospitalised offshore for considerable periods post release as allies feared that public would want war to recommence if they were witness to their condition

What’s more, as an insular society, it was relatively easy for the powers that be to insulate the populace from the country’s role, behaviour and even the result of WW2

Tough to argue that they got off easy though

Thread Information