Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1527 of 1711 FirstFirst ... 527102714271477151715251526152715281529153715771627 ... LastLast
Results 22,891 to 22,905 of 25655
Like Tree9876Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    To be fair I think this is a result of many people who were fans but didn't feel the need to visit the site directly now actually needing to. I'm sure it has less reach than it used to, even among people who were vaguely receptive to its message.
    Yeah, the amount of eyeballs they were getting from the other services was probably quite considerable. I'd try to quantify it if I gave a ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    To be fair I think this is a result of many people who were fans but didn't feel the need to visit the site directly now actually needing to. I'm sure it has less reach than it used to, even among people who were vaguely receptive to its message.
    Yeah this. Let them enjoy their little hole in the internet, the silence elsewhere is lovely.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Until the American police get over the mental block of shoot first ask questions later, this will just continue to happen.... for all the fact that racial bias is almost always mentioned, and the guns lobby goes up in arms, it is for more a lack of training and accountability when you compare it to the rest of the developed worlds police forces. Of course huge variation exists in US as well.
    To be fair to the US police forces for a minute, shoot first, they are far more likely to be dealing with someone who also has a gun and I can see why a force might adopt a policy of shooting first.

The fact that this almost always seems to happen to black people is a different, although equally concerning issue.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Its about the type of people that the job attracts too. Its either people who were bullies as kids who made it a career or the bullied who finally want to feel power over others.

I am proud of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Personally, we’re dealing more with the effects of bad policy and training than personnel. Coppering, by nature, is top-down in its decision-making and the bawling and frightened aftermath I’ve seen in several bad shoots isn’t indicative of a force full of bullies or vets.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Has anyone seen the series Active Shooter? I downloaded it from Stan to watch on the plane to Fiji. FMD it's chilling but very good tv. The episode on Columbine was particularly interesting from a policing POV and how it changed the way they respond to these sort of things.

Terribly disturbing show at a number of levels but it's compelling and insightful.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    To be fair to the US police forces for a minute, shoot first, they are far more likely to be dealing with someone who also has a gun and I can see why a force might adopt a policy of shooting first.

The fact that this almost always seems to happen to black people is a different, although equally concerning issue.
    I know the argument for why they tend to shoot first; it is a silly argument imo. Many countries in the world allow ownership of guns, the problem is how the guns are used, and the mindset of why and when the public or police use a gun. The point of the police is to look after the public and their interests (I know some would laugh about that, but it is the idealised point even if it does not always happen.) That actually includes the criminals. Public safety first should be the motto with the least loss of life. The investigation of crimes etc is a secondary duty when prevention did not work.

I am no expert and I am sure there are many different people and police forces around the world that operate in various ways, but ultimately the point of the police is to diffuse situations. This is not going to be accomplished by a combative threatening attitudes; as a simple example officers in the UK are trained not to point weapons (guns or otherwise) at the public until they feel they must fire/take action. American officers appear to point at the public threatening to fire if the target does not act perfectly, hence the number of 'misunderstandings'. You create an aggressive police force that sees everybody as potential threats you will get unnecessary deaths, on both sides.

If you want to look at a truly overwrought police force look at SA; if you want to see what poor training and anger towards the public does read up on Marikana.
    Last edited by StephenZA; 19-11-2018 at 02:16 AM.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

I'd never vote for her, but got to admire how Ocasio drives not just the right but some of the centre so mad

https://twitter.com/JenKirkman/statu...61879218954240

see above.

Cricketer Of The Year SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Strong woman.
    Symmetry is beauty, beauty is truth. Breaking symmetry means breaking truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    I'd never vote for her, but got to admire how Ocasio drives not just the right but some of the centre so mad

https://twitter.com/JenKirkman/statu...61879218954240

see above.
    Can't stand AOC but that is one deranged individual.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

if we could just get literally all the comedians to shut the **** up for a while then i feel politics would improve a lot

wrt aoc, i do wonder if there's a progressive variant of the phenomenon you usually see on the right, "she just says what people are already thinking" kind of thing going on. i personally don't regard that as a particularly positive development given how malignant and toxic that sort of thinking has been on the right, turning liberal-conservatives into reactionary-nationalists, but it would explain a lot of the general media/social media ecosystem surrounding her
    Last edited by Spark; 19-11-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

if we could just get literally all the comedians to shut the **** up for a while then i feel politics would improve a lot

wrt aoc, i do wonder if there's a progressive variant of the phenomenon you usually see on the right, "she just says what people are already thinking" kind of thing going on. i personally don't regard that as a particularly positive development given how malignant and toxic that sort of thinking has been on the right, turning liberal-conservatives into reactionary-nationalists, but it would explain a lot of the general media/social media ecosystem surrounding her
    There's definitely similarities to Trump in how she uses Twitter. Very good with the platform, liberal with barbs that play well with her base. I feel like it's just the nature of conversing on Twitter more than it is anything else though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    There's definitely similarities to Trump in how she uses Twitter. Very good with the platform, liberal with barbs that play well with her base. I feel like it's just the nature of conversing on Twitter more than it is anything else though.
    I guess there are definitely similiarities at the categorical level but IMO they appeal to very very different audiences culturally. I will note that AOC is one of the few politicians who seems to be making any sort of effort to speak to young people in a way they'd be more attuned with.

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    I guess there are definitely similiarities at the categorical level but IMO they appeal to very very different audiences culturally. I will note that AOC is one of the few politicians who seems to be making any sort of effort to speak to young people in a way they'd be more attuned with.
    excluding the alt-righters who speak fluent meme

(few of them running for elected office, thankfully...)
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    What's wrong with her exactly? Strip away the crazy levels of heat surrounding her and she seems like a pretty normal 29 year old left-wing person to me.
    Anil, hendrix and _Ed_ like this.

Thread Information