Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1137 of 1744 FirstFirst ... 137637103710871127113511361137113811391147118712371637 ... LastLast
Results 17,041 to 17,055 of 26158
Like Tree10055Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Anyone else think that policemen who are so afraid shouldn't be pulling over cars to begin with?
    indiaholic, Prince EWS and zorax like this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    The whole incident unfolded over seconds, it's easy to quarterback it from here. For both parties. Castile probably could have done a thing or two slightly better but he shouldn't have paid for it with his life. As I said, there's the cultural context at play too, in places with less restrictive gun laws, it's very common to hold the attitude that the point of those laws should be to allow citizens to do whatever they want with those guns if they're normal people, the police only there to put down any bad guys. From a country with gun restrictions, it's bloody easy to judge. For all the comic book evil the NRA does (and their near-silence on this is disgraceful) one thing the good chapters do is partner with local law to hold seminars and training at ranges to deal with things like this, provide extra training, reassure their members that registered, legal gun owners are not being targeted by police, etc. This is what community policing is all about and goes a long way toward calming everyone down in light of horrible incidents of this nature. I'm hoping it's already happened. All this 'under the hood' stuff is what doesn't get in the press but it's far better at stopping bad incidents than law changes, personally.

All that said, the member in question was the trained party here with all the protection that entails and this is what training is meant to prevent. A lot of contacts unfold over seconds so the point of training is to reinforce things that result in good split-second decisions. Using blank targets in shooting rather than those which look like people, for example. That the member was stopping someone for a busted tail-light as a pretense to have a look at them after another crime has been committed in the area is common but he already had the black guy thing in his head, despite the fact that was literally the only matching part of the description, is a bias which maybe led to him to be on the look out for trouble. This, of course, affects his future decision-making and when already keyed-up, he's looking for one false move, saw his orphaned family, etc.

Breaking those thought processes early is a training issue, seminars will be run, etc. but it's also a police culture thing. One good (and bad) part of the hierarchical culture these guys operate in is that when one of the bosses gets a bee in their bonnet about something, it's easy to promulgate it downward and essentially bully the apes into compliance. Of course, if the opposite message is being passed down or bias' are left to run unchecked....
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 24-06-2017 at 02:07 AM.

indiaholic likes this.

Cricket Champion!

----

In other sane news, SCOTUS okays Trump's travel ban.
    ★★★★★

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    I could stomach CNN's agenda-driven approach more if they didn't claim to be a neutral news provider. At least the likes of Fox news (pro-Trump) and MSNBC news (anti-Trump), don't seem to pretend otherwise.

Yet CNN try to imply they're bipartisan, yet anyone who's watched the likes of Don Lemon, Jake Tapper, Chris Cuomo for any length of time know exactly where they stand politically. And a massive lol @ their regular panelists, always at least a 3:1 ratio of democrats vs. republicans, and of the few republicans they do have, they're generally weak pushovers.

I think we can all agree the Trump administration has deserved more criticism/negative press than praise in the last 6 months or so, but that figure that CNN's coverage has been 94% negative towards this administration is pretty damn telling, saying nothing about the fact they jump all over any loosely leaked stories from anonymous sources.

That CNN producer caught on hidden camera the other day explaining that the negative press and continuing the focus on the Russian story for ratings says it all really. CNN Producer Calls Trump-Russia Story 'Mostty | The Daily Caller

I think Tapper is very reasonable tbh. Lemon and Cuomo are hacks though.

I mean, that CNN chases sensationalism over sober journalism is hardly new. Remember their coverage of MH317?
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Yeah well that's my point, they're no better than any of the others, yet there's a perception among many of their base that they're straight down the middle.

I don't think you could say the same about the perception of the your average Fox viewer. I think they'd concede it's conservative leaning.

Btw, Tapper might be better than those other two, but only marginally so for mine. Still feel he leans fairly heavily on one side of the aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Yeah well that's my point, they're no better than any of the others, yet there's a perception among many of their base that they're straight down the middle.

I don't think you could say the same about the perception of the your average Fox viewer. I think they'd concede it's conservative leaning.

Btw, Tapper might be better than those other two, but only marginally so for mine. Still feel he leans fairly heavily on one side of the aisle.
    Tapper has mostly seemed hard but fair to me. But I don't exactly make a point to watch CNN, tbf. The thing about Fox right now is that it seems to be genuinely running a parallel reality at times, particularly on shows like Hannity. It's very strange.

No disagreement there. Hannity is the anti- Rachel Maddow, Trump's biggest cheerleader out there.

Good news coming out of Congress is rare enough that it's worth noting, even if it hasn't gone through yet: the 2001 AUMF might finally get killed off.

State Captain
    If you can't grab her by the p***y there will be blood coming out of her

Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    ???

Anyway, I cannot think of anything more depressingly on the nose than a Twitter slapfight between a cable news breakfast TV host and the President of the United States.
    Last edited by Spark; 30-06-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    vcs and indiaholic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    Did you take whatever it was Vimes had?
    zorax likes this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Thread Information