Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1054 of 1709 FirstFirst ... 5455495410041044105210531054105510561064110411541554 ... LastLast
Results 15,796 to 15,810 of 25628
Like Tree9871Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Articles are simply better for discussion anyway. If I post an article, people can point to specific sections and quote particular parts that they want to discuss or analyse or scrutinise further, it's a natural starting point for discussion. Simply planking down some long-form enormously opinionated and ideological video and expecting us to take that as dictum is, at worse, intensely condescending ("watch this and you'll be enlightened!" how about **** off) and at best, makes it difficult for other people to really comment and scrutinise the content of the videos. The best sort of videos are the kind which don't come with really obvious ideological pre-packaging and let the viewer make up their own decision, e.g. stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    Wow WTF that's the secret to the universe!?! And that part where 911 gets utterly debunked? Amazing.

I'm glad liberals will never get far enough through this video to see it.
    It'd be really nice if you either made a proper contribution to the thread or just keep this stuff to yourself tbh. It's long since started to grate.
    StephenZA and NZTailender like this.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Its far easier to read and get details from an article than a video and well written articles tend to also provide references for what they are talking about, particularly on the net now days. Videos tend to be sound bites of information, even the longer videos.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    Its far easier to read and get details from an article than a video and well written articles tend to also provide references for what they are talking about, particularly on the net now days. Videos tend to be sound bites of information, even the longer videos.
    I find them much easier to check too, although this could just be transferred habits from academia.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I find them much easier to check too, although this could just be transferred habits from academia.
    Academia and fact checking is a difficult habit to break....

Cricket Champion!
    A lot of the videos I post have people actually dissecting articles and backing up with their own (Crowder does it all the time). There's no more reason to believe a writer knows what they're talking about than a podcaster like Shapiro. If you want to check if what they're saying is true, that's what the internet is for.
    ★★★★★

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    If they're good interesting videos, I'll watch them, if they're **** I won't. Sorry to be complicated.

Banned
    How do you know if they're either good or interesting until you start watching them?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    How do you know if they're either good or interesting until you start watching them?
    You just need to see whether "BLM protester DESTROYED in debate!" is written in the description
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    For whatever reason, I tend to find that people making a video find it easier to get away with hideously sloppy reasoning and still garner an audience in ways that people writing 2500-word articles do not, at least not whilst getting reward with a juicy public hit-count.
    The videos are entertainment first and foremost. They're often organic in how they're produced, they follow general talking points but are relatively unscripted. As a result you get either some poorly worded statements or (more often) some hyperbolic reactions done in the name of comedy, but there's plenty of valuable insight to be gained from them if you have the time. A lot of them don't translate well on first listen either, the speaker has often previously fleshed out other components of their reasoning that will add context for the regular viewer but won't translate well on a forum like this with diverse political outlooks.

This whole pile on against video content being posted is a bit silly tbh. You're either in a position to watch videos or not. The video either has content worth consuming or not. The poster either put in some effort into providing some context for the video or they didn't. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

One suggestion I'd make is to be sure to time-stamp the parts that are relevant to whatever point(s) you're interested in making.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    You just need to see whether "BLM protester DESTROYED in debate!" is written in the description
    Ugh. Yeah those titles are the worst.

Banned
    So Rachel Maddow has tweeted that NBC apparently has Trump's tax returns. Something worth following I suppose, if only for the rage tweets in reply from the leader of the free world.

[Posts an hour long video which summarises everyone who supports my own view on this issue, cites it as empirical fact].
    StephenZA likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    So Rachel Maddow has tweeted that NBC apparently has Trump's tax returns. Something worth following I suppose, if only for the rage tweets in reply from the leader of the free world.

[Posts an hour long video which summarises everyone who supports my own view on this issue, cites it as empirical fact].

It doesn't need to be an 'hour long video'. Art done well can shatter your preconceptions in a mere 5 minutes.

Last edited by watson; 14-03-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    Ikki likes this.

Very little gets posted in any political discussion that shatters anyone's preconceptions. Most of the content is either ignored or reinforces them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Very little gets posted in any political discussion that shatters anyone's preconceptions. Most of the content is either ignored or reinforces them.
    Ain't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Indeed, any title that might offend and/or outrage Bahnz as a general rule.

Thread Information