Page 688 of 701 FirstFirst ... 188588638678686687688689690698 ... LastLast
Results 10,306 to 10,320 of 10507
Like Tree1656Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Sadly, as a general rule, I always promise a lot but ultimately disappoint.

Still better than Furball though, who promises little and then still under-performs
    Prince EWS likes this.

Hall of Fame Member flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Given that the terror threat was heightened until very recently, it's a bit concerning that someone can get up on stage to deliver a P45 to May.
    He is lucky not to have been threatened by an armed policeman. Well he should be, very silly prank from a totally unfunny person. Hopefully he tries some stunt on Putin and it will be the last we see of him.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Sadly, as a general rule, I always promise a lot but ultimately disappoint.

Still better than Furball though, who promises little and then still under-performs
    Love you too
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Could May have had things go any worse in that conference? And I'm not sure that any of it was really her fault?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Grant Shapps and his cohorts (if in fact there are any) were put down very swiftly, so that might have been worse

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    She has to take some blame, very bland speech and an overall lifeless conference.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/...rty-right-now/

Worth a read from one of Guido Fawkes peeps.

Some classic stuff there such as..

Davis rubbing his joke in Johnsonís face The two most likely to fight it out in the event of a leadership contest are Boris Johnson and David Davis. There were skirmishes between them all week, reaching a crescendo in the conference hall when Davis joked: ďWe train the best diplomats and put them to the test by sending them to work for the Foreign Secretary.Ē Davis enjoyed it so much that later that evening he went up to Boris and ribbed him in person, telling his rival: ďDid you see my joke? They loved it!Ē
    Over in the Tory MPsí WhatsApp group, Nadine Dorries has been defending Boris from critical colleagues. She rounded on Anna Soubry, Heidi Allen and Sarah Wollaston, ordering them to ďshut upĒ and withdraw their calls for him to resign. In a suspected fit of pique, Soubryís friend Antoinette Sandbach responded by removing Dorries from the group. Sandbach later claimed the deletion was an accident and invited her back in. Nigel Huddleston sensibly advised colleagues to refrain from WhatsApp wars in case it leaked out to journalists. Then attention turned to Shapps. One MPís missive read: ďIíve added you to this group of colleagues. The summary is WTF and STFU.Ē Alec Shelbrooke referenced the Tory election fraud scandal on Shappsí watch, writing: ďThere are fewer signatures on your list than files sent to the CPS after the election campaign you ran as chairman.Ē Another colleague said: ďDo yourself a favour and wind your neck in.Ē

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/...rty-right-now/
    Ausage likes this.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Corbyn is a fairly clear favourite to win in 2022. Demographics alone would give him a minority government, and all of the fundamentals are likely to be in his favour (govt trying for 4th consecutive win, economy likely to be in recession etc). Not that I'd be staking the mortgage on it but it's more likely than not.
    Iíve been thinking about this and maybe itís wishful thinking but I just donít see it. The latest polling indicates Labour and the Tories are level in best case for the Tories or a 3/4 point gap in worst. If thatís as good as you can do when you supposedly have all the momentum (yeah yeah) and the PM is drastically unpopular then I canít say itís likely that the opposition take Downing Street next time - assuming May is gone by then, which she will be

I just donít see where the extra votes will come from whereas the Tories will only regain voters when they change leader, unless they land someone worse. Theyíre going to struggle to do worse than the incumbent, authoritarian Blairite witch that she is.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I’ve been thinking about this and maybe it’s wishful thinking but I just don’t see it. The latest polling indicates Labour and the Tories are level in best case for the Tories or a 3/4 point gap in worst. If that’s as good as you can do when you supposedly have all the momentum (yeah yeah) and the PM is drastically unpopular then I can’t say it’s likely that the opposition take Downing Street next time - assuming May is gone by then, which she will be

I just don’t see where the extra votes will come from whereas the Tories will only regain voters when they change leader, unless they land someone worse. They’re going to struggle to do worse than the incumbent, authoritarian Blairite witch that she is.
    More young people entering the political process and more old people leaving it (i.e. dying)? Can't be ruled out that Momentum et al will be even better with practice wrt their turnout operation too.

Plus there's the fact that UK GE polling seems uniquely crap
    Last edited by Spark; 10-10-2017 at 12:37 AM.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    The population shift over 4-5 years is massively overstated. Pretty sure if you break it down itís not going to be significant enough. And itís not as if none of the old people dying will be in hardcore red areas.

The polls certainly arenít great but that can go either way.

The population shift over 4-5 years is massively overstated. Pretty sure if you break it down it’s not going to be significant enough. And it’s not as if none of the old people dying will be in hardcore red areas.

The polls certainly aren’t great but that can go either way.
    True but the age polarisation is ridiculously large now. there's a good chance those deep-red area Old voters voted Tory

International Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    But there is also a clear economic distinction. It is amazing how as people get older and start owning their own property paying bills etc, they go from Labour to Torie supporters.
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Iíve been thinking about this and maybe itís wishful thinking but I just donít see it. The latest polling indicates Labour and the Tories are level in best case for the Tories or a 3/4 point gap in worst. If thatís as good as you can do when you supposedly have all the momentum (yeah yeah) and the PM is drastically unpopular then I canít say itís likely that the opposition take Downing Street next time - assuming May is gone by then, which she will be

I just donít see where the extra votes will come from whereas the Tories will only regain voters when they change leader, unless they land someone worse. Theyíre going to struggle to do worse than the incumbent, authoritarian Blairite witch that she is.
    Leaders are usually less important than the state of the economy, incumbency effects, etc. In any case Corbyn isn't especially unpopular anymore and the Tory front runners aren't doing that much better than May.

Also I don't really see how they can pull off Brexit without losing any votes. Every possible Brexit massively lets some key voter group down. They don't even have to go to Labour to swing the election.

The population shift over 4-5 years is massively overstated. Pretty sure if you break it down itís not going to be significant enough. And itís not as if none of the old people dying will be in hardcore red areas.

The polls certainly arenít great but that can go either way.
    Yeah I only bring up the population shift because the margins are so tight. 1% swing gives us a minority labour government.

Eighty-eight per cent of leave voters felt that a Ďyesí vote in a second referendum on Scottish independence was an acceptable price to pay in order to "take back control." A similarly high proportion, 81%, also felt that destabilising the Northern Ireland peace process would be worthwhile to see the UK exit the European Union.
    https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/view/...survive-brexit

So that's really offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    But there is also a clear economic distinction. It is amazing how as people get older and start owning their own property paying bills etc, they go from Labour to Torie supporters.
    Yes, except people aren't actually owning their own property as they get older these days, at least not at the levels it used to be.

Thread Information