Page 597 of 606 FirstFirst ... 97497547587595596597598599 ... LastLast
Results 8,941 to 8,955 of 9087
Like Tree1362Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

It's because "FREE STUFF FOR EVERYONE" sounds like it's a great progressive policy when it's not.

It's my favourite debating tool with SNP mongs on social media because they'll witter on about how wonderful and progressive the SNP are but cannot name a single policy that is actually progressive. When you challenge them on it they'll mention stuff like free university tuition or free prescriptions, and seem oddly lost for words when you point out that those policies are middle class subsidies and not examples of progressive policies at all.

And if you remove free stuff from people who don't need it, it frees up more cash to be spent on those who do need it, or allows that cash to be targetted in different areas. So instead of providing free school meals for everyone, means test it and use the saved cash towards subsidising breakfast clubs that parents can drop their kids off at before the start of the working/school day. Instead of paying every pensioner 200 winter fuel allowance, don't pay people who can blatantly afford it (it used to really annoy me in my customer services days when oldies with more in savings than I earn in a year would phone up to check if their 200 had gone in) and increase the amount of the allowance for those that do.
    GIMH likes this.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Ah yes, there's no need to talk with Australians about middle class welfare. It's gone a long way towards ****ing the country over. Thanks Johnny Howard. **** he is.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International Regular StephenZA's Avatar
    Ruth Davidson: Scottish Labour supporters should vote Tory to stop Nicola Sturgeon
    I like Ruth Davidson... but the irony here is not lost on me.
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah I said Lib Dems would get about the same but no I didn't bet on them

Think the reasons have been listed really. I can't click Niall's link as I'm on my work machine but a report I read earlier said Labour had gained but not from the Tories, who hadn't moved.

Farron is awful and clearly his anti-gay and abortion stances, denied or not, have turned potential voters off. Plenty of traditional Labour voters who were considering voting Lib Dem will jump to Labour at this stage and later, because Farron is so bad and also because they ultimately don't want a Tory government. But those who are happy with the Tories will have seen no reason to change.
    How do the Lib Dems select their leader? Seems amazing to me that someone with those views is leading them, when I thought they'd (before the whole coalition debacle) set them up as a good middle ground party to capture from both parties - a la the Democrats here in the 1980s and 1990s.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    How do the Lib Dems select their leader? Seems amazing to me that someone with those views is leading them, when I thought they'd (before the whole coalition debacle) set them up as a good middle ground party to capture from both parties - a la the Democrats here in the 1980s and 1990s.
    They only had 8 MPs to choose from, one of whom was Clegg, so 7. I think he was literally the only one interested.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Voted for by members, single vote I believe

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Voted for by members, single vote I believe
    As in members of the party, or MPs?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Of the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Regular
    Not exactly Bill Gates when it comes to money, but is it really so horrid that you need photo id to vote? Tories are been killed for suggesting photo id in future to vote.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Could be dodgy from a data protection/privacy pov.

If you require photographic ID to vote then that necessarily means it would have to be stored in some sort of centralised database in order for it to serve any purpose, and that in itself is pretty dodgy, perhaps especially if the database is held by a public sector organisation.
    Niall likes this.

International Regular StephenZA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Could be dodgy from a data protection/privacy pov.

If you require photographic ID to vote then that necessarily means it would have to be stored in some sort of centralised database in order for it to serve any purpose, and that in itself is pretty dodgy, perhaps especially if the database is held by a public sector organisation.
    Whats the difference to having a passport.... or even a bus pass?
    Niall likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Arguably not much, some people object to those as well tbf. The devil is in the detail though, if such a database existed it would depend who held it and who could conceivably have access to it.
    Niall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    Not exactly Bill Gates when it comes to money, but is it really so horrid that you need photo id to vote? Tories are been killed for suggesting photo id in future to vote.
    It's because of who such a measure targets. Photo ID is expensive if you're young, poorly paid or on benefits. Guess which party those groups tend not to vote for?
    Niall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    They only had 8 MPs to choose from, one of whom was Clegg, so 7. I think he was literally the only one interested.
    Norman Lamb (who is actually much better) went for it as well but Farron was always more popular with the party, staying out of the coalition government probably helped.
    Niall likes this.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Norman Lamb (who is actually much better) went for it as well but Farron was always more popular with the party, staying out of the coalition government probably helped.
    Goes to show the pressure the Lib Dems are in, when Lamb is odds against to win his seat, 6/4 you can get

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics.../winning-party

Thread Information