Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 53 of 1182 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455631031535531053 ... LastLast
Like Tree3142Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's an interesting change of tune from "there's no such thing as society". I don't think anyone in the future will be able to get away with Thatcher's method of telling everyone she was going to **** them over before ****ing then over.
    The "no such thing as society" thing has been taken out of context. She did go on to talk about a living tapestry of men and women and the Cameron quote that "there is such a thing as society, it is just not the same as the state" appears to be a pretty accurate clarification, having read the whole article, not too long ago.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Forgot about Brighton.

We need a list if places that need to be given independence and surrounded by brick walls and razor wire. It can join Crawley, Plymouth, Hull, Newport... actually, where's that crap towns thread gone?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    The "no such thing as society" thing has been taken out of context. She did go on to talk about a living tapestry of men and women and the Cameron quote that "there is such a thing as society, it is just not the same as the state" appears to be a pretty accurate clarification, having read the whole article, not too long ago.
    Even if it was taken out of context, it's a terrible idea for a politician to say something like that. If Cameron was quoted as saying it today it would be political suicide. But Thatcher was kinda like that. She had a unique ability to get away with blatantly offending large portions of the electorate. "Anyone over 30 who rides the bus is a failure" was another one, along with a series of comments on how terrible and useless men are. I can't imagine anyone getting away with that again.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    This is a valid point. I'll try to find some statistics about voluntary and involuntary unemployment but the point is that it is a poor system if you can, in theory, earn a higher wage and your post tax and post benefits income reduces. Moreover, it must cost the country some money in paper work to tax the same people who you are going to give benefits to.

We were sat figuring this out the other day, and you know its not actually far off the mark.

For example, I do a standard 37 hour week, of course I pay tax on that. If I wanted to do any overtime, i figure out i'd have to pay the following on that extra work

20% tax
    11% NI
    9% Student Loan.

So thats 40% gone off the cuff. Also, if I was recieving Tax Credits (for example, if i had children, or was below the working tax credit cut off point), for every pound my income goes up, my TC payments can go down by 39p. So at that point i'd have in theory lost 79p for every 1 extra I earnt. So if my overtime rate was 10/hr, i'd see 2.10 of it.......The same 'tapering' system applies to other benefits as they do to Tax Credits, such as housing benefit, JSA, council tax bens etc etc.... Don't know the rates for those but could well take you over a 100% deduction...... It is possible extra work can actually be detrimental to a person, depending in what benefits they get in the first place... Of course those with the most income based benefits are those on the lower incomes in the first place.....
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    11% NI
    Pretty generous way of funding them Paddys. Makes you wonder why they're so upset with England
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

cpr
    Yeh but theres the northern Irish nail tax of 23%, makes bomb making and terrorism too expensive

(BTW, incase you wern't joking - NI = National Insurance... forgot non brits might actually look at this thread)

We were sat figuring this out the other day, and you know its not actually far off the mark.

For example, I do a standard 37 hour week, of course I pay tax on that. If I wanted to do any overtime, i figure out i'd have to pay the following on that extra work

20% tax
    11% NI
    9% Student Loan.

So thats 40% gone off the cuff. Also, if I was recieving Tax Credits (for example, if i had children, or was below the working tax credit cut off point), for every pound my income goes up, my TC payments can go down by 39p. So at that point i'd have in theory lost 79p for every 1 extra I earnt. So if my overtime rate was 10/hr, i'd see 2.10 of it.......The same 'tapering' system applies to other benefits as they do to Tax Credits, such as housing benefit, JSA, council tax bens etc etc.... Don't know the rates for those but could well take you over a 100% deduction...... It is possible extra work can actually be detrimental to a person, depending in what benefits they get in the first place... Of course those with the most income based benefits are those on the lower incomes in the first place.....
    Yeah, back in the day I got promoted in work but the extra money didn't make a huge difference to our overall income. The main difference was that there was more money going into my account and less into the missus'. Can't complain about that, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    (BTW, incase you wern't joking - NI = National Insurance... forgot non brits might actually look at this thread)
    I wasn't serious, but I didn't know what it meant either. Thanks

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Conservative Party: 62%
    Liberal Democrats: 58%
    Labour Party: 46%
    Green Party: 23%

Interesting... would have thought Green would be higher.

Oh well... only one party I can possibly vote for then... at least considering the Labour Party keep stuffing leaflets through my door telling me not to vote Lib Dem because it "is a wasted vote".

Did this Telegraph who to vote for thingy. SNP came out on top, but that was just because I larked around saying Scotland should be independent. So can be disregarded. To my total surprise I turned out to be more or less completely aligned with LibDem policies. WTF?
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    Did this Telegraph who to vote for thingy. SNP came out on top, but that was just because I larked around saying Scotland should be independent. So can be disregarded. To my total surprise I turned out to be more or less completely aligned with LibDem policies. WTF?
    Just found out that LibDem leader speaks Dutch fluently!

Anyway, would I have been British, I would vote LibDem anyway. Of all political factions, conservative and labour are the crappiest...

Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, *SPD Smith, Mahmudullah, C de Grandhomme, +AT Carey, PJ Cummins, Rashid Khan, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    "When they had a plan for Cooky, I was telling him what they will do."

Moeen Ali helps England out by translating what Pakistan's players say in Urdu and Punjabi on the field.

Election pretty interesting at the moment, Lib Dems have had a massive boost in the polls but is that really going to translate into seats? We will have to see, would still be amazed if they come anything else than third. Still a hung parliament looking very likely, could easily have two elections this year.

News at Ten had the Libs in second on votes but well behind both parties on seats. Tories came out top in both but not with enough for a majority. Will be an interesting election and even if we get a majority I imagine it will go to the wire, so to speak.

Thread Information