Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 506 of 1202 FirstFirst ... 64064564965045055065075085165566061006 ... LastLast
Results 7,576 to 7,590 of 18017
Like Tree3216Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, there's no argument here. Furball is saying "The jury fulfils role X better under Y circumstances". You're just repeating "The role of the jury is X".
    Not really, I am saying that in my view the role of the court should be X and X alone. Furball appears to be suggesting it should be something else.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Rape and sexual assault cases are a perfect example of where the third verdict is useful. People too often confuse 'not guilty' with 'innocent.'
    Legally speaking not guilty and innocent are one and the same. Like I keep saying, the question to be answered is always "is there any criminal liability"? You are either acquitted or you are not.

People might confuse common understandings of "not guilty" and "innocent", but that is not anything to do with the law, and so in my view the court should have no jurisdiction to make determinations in respect of such things.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Not really, I am saying that in my view the role of the court should be X and X alone. Furball appears to be suggesting it should be something else.
    I think he's actually suggesting that it might do a better job of X if you tell it to do Y instead.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Code:
    Pixie Caramels won by an Innings and 258 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I think he's actually suggesting that it might do a better job of X if you tell it to do Y instead.
    Right, ok, I see this point. My issue with it is that to me that a dichotomous guilty/not guilty judgment is qualitatively different from one that is of the guilty/not guilty/not proven type.

Evil Scotsman
    Bear in mind there's a different standard of proof required in Scots Law.

Technically, a confession from the accused is not enough evidence for a guilty verdict unless that evidence is corroborated.

Going back to the Ched Evans case; if the bold Chedwyn had had an attack of conscience afterwards and gone to a police station to confess to raping his victim, in the absence of any other corroborating evidence to place him at the scene (such as hotel CCTV footage), a jury would have had to return a not proven verdict.

Bear in mind there's a different standard of proof required in Scots Law.

Technically, a confession from the accused is not enough evidence for a guilty verdict unless that evidence is corroborated.

Going back to the Ched Evans case; if the bold Chedwyn had had an attack of conscience afterwards and gone to a police station to confess to raping his victim, in the absence of any other corroborating evidence to place him at the scene (such as hotel CCTV footage), a jury would have had to return a not proven verdict.
    Yeah, I appreciate the burden of proof is different, but whilst that explains the three verdict approach, it does not, in my mind at least, really justify it.

Banned

Evil Scotsman
    Quite ****ing right.

Scum companies like Uber shouldn't be allowed to disrupt the market by ignoring fundamental employment rights.

Evil Scotsman
    I get why Uber operate the way they do but in some UK cities (certainly Glasgow) Uber drivers need to be licensed the same way as any other taxi driver. I can't just jump in my car and decide to taxi people around for a couple of hours a night.

Banned
    Where I am from, there actually used to be a TukTuk mafia run by people with connections to the government officials. Those ****ers charged like three hundred rupees for a certain distance totally depending on their whims and fancies. Uber pretty much made them obsolete by offering rides of the same distance for for 1/4th of the cost. So, everyone in my place loves Uber and I never thought too much about how the drivers earned their living and found the article interesting.

Have they had a similar effect in cab rates the world over as well?

Evil Scotsman
    There's a certain grim irony in the latest group of people exploiting their heritage to retain EU citizenship - descendants of Jews who fled Nazi persecution are now exercising their right to German citizenship.

Not sure what's the best thread for this. But anyway:

Louis Smith: British Gymnastics bans four-time Olympic medallist over video - BBC Sport

What an absolute ****ing disgrace. A completely innocuous, light-hearted, *private* video where he does nothing wrong other than pick a religion which has special privilege (well most of them do to be fair, but particularly Islam). I find it absolutely disgusting that this is happening in the country I live in. If you're not familiar with the video in question it is easy enough to Google, unfortunately it originates from The Scum.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

Evil Scotsman
    He's been banned for being a constant ****wit and bringing the sport into disrepute.

He's been banned for being a constant ****wit and bringing the sport into disrepute.
    Nope he's been banned because he had private, meaningless banter about Islam.

Haha yeah, there's no way "banter" can possibly bring anything into disrepute. Just ask Sam Allardyce.

Thread Information