Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 499 of 1357 FirstFirst ... 399449489497498499500501509549599999 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,485 of 20351
Like Tree3931Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

They all said "Hallo," and felt awkward and unhappy suddenly, because it was a sort of good-bye they were saying, and they didn't want to think about it.
    This has really ****ing got my goat actually. Another example of stupid politicians making broad proclamations about something that have no idea about whatsoever. Gah.

Hypothetically, what are the consequences we can face for not adhering to EU law?
    GIMH

CW LEGEND. HEAD OF FEATURES 2009-11. BOTM CHAMPION 2011 & 15. LORD PROTECTOR 2019-20. SAVED CW FROM COVID-19 WIPEOUT. PLATINUM LOUNGE FOUNDING MEMBER. TORY **** 2005-13. DELUDED CENTRIST 2013-15. PART OF EVERY PROBLEM 2016-PRESENT. THE GOVERNMENT IS A CONCEPT BY WHICH WE MEASURE OUR PAIN.

SWA/UP THE ENGLISH

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Hypothetically, what are the consequences we can face for not adhering to EU law?
    They make you stay in the EU....
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

They all said "Hallo," and felt awkward and unhappy suddenly, because it was a sort of good-bye they were saying, and they didn't want to think about it.
    Generally speaking, non-compliance with EU law leads to some sort of enforcement proceedings being brought against you by the European Commission. Fines in the most serious circumstances. These generally aren't especially effective. Enforcement proceedings take forever to get to this stage, and even when they do it's generally cheaper for States in breach of their obligations to just pay the fine and keep breaking the law rather than change their ways.

More seriously in the immediate context, however, is that decisions to deport people made on the basis of legislation which conflicts with EU law would be susceptible to judicial review, and the UK courts would almost certainly find in favour of the applicants. The courts would in fact likely totally refuse to enforce any legislation that contradicts with the UK's obligations under EU law.

It doesn't really matter what you think of EU law, but the underlying fact of the matter is that it does exist, and so long as the UK is a member of the EU it is bound by EU law in almost its entirety. This proposed legislation would conflict massively with what is explicitly said on the rules regarding free movement of people. Rudd saying "we don't need to be out of the EU to make these changes" is total ****, because they totally do.

Global Moderator Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    EU criminals facing deportation and UK ban for up to 10 years

Makes a good copy, but I am fairly certain this is just totally untrue.
    And if it is true, then it maybe wasn't those dastardly Brusselaars who kept England from being tough on criminals after all, seeing as European law is suddenly flexible enough again to allow this.
    once you think you're out they pull you back in

I mean, before Harrisburg, it was highly improbable that what happened in Harrisburg could ever happen, but as soon as it did, the probability happened to go up to no less than 100 percent, so it was almost certain that it had happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    And if it is true, then it maybe wasn't those dastardly Brusselaars who kept England from being tough on criminals after all, seeing as European law is suddenly flexible enough again to allow this.
    Yeah indeed, it is a moronic comment on so many levels. Either she is a moron and doesn't understand what she is talking about, or it is a comment that has been designed to be swill for the mouth-breathing branch of Brexiteers.

Either way, this is the exact kind of thing that turns me off politics so so much. Just dreadful.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    May's "foreign doctors will be allowed to stay until we train more British ones" comment really ****s me off. Acting like she's doing them a ****ing favour by temporarily letting them continue to treat kids with leukemia.

This Tory conference has been brutal. Remember last year when they were talking about national living wages and rehabilitation-oriented prisons?
    Magrat Garlick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    May's "foreign doctors will be allowed to stay until we train more British ones" comment really ****s me off. Acting like she's doing them a ****ing favour by temporarily letting them continue to treat kids with leukemia.

This Tory conference has been brutal. Remember last year when they were talking about national living wages and rehabilitation-oriented prisons?
    Was always a possibility that this could happen when Cameron went. Throw in an opposition with 70s policies and teenage ideals and boom here we are

Disaster really. If an election happened this year, which seems maybe remotely possible, I'd have no idea which way to vote.

May hates freedom and lots of people
    Corbyn lol
    Lib Dems are just trying to plant themselves in Milliband territory

I think round here that would leave me UKIP and Green

Academic anyway. Tories will be in until 2030 IMO
    Prince EWS likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    May will probably abolish elections next

I'd struggle deeply with who to vote for in an election were one to happen tomorrow.

There's probably no way in hell I'd ever vote for Labour again. Couldn't with good conscience vote for the Tories as they are at present. Would probably have no trouble in voting for the Lib Dems at this stage, but would definitely get the "go ahead, throw your vote away" vibes.

NZTailender likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    May will probably abolish elections next
    Labour would probably find a way to blame the Jews.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Was always a possibility that this could happen when Cameron went. Throw in an opposition with 70s policies and teenage ideals and boom here we are

Disaster really. If an election happened this year, which seems maybe remotely possible, I'd have no idea which way to vote.

May hates freedom and lots of people
    Corbyn lol
    Lib Dems are just trying to plant themselves in Milliband territory

I think round here that would leave me UKIP and Green

Academic anyway. Tories will be in until 2030 IMO
    Has to be Lib Dems for me. I think their lean left is mostly rhetorical, but in any case I'd prefer a coalition involving them to the rule of either one party. Pretty amazing that they're not gaining in the polls given the circumstances though.

In substance I think Corbyn and Miliband are very similar, although the competence questions over Corbyn are much heavier.

Has to be Lib Dems for me. I think their lean left is mostly rhetorical, but in any case I'd prefer a coalition involving them to the rule of either one party. Pretty amazing that they're not gaining in the polls given the circumstances though.

Its no time for May to panic, or for the LD's to party hard, but

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/stat...562433?lang=en

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/stat...595904?lang=en
    Last edited by Niall; 04-10-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yep. The timing of the Nobel prize winners announced today, all three of whom are British-born but moved to the US in the 80s because of Thatcher-era budget squeezes, makes me giggle.

Cheers for the free expertise, UK. Signed, the rest of the world.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    There's no such thing as a good Tory. They're all evil, from anyone who votes for them up to their leader.

Thread Information