Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1093 of 1125 FirstFirst ... 9359399310431083109110921093109410951103 ... LastLast
Results 16,381 to 16,395 of 16868
Like Tree2934Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I mean I'm cynical enough to just resign myself to the fact that humanity is driving itself off a cliff and, like 99.9% of people, just continue to live as if it isn't happening. But I can't bring myself to moan about the people that are trying to stop it from happening. The fact that people are angry about being late for work is a neat illustration of the problem. It's like they've been told they're about to be hit by a truck and their reaction is to be angry at having their game of marbles interrupted.
    I don't actually mind the "late for work" bit so much as the fact they protested on a train. That's full on "the problems are bad, and so are the solutions" territory.
    NZTailender likes this.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I don't actually mind the "late for work" bit so much as the fact they protested on a train. That's full on "the problems are bad, and so are the solutions" territory.
    Yeah almost all of the movement are heavily opposed to protesting on public transport for this reason.

But it's just a dead cat anyway. People agreeing with your cause but not your methods is much better than the status quo of people not thinking about either at all. It's probably even better if it's bizarre and illogical. People talk about it more that way.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 21-10-2019 at 05:02 AM.
    RossTaylorsBox likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    It's about picking your battles though. I don't really disagree with you, but disrupting Joe Bloggs' low-emission to commute to his retail job in Canning Town whilst Tarquin De Lacey takes a 747 to New York and back 3 times a fortnight etc. is pretty backward.

I have no bones about protesters being disruptive, but at least try and fry the bigger fish.

Edit: Ah, only just seen the most recent posts, which kind of make mine redundant. But never mind.
    Last edited by sledger; 21-10-2019 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Bore off.
    If we aren't allowed to make points multiple times then I'll be sure to reply to all your future posts in here with this
    Furball likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

On the second referendum bandwagon, bu really can't wait until Bercow ****s off.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    The government's attempt to table a meaningful vote again today was just a deliberate attempt to pick a fight with him.
    Niall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The government's attempt to table a meaningful vote again today was just a deliberate attempt to pick a fight with him.
    Yeah that's a fair point.

When is this vote going to happen?

No idea, but it's surely a non starter. 3 days to scrutinise and pass a 100 page piece of legislation on the most significant constitutional issues ever is nonsense.
    Niall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    No idea, but it's surely a non starter. 3 days to scrutinise and pass a 100 page piece of legislation on the most significant constitutional issues ever is nonsense.
    So knowing this government ...tomorrow evening yeah?

Well whatever the arrangement it's a bit of a shambles. More Parliamentary time was given to the legislation that deals with which animals can appear in circuses.
    GIMH likes this.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah almost all of the movement are heavily opposed to protesting on public transport for this reason.

But it's just a dead cat anyway. People agreeing with your cause but not your methods is much better than the status quo of people not thinking about either at all. It's probably even better if it's bizarre and illogical. People talk about it more that way.
    I would've thought shutting down a highway would be a more logical protest, but then there's a chance some nutbag driver would just plow into the protesters, whereas a train driver isn't going to budge that train at all. People would then direct their anger towards the people in charge of the trains (i.e. government or private company) as well as the protesters, whereas on a highway for example all anger would be at the people in front of your car.
    Last edited by NZTailender; 21-10-2019 at 05:45 PM.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Spectator
    Shutting down low emissions trains by protest is the logical equivalent of HKers targetting anti-cpc grassroots organisations in protest. Sure it would generate headlines, but are they headlines you want?

On another note, where do people decide when disruptive protest is acceptable. I would prefer busses run a bit more often. Good cause, and not just from a personal perspective. But firebombing the bus offices to make my point clear is obviously a step too far. Where do you draw a line in the sand?

Cricket Spectator
    Shutting down low emissions trains by protest is the logical equivalent of HKers targetting anti-cpc grassroots organisations in protest. Sure it would generate headlines, but are they headlines you want?

On another note, where do people decide when disruptive protest is acceptable. I would prefer busses run a bit more often. Good cause, and not just from a personal perspective. But firebombing the bus offices to make my point clear is obviously a step too far. Where do you draw a line in the sand?

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    I would've thought shutting down a highway would be a more logical protest, but then there's a chance some nutbag driver would just plow into the protesters, whereas a train driver isn't going to budge that train at all. People would then direct their anger towards the people in charge of the trains (i.e. government or private company) as well as the protesters, whereas on a highway for example all anger would be at the people in front of your car.
    The most effective and strategic protest would be rolling up to the regional/national HQ of Shell, BP et al and burning it to the ground.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    So we seem to have established everyday convenience > important than the damage being willfully done to the planet so companies can keep making a buck, but < important than the chance some rando who moved to HK in the knowledge it'd been taken over by a repressive regime might be extradited by said repressive regime to mainland China. Cool.

Totally arse about, frankly. But cool.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Thread Information