Page 1200 of 1202 FirstFirst ... 20070011001150119011981199120012011202 LastLast
Results 17,986 to 18,000 of 18019
Like Tree1058Likes

Thread: The Australian politics thread

Which just goes to show that packing an extra million people into Sydney and driving-up house-hold debt hasn’t improved the overall evonomy one jot as we still face the same BS cuts as we’ve always faced except that the rat race is now more ratty and disgusting.

Hundreds of millions of dollars stripped from spending on NSW transport operations

Hundreds of million of dollars in spending on day-to-day operations will be stripped from the budget of NSW's lead transport agency this year and an immediate freeze put on hiring new staff, sparking fears services will suffer.

The transport agency is under pressure to cut its budget for existing operations amid record spending on multibillion-dollar projects such as a metro railway and light rail lines in Sydney's central business district and Parramatta.....

Hundreds of millions of dollars stripped from spending on NSW transport operations
    Last edited by watson; 05-10-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    1. Len Hutton 2. Jack Hobbs 3. Walter Hammond 4. Peter May 5. Ken Barrington 6. Denis Compton 7. Alan Knott 8. Hedley Verity 9. John Snow 10. Fred Trueman 11. Sydney Barnes

International Captain
    Yes but Libs/nats can cross the floor and labor's vote is binding,and it seems labor is taking the same approach to the SSM issue.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    All ALP parliamentary votes are binding on all MPs unless the Party decides its a conscience vote. The National Conference which sets policy for the parliamentary Party voted for SSM, and uimm that becomes binding in 2018, if not earlier.

The ALP has some pretty decent historical reasons for binding its parliamentarians to the Party position. It split twice - once in 1916 and again on the mid-50s. Party policy basically is if you cross the floor youíre expelled from the Party.

Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    Yes but Libs/nats can cross the floor and labor's vote is binding,and it seems labor is taking the same approach to the SSM issue.
    They can on this issue as itís a conscience vote. Backbenchers can on general votes, not Ministers.

International Captain
    Seems in England a SSm couple is suing the Church Of England for not marrying them,its all about the cash I guess.
    Thats the future I suppose.

Can someone explain to me the possible political utility of spending a big chunk of money on someone to fly a plane and drawing a giant NO in the sky? Who does this convince?

Although this is consistent with the delusion that the majority of the Australian population are actually secretly anti-SSM and have just been shamed into science by the ~media elite~
    GoodAreasShane likes this.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

I'm firmly of the view that any campaigning is negative for either sides.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    I'm firmly of the view that any campaigning is negative for either sides.
    My view is that campaigning is entirely superfluous because everyone made up their minds ages ago, but yeah.

I think the campaigning would tend to remind people who may have forgotten about it to fill out and post in their ballots, so I can see why they bother given it's voluntary. It's been really obnoxious and overall dire from both sides though.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Freddie is the greatest cricketer ever so the fact these comparisons are being made means three things:

1. Stokes is pretty good
    2. Jono is a ****
    3. Taxation is theft

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I think the campaigning would tend to remind people who may have forgotten about it to fill out and post in their ballots, so I can see why they bother given it's voluntary. It's been really obnoxious and overall dire from both sides though.
    I mean it depends on what you mean by "campaigning". The public stuff has been obnoxious from most, although the "yes" side has at least not resorted to out and out lies to make their case so far (and I personally do like seeing rainbow flags everywhere, but that's just an aesthetic thing). GOTV stuff though, that's more addressing what you're talking about, and seems to mostly be happening on the "yes" side as best as I can see. The no people really do seem convinced that the population is under some massive delusion/oppression and doesn't actually believe what all evidence says they believe and that all they need to do is just call "PC gawn mad!" a lot to win.

I just think it's such a non issue for most people that having it front of mind all is annoying. Yes there's a turnout issue but I think both sides would be better off if the other was the side doing the reminding if you catch my drift.
    Redbacks likes this.

I just think it's such a non issue for most people that having it front of mind all is annoying. Yes there's a turnout issue but I think both sides would be better off if the other was the side doing the reminding if you catch my drift.
    Hmm, I'm not sure it's that much of a non-issue. Turnout (together with the apparent enthusiasm gap) is high enough to indicate that a lot of people really want to see this done.

I think a lot of people are contemptuous of the fact that they're even having to be asked and that so much time is being spent on this. Not that it's not important for Australian society but realistically its implications are not hugely widespread

Tone is seriously through the looking glass without Credlin keeping him in check.

Since the electorate now views Politicians and Property Developers as intimate ‘bed buddies this sort of revelation can only have a corrosive effect on our democracy and political stability.

The credibility of politicians is always tendentious at the best of times; but once they are viewed with total contempt, and become the direct enemy of society then the entire system as we have known it is only a short step away from collapse.

As much as I would like the Gay Marriage referendum to succeed it really has become a distraction to the more compelling issues of our time and indicative that our politicians have simply run out of ideas and have more-or-less given up.

The Referendum really is a case of ‘fiddling while Rome burns’.

'North shore money drops, bikie link': Savas Guven charged in laundering ring

A Mosman property developer with links to an outlaw motorcycle gang was involved in*a $3.5 million north shore money laundering ring, involving 20 separate drops of more than $100,000, police will allege.

Savas Guven, also known as Savas Yucel, was arrested at 6.30am in Mosman on Tuesday not far from his Beauty Point home, as part of a large-scale drug supply investigation involving the NSW Crime Commission and the organised crime squad....

ring-20171010-gyy6mv.html]'North shore money drops, bikie link': Savas Guven charged in laundering ring

Sydneysiders in revolt over development as two-thirds declare the city is 'full'

More than two-thirds of people believe Sydney is full and property development should be pushed to the fringes, new polling shows, amid simmering tensions within communities and the Berejiklian government over the issue.

With plans for hundreds*of thousands of apartments in the city's "priority precincts" over the next 20 years,*the ReachTel poll conducted for Fairfax Media shows 66.4 per cent of NSW residents oppose more development in existing areas to accommodate a bigger population....

Sydneysiders in revolt over development as two-thirds declare the city is 'full'
    Last edited by watson; 10-10-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Thread Information