Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: NZ Champions Trophy 2000 Team & Champions Trophy 2009 Team

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,866

    NZ Champions Trophy 2000 Team & Champions Trophy 2009 Team

    Thoughtit might be interesting to compare the NZ final teams from the Champs Trophy in 2000 to the 2009 team.

    I'd say the 2000 team are stronger in the batting but the 2009 team are easily stronger in the bowling. Was amazed to see Styris at 9 and playing as a specialist bowler in those days.

    Elliott reminds me very much of Roger Twose and the way he went about his cricket.

    New Zealand 2000


    Spearman, Astle, Fleming, Twose, Cairns, McMillan, Harris, Parore, Styris, O'Connor, Allott

    New Zealand 2009

    McCullum, Redmond, Guptill, Taylor, Elliott, Vettori, Broom. Franklin, Mills, Butler, Bond

  2. #2
    International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    4,500
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Thoughtit might be interesting to compare the NZ final teams from the Champs Trophy in 2000 to the 2009 team.

    I'd say the 2000 team are stronger in the batting but the 2009 team are easily stronger in the bowling. Was amazed to see Styris at 9 and playing as a specialist bowler in those days.

    Elliott reminds me very much of Roger Twose and the way he went about his cricket.

    New Zealand 2000


    Spearman, Astle, Fleming, Twose, Cairns, McMillan, Harris, Parore, Styris, O'Connor, Allott

    New Zealand 2009

    McCullum, Redmond, Guptill, Taylor, Elliott, Vettori, Broom. Franklin, Mills, Butler, Bond
    Great thread idea.

    Let's see.

    Parore < McCullum
    Astle > Redmond
    Fleming = Guptill
    Twose = Taylor
    Cairns > Elliott
    McMIllan > Broom
    Harris > Franklin
    O'Connor < Mills
    Allott < Bond
    Spearman < Butler
    Styris < Vettori

    Hard to match the key players up. Would have thought that Vettori would have played in that 2000 Final team.

    Anyway, the 2009 team wins 5-4, with two ties.

    Composite team:

    McCullum (wk)
    Astle
    Fleming (his experience and captaincy skills just beat Guptill)
    Taylor (slightly faster scorer, and a better fielder than Twose)
    Cairns
    McMillan
    Harris
    Vettori
    Mills
    Butler
    Bond

    Bloody hell, 8 different bowling options. Gun.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan


    Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Fleming = Guptill
    I'm a big fan of Guptill, but DWTA. Flem > Guptill at this stage, for mine.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,866
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    I'm a big fan of Guptill, but DWTA. Flem > Guptill at this stage, for mine.
    Likewise for me too. Guptill is certainly a player for the future though. Expect him to be around for many years to come.

    Agree with the rest of your comparisons Days of Grace although I'd go for Twosey over Taylor. Mainly because he played for Wellington


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Would have thought that Vettori would have played in that 2000 Final team.
    He was out with a back injury, if I remember rightly.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,857
    Yeah, suffered in Zimbabwe a month or so earlier I think. He was off the scene for a long time after that.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CW XI Individual and Team Records (Champions Trophy)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 13-09-2008, 04:06 PM
  2. Sim a match
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 31-12-2006, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •