• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia v New Zealand - Final

Furball

Evil Scotsman
From the side that won those two matches, Vettori was the only player unavailable for the final through injury. Until he pulled up on the morning of the final, I thought you guys were just making pre-emptive excuses :p.

It is tough with Vettori down though.
Put Vettori in instead of Patel, and the opening 12 overs for Australia look a lot more dangerous than they turned out being. The Aussie batsmen would have had to take risks against one of Mills, Bond or Vettori, which is no easy task.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The difference between oz and NZ though is that the latter might be competitive at times in the CH series but fail to win finals in the biggest tournaments.
New Zealand have a limited player pool, which wasn't helped by the plethora of injuries they suffered throughout the tournament.

I reckon with Vettori, they'd have won the final.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Put Vettori in instead of Patel, and the opening 12 overs for Australia look a lot more dangerous than they turned out being. The Aussie batsmen would have had to take risks against one of Mills, Bond or Vettori, which is no easy task.
Could've added a few more runs too.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
New Zealand have a limited player pool, which wasn't helped by the plethora of injuries they suffered throughout the tournament.

I reckon with Vettori, they'd have won the final.
Not a hope in hell. The game wasn't a contest. Vettori wasn't going to make that much difference.

Flem274*

123/5
Not a hope in hell. The game wasn't a contest. Vettori wasn't going to make that much difference.
Tbf though, you'd expect a Durham 5th team to beat us, so I'll take your opinion with a bucket of salt.

Vettori would have made a difference because Patel isn't very good at international level, but I wouldn't categorically state we would have won. I'm just amazed how far we got with so many injuries and the wierdest squad selection in a while.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Wasn't a contest? Bond and Mills had the measure of the top four Australian batsmen, as is cricket though they couldn't quite nip them out. Vettori would have been the perfect bowler to come on and work in partnership with Bond and Mills. One more wicket and it would have been a close 50/50 proposition before Flakey Franklin came on.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't a contest? Bond and Mills had the measure of the top four Australian batsmen, as is cricket though they couldn't quite nip them out. Vettori would have been the perfect bowler to come on and work in partnership with Bond and Mills. One more wicket and it would have been a close 50/50 proposition before Flakey Franklin came on.
Do we get to add Clarke and Bracken, too?

We had just as many quality ODI players out with injury as NZ.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Australia being hit with injury isn't quite the same as New Zealand, our first XI has some top class players. Our second XI? Not so much.
Australia could comfortably field a second ODI XI that would probably beat most other nations. Reckon the only player you'd miss much is Ponting.

Howsie

International Captain
Do we get to add Clarke and Bracken, too?

We had just as many quality ODI players out with injury as NZ.
Would of loved to have seen Bracken play instead of Siddle/Johnson/Lee, Bracken's poo like bad at the moment.

Clarke, well he would of been the perfect player to come in with that slow start.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea and if England had a brain when they batted they might have nearly maybe won too.

New Zealand were never close to having enough to bowl Australia out, which was what was needed to defend 200 or 200 plus the extra few runs Vettori *may* have managed.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Just watching my recording of the final again. Still an awesome innings by Watto, despite knowing how it's all going to end!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf though, you'd expect a Durham 5th team to beat us, so I'll take your opinion with a bucket of salt.

Vettori would have made a difference because Patel isn't very good at international level, but I wouldn't categorically state we would have won. I'm just amazed how far we got with so many injuries and the wierdest squad selection in a while.
You guys are seriously overplaying the injuries to New Zealand.

Prior to the final, the only big player missing was Ryder, who only went down after playing an awesome, crucial innings. Oram was playing like utter crap anyway, personally I don't think Franklin's any worse of a player on current form, although there seems to be an awful lot of Jimmy-hate lately. Tuffey's an unfortunate loss, but Butler bowled a decisive spell (some might even say a match-winning spell) in the semi anyway, so you can't overly complain.

The only omission that really hurt the team prior to the final was Ryder, who you've recently had an excellent ODI run without. Quit the whining :p. It's really not that amazing that you got to the final.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Oram was playing like utter crap anyway, personally I don't think Franklin's any worse of a player on current form, although there seems to be an awful lot of Jimmy-hate lately.
Oram's bowling is alot more useful than Franklin's in ODIs.
He concedes little and builds pressure from his end.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which top eight side are you supporting currently? Here, have Hopkins, Redmond and Broom in your middle order. :p
Haha, Hopkins didn't even play, Broom was there before the injuries and Redmond was the replacement for the one player I pinpointed as a big loss. There's a difference between "it's amazing how we got so far given all the injuries" and, "it's amazing how we got so far given how dire our batsmen are" :p