• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia v New Zealand - Final

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
They all looked the same size. Watson, Johnson, Siddle looked a bit squashed in!
I guess they are trying to copy the green jacket from the Masters.

I guess it makes a change from getting a medal. But the colour was kind of ghastly. Maybe a pastel blue would have been better.

Redbacks

International Captain
Watt-o-gun! :kicking:

(Attempting to resist the urge to mention M Waugh criticised C White's innings yet wouldn't ever say a bad word about Pup)

Flem274*

123/5
Well done Australia, they were the best team out there today.

Proudo f our lads but the bowling attack, generally our strength, was pretty depleted with the loss of Vettori, Tuffey and Oram. Ah well, they still bowled bloody well and if the batsmen had gotten us a good target to defend it could have been different, though with Redmond, Broom and co. in the batting it was always going to fall to the senior-ish players (the only senior player is McCullum really) and they didn't have their day today.

Felt sorry for McCullum being thrust into the role of most important player and captaincy in the final.

Flem274*

123/5
I wonder if Hopes would get picked for NZ if he we was a kiwi. He is a busy cricketer. But isn't as good as the rest of the Aussie team. He would compete with Franklin and Oram for the number 7 spot in the line up.
Interesting question. I think Oram is a better player and after the domestic season Franklin had he'd probably be ahead too. Judging by the make up of the squad he'd have been in ahead of Diamanti.

Poor Diamanti. Gets all the crap from us for being crap and can't even get a chance to prove us wrong.

DingDong

State Captain
it's a shame vettori was injured. If vettori and patel both played here I see them cutting through this aussie middle order with ease.

GGG

State Captain
Well done Australia, they were the best team out there today.

Proudo f our lads but the bowling attack, generally our strength, was pretty depleted with the loss of Vettori, Tuffey and Oram. Ah well, they still bowled bloody well and if the batsmen had gotten us a good target to defend it could have been different, though with Redmond, Broom and co. in the batting it was always going to fall to the senior-ish players (the only senior player is McCullum really) and they didn't have their day today.

Felt sorry for McCullum being thrust into the role of most important player and captaincy in the final.
The guy wants to be captain one day, dont think he has what it takes TBH.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
it's a shame vettori was injured. If vettori and patel both played here I see them cutting through this aussie middle order with ease.
I am taking your bait in this instance and will respond...

Patel was expensive today. JS Patel 6.2 0 44 0 6.94

Even if you take away the 2 sixes at the end - he would have been average at 5 an over.

He bowled too short and wide. Normally he does averagely in ODIs but today he was slightly below average when we needed him to bowl outstandingly. Patel was the opposite of a canny bowler today. Maybe in 5 years from now when Patel is more experienced and smarter he can be relied upon to "cut through a middle order with ease".

At least he got a game though in the tournament unlike the Diamond.

DingDong

State Captain
He bowled well ok.
McCullum doesn't know how to use an offspinner. They need to be handled with care. And the fields he set for him were abysmal. I think if vettori had been there patel would have bowled much much better.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Interesting question. I think Oram is a better player and after the domestic season Franklin had he'd probably be ahead too. Judging by the make up of the squad he'd have been in ahead of Diamanti.

Poor Diamanti. Gets all the crap from us for being crap and can't even get a chance to prove us wrong.
James Hopes consistently has strong domestic seasons for QLD every single year, he's easily a better batsman then Franklin and is more consistent a bowler although Franklin's bowling at his best is better.

I think Hopes would make the NZ side, most likely as an opener.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Epic Performance from Watson. And Gun Captaincy by Ponting. Well done to the Aussie team and fans. Congratulations !!

Howsie

International Captain
:laugh: Just watched the highlights, I can see why McCullum keeps his place in the team :ph34r:

He can't bat and his keeping has gone to the dogs, what a superstar we have on our hands 8-) 160 ODI's and not one century (a 100 against a 2ndXI Ireland team played in front of 50 people doesn't count). I wonder how many games it will take him to bring up the three figures.

Oh and by just watching James Franklin this tournament he better not be in the test team. He's bowling 125K pies and he isn't moving his feet at all, he won't do anything in the test team.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Decent effort from the Kiwis, but were always 50 runs short of a competitive total.

Awesome effort form Watto though, and when it counted most. One of the few times I wish fiery was no longer banned :(
Haha, he posts on Cricsim. Funnily enough he made a ridiculous thread laughing at Watson after those two ducks. Has been thoroughly laughed at since.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watto now averaging over 40 with the bat and under 30 with the ball in ODIs. WAFG.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see us get up, when I went to bed last night I was reasonably confident we'd win given the position NZ were in. The way we started with the bat would have made me a bit nervous though.

Australia have to ask themselves a serious question though: Was it worth winning when the end result was being photographed in those jackets?