• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Second Semi-Final: New Zealand vs. Pakistan

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
yea we need Elliott and Redmond has to play instead of Hopkins.

If this line-up doesnt play I seriously doubt our chances in this one:

McCullum
Guptill
Broom
Taylor
Elliott
Redmond
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Butler
Bond

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I assume Redmond would open if he played. Certainly in the top 3.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
I think they will stick with Baz and Guppy opening. Also, I think Broom is better suited to building an innings from number 3. Redmond should bat 5 or 6 IMO

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pakistan has NZ's number just as Aus has Pak's. But for some reasion I have a feeling NZ might pull it off. Pak's batting could very well collapse like a house of cards on this pitch.

Pak XI should be...

Kamran Akmal
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Shahid Afridi
Umar Akmal
Rana Naved
Saaed Ajmal
Mohammad Aamer
Mohammad Asif
Umar Gul

Could possibly drop a bowler for another batsmen but I don't think an Imran Nazir would do them any good in any case.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
yea we need Elliott and Redmond has to play instead of Hopkins.

If this line-up doesnt play I seriously doubt our chances in this one:

McCullum
Guptill
Broom
Taylor
Elliott
Redmond
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Butler
Bond
Don't like the fact that all the top 6 are right handers, but I guess there's nothing we can do about that.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan has NZ's number just as Aus has Pak's. But for some reasion I have a feeling NZ might pull it off. Pak's batting could very well collapse like a house of cards on this pitch.
New Zealand's batting could just as easily do the same. A couple of weak links in the top order (Redmond, Broom) who are yet to prove themselves and the rest can be fairly inconsistent too, though at least number 7-down look decent now that Franklin's there. Bowling is the strength for both sides so it may come down to whose batting collapses less :happy:.

Edit: Especially at Jo'burg if the pitch is anything like the last one.

pup11

International Coach

Pak XI should be...

Kamran Akmal
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Shahid Afridi
Umar Akmal
Rana Naved
Saaed Ajmal
Mohammad Aamer
Mohammad Asif
Umar Gul

Could possibly drop a bowler for another batsmen but I don't think an Imran Nazir would do them any good in any case.
No way Pakistan should experiment with the side for a crucial tie, I think its very important they play Asif at the Wanderers, so I would rather drop Gul and play Asif ahead of him, Gul has hardly looked a patch of himself in this tournament, and Asif is more likely to perform at the Wanderers.

Also given the fact that Wanderers pitch has proved to be bowler friendly, it would make sense to have an extra batsman, so Misbah should be there in the middle order as well.

Polo23

International Debutant
I don't understand why Redmond was called in...he is an opener, and we already have a good opening combination (even after Ryder's injury) with McCullum and Guptill. Styris was the obvious choice to replace Ryder. I'd have a ****load more confidence in Styris than Redmond.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand why Redmond was called in...he is an opener, and we already have a good opening combination (even after Ryder's injury) with McCullum and Guptill. Styris was the obvious choice to replace Ryder. I'd have a ****load more confidence in Styris than Redmond.
From what others were saying the fact that it's the off-season but Redmond was playing cricket in Australia (preparing for 2020 Champion Tournament thing) had something to do with it. Whereas Styris may not have been playing much at all.

In that case it does make some sort of sense, particularly when he was meant to fly in and then immediately play against England. Though there must have been other guys considered for that spot too.

Redmond never really impressed me in his test outings and I don't understand the 'bring back Redmond' sentiment that seems to be around at the moment, which is based on a) slogging a few runs against some minnow at the 2020 world cup and b) Scoring 60 something and then giving away his wicket to an outrageous shot in his final test against Australia in Adelaide. Seems like limited over batting might be more of his thing than tests, but then there's that pesky fact that his List A average for Otago is low (while he's done well in domestic T20s, there's no denying that).

Willing to give him a go and see if he does well - really not sure who I would have chosen instead.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am rooting for NZ but I am putting $10 at the TAB on Pakistan due to the injury to Ryder.

Would prefer Styris in the team over Redmond Broom and Elliott for that matter.

For us to win Bond has to bowl like a god and get a 5fer.

_Ed_

Not necessarily. There's always a chance of Duckworth and Lewis having a role to play.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Pakistan XI should be something like this, i'm assuming that the pitch is going to be a Bouncy & with grass on it & there'll be moisture in it........

1. IMRAN NAZIR
2. KAMRAN AKMAL
3. YOUNIS KHAN
4. SHOAIB MALIK
5. MUHAMMAD YOUSAF
6. UMER AKMAL
7. RANA NAVEED
8. UMER GUL
9. MUHAMMAD AMIR
10. MUHAMMAD ASIF
11. SHAHID AFRIDI/ SAEED AJMAL
only 1 spinner 'll be enough here
but both are equal in abilities for me, Saeed Ajmal being a better bowler & Afridi has batting & fielding abilities
so i'm picking AFRIDI, & it'll mean we'll bat till number 8
on a pitch which has bounce & swing & seam movement in it, 4 pacers 'll be enough, cuz no team 'll be able to play more than 40 overs
but it's up to Younis Khan to make a decision

Zinzan

Pakistan to beat NZ reasonably comfortably IMO. NZ have too many players below International standard hiding in the final XI now they've had all the injuries.

As I said in the other thread, if NZ had this side, I'd give them a real chance against Pakistan

McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Oram/Elliott
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
Bond

Zinzan

Pakistan XI should be something like this, i'm assuming that the pitch is going to be a Bouncy & with grass on it & there'll be moisture in it........

1. IMRAN NAZIR
2. KAMRAN AKMAL
3. YOUNIS KHAN
4. SHOAIB MALIK
5. MUHAMMAD YOUSAF
6. UMER AKMAL
7. RANA NAVEED
8. UMER GUL
9. MUHAMMAD AMIR
10. MUHAMMAD ASIF
11. SHAHID AFRIDI/ SAEED AJMAL
only 1 spinner 'll be enough here
but both are equal in abilities for me, Saeed Ajmal being a better bowler & Afridi has batting & fielding abilities
so i'm picking AFRIDI, & it'll mean we'll bat till number 8
on a pitch which has bounce & swing & seam movement in it, 4 pacers 'll be enough, cuz no team 'll be able to play more than 40 overs
but it's up to Younis Khan to make a decision
Must say, am really looking forward to watching this young lad Amir bowl, was disappointed he wasn't playing against Oz last night. Do you know if that was due to injury or was he just rested?

Zinzan

Still have 8 of those players? Wouldn't say Butler is the worst either.
Lol, you're making me repeat myself .....there's a clear difference between a NZ top XI & a top 8 plus 3 of the leftovers, especially in NZ's case when we don't have the depth of some other teams.