• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Second Semi-Final: New Zealand vs. Pakistan

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Because unlike Australia we don't know how to pick a cricket team.
If you take it from a selectors point of view, Styris hasn't done anything of note either domestically or internationally since those last two ODIs in England last year.
Injury has played some part in this, but if he was to be selected, it would be only because of his fair record and experience. He didn't show any form post injury.

In an ideal world, the selectors would have tried out someone more suited to no. 6 in ODIs when Styris was injured rather than assuming Broom's FC record batting in the top 4 would translate to ODI performances @ 6.

trapol

U19 12th Man
Dirky boy

Styris hasnt shown any form? He has played a whole 4 ODIs since going back to back MoM and winning NZ those last two ODIs over here in the UK. The last of those 4 ODIs NZ beat India easily and he wasnt required to bat or bowl. So its really only 3.

He has a career average of 50 for Auckland in List A cricket ( thats the last 5 years) so again how do they judge this. He is a proven player for NZ and with no experience in our top order his non selection has shown our achilles heel.

I personally believe NZ need him around for 12 more months (2011 WC if poss) just to help guide the Taylors/Ryders/Guptills/Brooms/Elliotts and the like until they themselves have played between 50-100 games each

As ive stated before his treatment has been disgraceful (only Fleming, Astle and Crowe have more ODI MoMs than Styris) and with other players (Oram) continually being picked while doing nothing it staggers me how they have discarded him so quickly...maybe he slept with Turners wife! lol

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Aus vs NZ final would be epic.
true..

I have kept telling this and I will tell again

NZ won the Champions Trophy in Oct 2000 & They will win again now in Oct 2009

It will be a epic final. Australia vs NZ ....

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Dirky boy

Styris hasnt shown any form? He has played a whole 4 ODIs since going back to back MoM and winning NZ those last two ODIs over here in the UK. The last of those 4 ODIs NZ beat India easily and he wasnt required to bat or bowl. So its really only 3.

He has a career average of 50 for Auckland in List A cricket ( thats the last 5 years) so again how do they judge this. He is a proven player for NZ and with no experience in our top order his non selection has shown our achilles heel.
That's basically what I said :laugh:
It wasn't an opinion, it was just looking from a selectors perspective.

And it was a whole 5 ODIs by the way :happy:

GGG

State Captain
Pakistan paceman Umar Gul in new cheat probe | Mail Online

Pakistan were at the centre of another ball-tampering row after it emerged New Zealand, their opponents in today's Champions Trophy semi-final, will be monitoring their fast bowler Umar Gul following renewed whispers of sharp practice.

The Kiwis were convinced Gul had lifted the seam during a searing match-winning spell of five wickets for six runs that bowled Pakistan to victory in the World Twenty20 semis at the Brit Oval in June.

The private grumbles were never proven, but Sportsmail understands the Pakistanis were berated by match officials earlier this week after allegedly fiddling with the ball during their last-gasp loss to Australia.

A source said: 'It's very frustrating. The Pakistanis were caught messing with the ball against Australia but everyone was too scared too do anything about it. The match referee and umpires said they will be watching them like hawks in the semi, but unless an official goes public, the Pakistanis won't give a damn.'

Now New Zealand, who have played Pakistan in six one-day semi-finals and lost five of them, are considering altering their videoanalysis programme to track the path of the ball in case it begins to reverse-swing as violently as it did during the World Twenty20.

I hope there's no incident in this semifinal.

There is a reason that paper is called the daily fail.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Pakistan wins the toss & BAT first
Imran Nazir & Amir are back, i guess in for misbah & Asif

99*

International Debutant
Has New Zealand has our national anthem sung correctly yet? I mean fair enough getting some of the Maori version wrong but the English version is easy tstl.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ripper of a wicket & a lightning outfield, big chance for 300+ here for the Pakistani's

Howsie

International Captain
Are any of you surprised though, Butler for the most part has been average since he cam back.