• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Second Semi-Final: New Zealand vs. Pakistan

Athlai

Not Terrible
Lol, you're making me repeat myself .....there's a clear difference between a NZ top XI & a top 8 plus 3 of the leftovers, especially in NZ's case when we don't have the depth of some other teams.
Yeah but 8 of XI plus a decent ODI replacement in Butler means we only have 2 real hangers on, Broom (and probably Redmond). And considering how long Pakistan's tail is this may not be a major issue.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Must say, am really looking forward to watching this young lad Amir bowl, was disappointed he wasn't playing against Oz last night. Do you know if that was due to injury or was he just rested?
rested so they could try Asif.

Howsie

International Captain
From what others were saying the fact that it's the off-season but Redmond was playing cricket in Australia (preparing for 2020 Champion Tournament thing) had something to do with it. Whereas Styris may not have been playing much at all.

In that case it does make some sort of sense, particularly when he was meant to fly in and then immediately play against England. Though there must have been other guys considered for that spot too.

Redmond never really impressed me in his test outings and I don't understand the 'bring back Redmond' sentiment that seems to be around at the moment, which is based on a) slogging a few runs against some minnow at the 2020 world cup and b) Scoring 60 something and then giving away his wicket to an outrageous shot in his final test against Australia in Adelaide. Seems like limited over batting might be more of his thing than tests, but then there's that pesky fact that his List A average for Otago is low (while he's done well in domestic T20s, there's no denying that).

Willing to give him a go and see if he does well - really not sure who I would have chosen instead.
Because he's just that good :)

pup11

International Coach
Haven't been following New Zealand cricket too closely, but if Scott Styris isn't injured, then why on earth is he not in the CT squad, New Zealand clearly need someone in the middle order capable of holding the innings together, and clearly it won't have hurt to have someone like Styris in there.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
With all due respect to NZ team but Pakistan have owned them way too much and I do not see the trend changing this time around. NZ batting looks really weak and I do not know how they will handle the Pakistani attack of Aamer, Asif, Gul, Afridi, Ajmal and Naved. This attack looks ridiculously strong.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Pakistan has NZ's number just as Aus has Pak's. But for some reasion I have a feeling NZ might pull it off. Pak's batting could very well collapse like a house of cards on this pitch.

Pak XI should be...

Kamran Akmal
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Shahid Afridi
Umar Akmal
Rana Naved
Saaed Ajmal
Mohammad Aamer
Mohammad Asif
Umar Gul

Could possibly drop a bowler for another batsmen but I don't think an Imran Nazir would do them any good in any case.
That is certainly a good side considering that the pitch we get to bowl on is actually bowler friendly...i am not sure which pitch they will be playing on.....

If its a bowling pitch i think Asif must play.

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
No way Pakistan should experiment with the side for a crucial tie, I think its very important they play Asif at the Wanderers, so I would rather drop Gul and play Asif ahead of him, Gul has hardly looked a patch of himself in this tournament, and Asif is more likely to perform at the Wanderers.

Also given the fact that Wanderers pitch has proved to be bowler friendly, it would make sense to have an extra batsman, so Misbah should be there in the middle order as well.
I had Asif in my line up.

Dropping Gul for Misbah is not a bad idea, though.

Hasn't performed at all this tournament.

Last edited:

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
if pitch has bounce & seam movement, then Xl i mentioned will be a good one i think
by the way in these conditions it's going to be a 50-50 to both teams

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't believe it.......sanity has prevailed and pig-man Styris will be the replacement if Elliott's ruled out, I'm suddenly 10% less pessimistic on our chances

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Gonna see the game on Sky, really curious about this one. NZ played an awesome tournament untill now. Even McCullum prove his rr went up.

Hope they make it to the finals

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't believe it.......sanity has prevailed and pig-man Styris will be the replacement if Elliott's ruled out, I'm suddenly 10% less pessimistic on our chances
Thanks zinzan for letting us know that - I looked up the link and here it is

Cricket: Styris flown in to join Black Caps - Sport - NZ Herald News

Good chance of Elliot playing though apparently. There goes Diamanti's chance to shine.

I personally think we should play Styris ahead of Broom - maybe there will be a discussion to this effect.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks zinzan for letting us know that - I looked up the link and here it is

Cricket: Styris flown in to join Black Caps - Sport - NZ Herald News

Good chance of Elliot playing though apparently. There goes Diamanti's chance to shine.

I personally think we should play Styris ahead of Broom - maybe there will be a discussion to this effect.
We can't. Unless a player has been injured, you have to stick with the original squad that was selected to tour. And we've already officially replaced Oram, Ryder and Tuffee (Franklin, Redmond and O'Brien), so Styris will only be available for selection if Elliot, or someone else, goes out.

Athlai

Not Terrible
We can't. Unless a player has been injured, you have to stick with the original squad that was selected to tour. And we've already officially replaced Oram, Ryder and Tuffee (Franklin, Redmond and O'Brien), so Styris will only be available for selection if Elliot, or someone else, goes out.
Maybe we got lucky and Hopkins came down with a bad case of broken leg.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Surely they could fake an injury to Hopkins or Broom, or one of them could volunteer to have their finger broken.

McCullum
Redmond
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Elliott
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Butler
Bond

Polo23

International Debutant
Surely they could fake an injury to Hopkins or Broom, or one of them could volunteer to have their finger broken.

McCullum
Redmond
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Elliott
Franklin
Vettori
Mills
Butler
Bond
Why would we want that? Broom is god.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Why would we want that? Broom is god.
He did make 17 in the last game which in the context of the game was helpful. But I saw the highlights of his dismissal. Trying to late cut a ball that was way to close to his off stump and got caught behind. No need for the shot as run rate was not an issue - wickets were an issue.

In the Compaq cup Yuvraj dismissed him caught at short midwicket trying to force the ball off the back foot on to the on side. All he had to do was punch the ball down the ground for a single but he thought that if the placed the ball close to the mid wicket fielder and could get it past him he would get two. Instead he picked him out. What frustrated me is that there was no one else saving the single on the leg side and he picked the guy out.

These dismissals are consistent with someone who is out of form. When things are going well your judgement is better and you make better decisions.
Against Yuvraj he either should have pulled the ball for 4 or settled for a single instead he played an inbetween shot.
If we had a better coach the coach would sit down with him and talk him through his mistakes.

If he gets selected in the next game he needs to come good for his immediate future with the blackcaps. I am ready to get on his bandwagon if he comes good. But am losing patience with him.

Xuhaib

International Coach
With all due respect to NZ team but Pakistan have owned them way too much and I do not see the trend changing this time around. NZ batting looks really weak and I do not know how they will handle the Pakistani attack of Aamer, Asif, Gul, Afridi, Ajmal and Naved. This attack looks ridiculously strong.
Not all of them can play together.