Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** First Semi-Final: Australia vs. England

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar

***Official*** First Semi-Final: Australia vs. England

England's best chance here is for Jimmy to rip out an opener and Ponting early doors.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

England need to drop big stupid Wright & pick back Bopara to bat @ 6.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Nah, Bopara should be dropped with Strauss and Davies opening and Denly slotting in @ 3.

There are a few things that I'm worried about from an Aussie POV, the batting is looking overly dependent on Ponting and Huss, and if they have an off-day then the going could get pretty tough for us, so the likes of Watto, Ferguson and White need to step-up, if we're to do well at business end of the tournament.

I'm particularly disappointed with White, he has always been seen as this natural leader and very reliable batsman at the domestic level, but in tough situations he has mostly been found wanting (and I'm not just talking about his dismissal yesterday), so that is the sort of the thing he needs to improve on, if he wants raise his stocks as a player.

Anyways, has a replacement for Clarke yet been sent over to South Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post

Anyways, has a replacement for Clarke yet been sent over to South Africa?
    David Hussey to replace Clarke

Not particularly surprising. Would like to see Hussey come in for Hopes, though I doubt that will happen.
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on Tim Paine's batting?

I haven't had the opportunity to watch any of this series, nor the last part of the one day series where he scored his century.

I think as Cameeel said, I wouldn't mind Huss in for Hopes if we are going to continue with Siddle or another pace bowler. Huss can bowl a few overs of spin and I think it's a bit of crime whenever Hauritz is bowling tidy but not getting through his 10.

Pretty confident that we beat England, I'm looking to Brett Lee to do all the damage with the ball.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    If I was a betting man which I am - I would put $20 on Aussie. Brett Lee will be too much.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Think Australia will be too much for England in this match, given recent history.

If so, I quite like that the winner of the other semi would have to beat Australia (who are still world champions) in the final to win the tournament. Will be good to see if anyone can manage that in a big tournament, or whether Australia have just been pretending to be mediocre at ODIs over the last 12 months. Suspect Ponting will score a hundred when it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post

I haven't had the opportunity to watch any of this series, nor the last part of the one day series where he scored his century.

I think as Cameeel said, I wouldn't mind Huss in for Hopes if we are going to continue with Siddle or another pace bowler. Huss can bowl a few overs of spin and I think it's a bit of crime whenever Hauritz is bowling tidy but not getting through his 10.

Pretty confident that we beat England, I'm looking to Brett Lee to do all the damage with the ball.
    Paine i'd say has improved every game with the bat, not sure if opening is his best position, but he has adapted to it well enough. Overall a solid back-up to Haddin fpr the near future.

Would persist with Hopes for the semi, but maybe presuming AUS win & face PAK in the final, D Hussey can replace him given PAK bowling strenght.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Even though Bopara is already in the team and batting 6?

So go with 10 men?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Even though Bopara is already in the team and batting 6?

So go with 10 men?
    Bopara only played because Prior was injured. So now that Prior will be back Bopara should be retained & Wright dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post

Would much rather see Voges play if we're going to go down the route of a batsman at 7. And given he was already in the squad, I think it's more likely.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Would much rather see Voges play if we're going to go down the route of a batsman at 7. And given he was already in the squad, I think it's more likely.
    Ah I figured Voges may have pulled out of the tournament for his honeymoon or something.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Australia's bowling looks very strong, just because of strength in depth, but I reckon if we can get them in first and restrict them then we have a decent chance.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Wright offers far more than Bopara at this point IMO. Bopara has turned into a self-parody of late.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information