Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** First Semi-Final: Australia vs. England

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Would you stake any money on Bopara scoring more than Wright? I wouldn't.

If we need quick runs, Wright is waaaaaay better than Bopara.

I rate Wright's bowling just about better than Bopara's.

Wright is better in the field.

Luke Wright is basically our luxury player. Bopara needs to go back to county cricket. I think he may have an international future, but his summer has been a disaster.
    Although I am a Bopara fan, I would have difficulty in making a convincing case for him against Wright. I agree that batting at number 7 with the ability to clear the boundary, Wright probably edges it. There are batsman that can build an innings in Morgan, Shah, and Collingwood, who at one time or another have all performed very well in this tournament so far. If Bopara is to play in the one-day side, I see him as more a number 4 or 5. I like the idea of power hitters in around number 7, although I am yet to be convinced that Wright carries the ability to savage a decent bowling attack.

I do think Luke Wright has improved as a bowler, but again am not sold on the fact he carries enough threat to be a valid wicket-taking option, or is disciplined enough to bowl an economical spell against a top side.

Whoever they go with, I hope we remain positive and attack the weaker options in Australia's attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Wright's a good number seven. If you want someone who can play the death-slogging role and be all hit and no miss you're asking for waaay too much. Average 20, S/R 103 is round about what you want. He's your man.

Dunno about his bowling though.
    But how would this make him a "good number 7" death slogger?. He may be capable of hitting it, but its wayyyy to hit & miss to be consistent option in that role.

Once Flintoff is out, ENG are better of picking 6 batsmen & a keeper in the top 7. Wright really shouldn't be near the ODI team.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    But how would this make him a "good number 7" death slogger?. He may be capable of hitting it, but its wayyyy to hit & miss to be consistent option in that role.

Once Flintoff is out, ENG are better of picking 6 batsmen & a keeper in the top 7. Wright really shouldn't be near the ODI team.
    I agree in that we don't have an actual all-rounder capable of offering the same balance to the side that Freddie does. We have bowlers who are capable of giving it a whack, but are probably more suited to the number 8 position, I'm talking about the likes of Bresnan, Mascarenhas, Broad (a bit more cltured that a whacker mind), and a man I would have loved to have seen England give a go to is Graham Napier.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post

Who should bat at 7?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Would you stake any money on Bopara scoring more than Wright? I wouldn't.
    I dont have confidence in either scoring runs vs AUS 2moro. But Bopara remains the better batsman regardless & playing him gives the top 7 more solidity 2moro.

If we need quick runs, Wright is waaaaaay better than Bopara.
    The quick Wright would indeed score is irrelevant TBH, since its not a sure - solid - consistent presence @ 7 like a Flintoff, Klusener or Cairns.

We just got accept again without Flintoff down the order & even Mascarenhas we dont have a quality finisher, thus we need to take the safe option of 6 pure batsmen & Prior.

I rate Wright's bowling just about better than Bopara's.

Wright is better in the field.

Luke Wright is basically our luxury player. Bopara needs to go back to county cricket. I think he may have an international future, but his summer has been a disaster.
    Wright aint an luxury, he more an achillies heel. Since he doesn't have the quality to be considered a ODI quality # 7. He shouldn't be near the ODI team.

Wright bowling may be better than Bopara yea, but at the end of the day without Flintoff - the bowling likethe batting loses the luxury of picking 5-bowlers. So need to pick Wright to try to patch it up. Again we just got to depend on Anderson/Sids/Broad/Swann/Colliy to do the job.

Who should bat at 7?
    In general once Flintoff is out - Prior.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    facepalm

facepalm
    Well if the top 6 remains for the near future (without Flintoff) remains:

Strauss
    Denly
    KP
    Shah
    Colly
    Morgan

Prior as i've argued before, if he allowed to bat down the order like he does in tests can do fair job in that role.

But if one of Kieswetter/Davies (Kieswetter preferably) is chosen to open in a Flintoff less ODI side. Maybe Patel can bat @ 7 in a XI of:

Strauss
    Kieswetter/Davies
    KP
    Colly
    Shah
    Morgan
    Patel

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    I don't know whether you know this, but Paine opens in OD cricket for Tasmania, so he is not a makeshift opener like Haddin, and given the fact he struggles to find gaps even with the field up in the first 15 overs, it would disastrous to push him into the middle order, because he would struggle even more to maintain a decent strike-rate, so whenever he plays, he just has to open.
    I'm pretty sure Paine was only really a makeshift opener for Tasmania and batted most of the season at 6 or 7 last year (could be my memory failing me, though). From what I saw of him, he was more than OK down the order.

Opening for Australia is more of a case of not being able to fit him anywhere else as opposed to him needing to open due to his own style.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Broad in doubt 'ere.

What will England do without their bowler who bowls crap yet somehow manages to luck into bags of wickets?
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

Wouldn't mind seeing Voges in for Hopes tonight, even though it's highly unlikely to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Broad in doubt 'ere.

What will England do without their bowler who bowls crap yet somehow manages to luck into bags of wickets?
    England's answer to Mitchell Johnson.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    England's answer to Mitchell Johnson.
    Don't speak about the best cricketer in the world like that.

Is this a D/Ner?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Don't speak about the best cricketer in the world like that.
    At least he hasn't strained his arse like Broad.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I had a dream last night that Luke Wright scored a double ton in this match, I'm just saying
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information