Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 47.14%
  • No

34 48.57%
  • andyc is my favourite CW moderator

3 4.29%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

This was brushed over in the match thread, but since then Strauss has come out and defended his decision to deny Smith a runner, saying, "you don't get a runner for cramps, full stop." ("You shouldn't get a runner for cramps, full stop" - Strauss | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy, 2009 | Cricinfo.com)

Smith claims that plenty of batsmen have had runners when suffering from cramps in the past and that inconsistency is the main problem here. Some of also pointed that Owais Shah was off the field at the time, although as I understand it the runner and substitute fielder rulings are different from each other.

Any thoughts?
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Strauss tried moving onto the moral highground with the Mathews run-out, but obviously didn't like the view.

Nah, seriously, I dunno. I think runners are, at best, a necessary evil and for issues of fatigue (which cramping could be said to fall under) there's maybe a case to deny the batsman one as he's not actually injured. Seems a bit mean-spirited tho.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Should be allowed a runner if you cramp up, spirit of the game etc.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

No and wouldn't be totally against getting rid of runners full stop.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cramping isn't an injury, it's a conditioning issue. To quote Ian Healy, you don't get a runner for being a fat *******, nor should you get one for lacking the fitness required. Maybe it was an extreme level of fitness required in this instance, but one of the things that makes someone a exceptional champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    No and wouldn't be totally against getting rid of runners full stop.
    Nor substitute fieldsmen tbh. Allow them, but with the proviso that if you go off the field and are replaced with a sub, you can't bowl again that innings.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah. Cramping can be ****ing agony. It's unsporting to ask someone to keep running in extreme pain, and comments like "it's just because he's unfit!!" just seem mean-spirited to me. Having a runner puts you (and the guy at the other end) at a big disadvantage regarding running between the wickets anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I'm actually iffy on this. Fatigue is part of cricket, you score a lot of runs, and you'll get tired. How you handle it is part of the game. I can see both sides, but I wouldn't be against a law saying runners are only for injuries.

A fast bowler can't do anything if he is tired - it's just tough luck......
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Just goes on to show that Cricket Web has an 8:5 ratio of Brits:Proteas.............

I can't believe Strauss did that after being so generous to Anglo...........that was purely a pathetic thing to do on Strauss's end............

....STRAUSS HAS HARDLY PLAYED AN INNINGS LIKE THAT FOR ENGLAND HOW WOULD HE KNOW WHAT SMITH WAS FEELING AT THAT TIME!.....
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Just goes on to show that Cricket Web has an 8:5 ratio of Brits:Proteas.............

I can't believe Strauss did that after being so generous to Anglo...........that was purely a pathetic thing to do on Strauss's end............

....STRAUSS HAS HARDLY PLAYED AN INNINGS LIKE THAT FOR ENGLAND HOW WOULD HE KNOW WHAT SMITH WAS FEELING AT THAT TIME!.....
    Most of the people who have voted in the poll aren't English or South African, ftr. I wouldn't really call it pathetic myself, more just a bit unsportsmanlike. Without looking it up, doesn't the rule on runners say that the batsman has to have sustained the injury within the match, ie. not have had the injury when the game started? It's not like Smith came in to the game already cramping, it was something that started happening during the course of his innings. Is cramping necessarily related to fitness? Just from my experience, there were plenty of fit guys I've played soccer with who would cramp up, while more portly players would carry on no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

I'm definitely in the "No" category. At first I was umm-ing and ahh-ing, but then realised that there is no way, if I were in the bowling team, that I'd be happy to let someone get a runner for cramp.

Banned
    That was very unsporting of Strauss to deny Smith a runner, and it's surprising, since it came a couple of days after strauss did the sporting thing, and call back Angelo Mathews....

I was very disappointed in Strauss's actions. There is a lot of inconsistency with his action.

You can't have England benefitting from getting runners when their batsmen get cramp, and then they turn around and deny an opposing batsman that same privilege.

In 2002, Marcus Trescothick developed cramp in his innings, and was allowed a runner by the Aussie captain:

Australian openers flay England to set up comfortable win | England Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Before Strauss takes a preachy attitude over having runners for batsmen with cramps, he needs to be very critical of his own who do the same.

In the Lords final of the C&G a couple of years ago, Ian Bell developed cramp while batting with Nick Knight, and used a runner. Is Strauss now going to tell Bell that such behaviour is unacceptable?

Yeah gree with Andy's last sentence, have seen plenty of "fit" guys cramp up. Seems a bit harsh to deny him one, especially given it's a pretty big disadvantage runnings between wickets for the batting team as soon as the runner is out there (imo).

That being said, can't really speak from experience sooo....probably gives one a different perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

It shouldn't be Strauss' decicsion. Why aren't he laws clear on when a batsman can have a runner and when not?

well i have seen many batsmen were allowed runner
    but if u r not bias, then i think Strauss did the rite thing
    he wanted to win it, if Smith was allowed a runner like AB DEVILLIARS, that cheating for me
    which really showed he wanted to gain some advantage, by the way i'm not saying he wasn't cramping

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information