View Poll Results: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 47.14%
  • No

34 48.57%
  • andyc is my favourite CW moderator

3 4.29%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Banned
    I was just about to post that article....

What amuses me is that, once again, the ICC makes policy on the hoof!

It's a pity they didn't announce this before the tournament started. After all, earlier this month the umpires had no problem allowing Tendulkar to have a runner when he developed cramp in the ODI series in Sri Lanka. But, I suppose, it's better late than never. I hope this now means that there will be a lot more consistency in terms of decisions re cramp and runners in future.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Dont know about substitute fielders rulings, although in my view that is also happening far too much of late (and not just for toilet breaks and on field niggles and the like). But in that case, Shah was in the wrong and should have stayed on the field. I did notice too, that soon after that 'ruckus' Shah returned to the field and took a catch (Smiths?). So Flower probably, and quite wisely, sent him out. Regardless, it is another area of the game that needs clamping down.
    That's just it, it's the exact same law.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Fair enough, I thought they were separate laws and retract my stance on that bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    As a few others have mentioned, I think there should be more scrutiny of the umpires in this case. Nowhere in the laws that Sanz posted a few pages back does it say that the opposing captain has any say whatsoever in allowing a runner or a substitute fielder. Surely, if you're an international umpire, you shouldn't be just deferring anything you're not sure about on to the opposition captain?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    As a few others have mentioned, I think there should be more scrutiny of the umpires in this case. Nowhere in the laws that Sanz posted a few pages back does it say that the opposing captain has any say whatsoever in allowing a runner or a substitute fielder. Surely, if you're an international umpire, you shouldn't be just deferring anything you're not sure about on to the opposition captain?
    Agreed, it was incosistent and bad umpiring, especially at international level. But since Strauss was asked, he should have either taken the moral high ground and agreed or stated it wasn't his decision and walked away. The absolute last thing he should have done was emphatically shake his head and say no - that's where it became unsporting.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Agreed, it was incosistent and bad umpiring, especially at international level. But since Strauss was asked, he should have either taken the moral high ground and agreed or stated it wasn't his decision and walked away. The absolute last thing he should have done was emphatically shake his head and say no - that's where it became unsporting.
    How is it unsporting to deny someone a runner?

In ODIs particularly, if you're incapable of running then you're incapable of batting.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    How is it unsporting to deny someone a runner?

In ODIs particularly, if you're incapable of running then you're incapable of batting.
    Because he knew it wasn't his choice. And he was flaunting the exact same rule at the exact same moment, having Bresnan on for Shah. Unless Badfieldingitis has become a recognised illness?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Jesus, go have a cry or something

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    so will they remove anwars record now ??

try to solve the issue for ones and all rather than keeping the side of umpire or players if you have law that cannot be interpreted in 2 way there would not have been any confusion in the first place
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Because he knew it wasn't his choice. And he was flaunting the exact same rule at the exact same moment, having Bresnan on for Shah. Unless Badfieldingitis has become a recognised illness?
    Pretty sure when the umpires ask a captain, it becomes their choice.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Pretty sure when the umpires ask a captain, it becomes their choice.
    The opposing captain is meant to have no say in the decision.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    will like to see what Strauss does if Collingwood go on to score a big score and NZ ask for a runner in their inngs

Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    so will they remove anwars record now ??
    If the PCB can push for the Oval test to be declared abandoned retrospectively, surely the good men there can push for revoking its status second highest ODI score too, for the sake of consistency. Although I suspect its that bully BCCI using its money power to kill off any such attempts on the part of the PCB.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    Just for the record, I thought Strauss was extremely sporting when he called Angelo Mathews back the crease, and deserves all the kudos coming his way for upholding the spirit of the game in the match against Sri Lanka....

However, the opposite has happened here, and Strauss deserves any criticism coming his way. Especially since England batsmen have used runners for batsmen who've suffered from cramp this decade, including Trescothick and Bell, as far as I can remember. There is also a columnist on the BBC who recalls an ODI last year in India when Shah and Prior developed cramps and used Bell as a runner.

So, this sudden change of attitude by Strauss towards using a runner for cramp
    is a bit disingenuous, and it will be interesting to see how long he and his team maintain that stance....
    What the hell did any of the previous incidents have to do with Strauss?

You're bringing up the one-way hypocrisy from earlier in the thread. "Another English player used a runner for cramp once, when Strauss wasn't captain and had no say in the running of the team, therefore he's a hypocrite!"
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    What the hell did any of the previous incidents have to do with Strauss?

You're bringing up the one-way hypocrisy from earlier in the thread. "Another English player used a runner for cramp once, when Strauss wasn't captain and had no say in the running of the team, therefore he's a hypocrite!"
    Sorry, I wasn't clear there....

I meant that in his position as England captain, considering that English players had benefitted from runners for cramp. YOu can't have rules being changed according to who's captain of the England side. What happens if Strauss is injured and Cook becomes captain? Would the policy on runners for cramp change again?

But this is an academic debate only now, because the ICC have finally been forced to rule on this issue, and hopefully there should be more clarity on the issue from now on....

That said, this now opens a brand new can of worms. What if Smith retired injured, and wanted to return to bat at the fall of another wicket? Would Strauss have refused him the permission to return to the crease?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information