View Poll Results: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 47.14%
  • No

34 48.57%
  • andyc is my favourite CW moderator

3 4.29%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Meh.

You know "it's" can't be possessive right.
    Better?

Smith is fitter than he has been and as so many have said in this thread, cramp has very little to do with fitness.

If you want to be a grammar nazi then you should end your question, even if rhetorical, with a question mark.
    Last edited by Kyle; 28-09-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Pre-conditioning can help prevent most injuries. You can no more blame a lack of fitness for Smith getting cramp than you can blame a failure to warm up properly for someone pulling a hamstring, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I don't know the details of this, but I'd have thought you'd allow the batsman a runner.

In any case, it might have been in England's interests to allow Smith a runner. When runners come on, confusion and run-outs often seem to follow. And I'd have thought that it would be pretty easily foreseeable that it would be a strong motivation to Smith if he was refused a runner.

International Captain
    Whatever the rights and wrongs of this morally it was a pointless decision by Strauss that gained him nothing and will probably come back and bite him on the arse at sometime in the future.

Think Strauss was in the right on this one. I dont think runners should be allowed, except in the case of genuine on field injuries. A cramp does not qualify.

Its weird that it tends to happen in ODI cricket, perhaps because of the conditions? But I dont see batsmen being given a runner in tests just because they have been at the crease for 5 hours iin hot conditions, are cramping up, and are nearing a double hundred. I think the same should apply.

There is a difference between being sporting and giving the opposition a leg up. In this case it was the latter.
    Last edited by JBH001; 28-09-2009 at 04:11 PM.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Think Strauss was in the right on this one. I dont think runners should be allowed, except in the case of genuine on field injuries. A cramp does not qualify.

Its weird that it tends to happen in ODI cricket, perhaps because of the conditions? But I dont see batsmen being given a runner in tests just because they have been at the crease for 5 hours iin hot conditions, are cramping up, and are nearing a double hundred.I think the same should apply.

There is a difference between being sporting and giving the opposition a leg up. In this case it was the latter.
    So what about Bresnan on for Shah? Given the fact Shah had dropped a catch, was otherwise fielding poorly and showed no signs of injury.

Dont know about substitute fielders rulings, although in my view that is also happening far too much of late (and not just for toilet breaks and on field niggles and the like). But in that case, Shah was in the wrong and should have stayed on the field. I did notice too, that soon after that 'ruckus' Shah returned to the field and took a catch (Smiths?). So Flower probably, and quite wisely, sent him out. Regardless, it is another area of the game that needs clamping down.

U19 Vice-Captain
    What the hell, how has this thread reached 5 pages?
    Having a runner for cramps is the most ridiculous pile of BS I've heard all week

Cramps are short and sharp, and although they may reoccur, any team physio worth their salt would be able to sort it out and relieve any pain.
    They aren't an 'injury'.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    England in moralising-on-runners-while-themselves-spurning-spirit-of-the-game-with-sub-fielder shocker.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

No, he shouldn't. Cramp is NOT the same as an injury such as a hamstring tear or, in Ryder's case, an abductor muscle injury.

We played against a guy over a few seasons who had a long-standing muscle disorder/issue which caused him to cramp after batting for 30 overs. The first time we played him, we weren't aware, and allowed him a runner. But after we'd been advised of his issues during the next game that season, he wasn't getting a runner if it was the last thing we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Lol at people missing the facetitious Healy reference.
    You didn't really lol at that. Liar.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Should Strauss have allowed Smith a runner? Well yes, because of his philosophy: you can't be hypocritical and allow someone a runner based on what type of pain they are suffering from.

Should players be allowed runners? No, go back to the dressing room if you are not fit to run.
    100% agree with your post.

I do not believe runners are allowed. But if they are going to be allowed, I think Smith should have got one... and that decision should have been made by the umpires.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    No, he shouldn't. Cramp is NOT the same as an injury such as a hamstring tear or, in Ryder's case, an abductor muscle injury.

We played against a guy over a few seasons who had a long-standing muscle disorder/issue which caused him to cramp after batting for 30 overs. The first time we played him, we weren't aware, and allowed him a runner. But after we'd been advised of his issues during the next game that season, he wasn't getting a runner if it was the last thing we did.
    I'm interested in this, as many years ago a fellow played at our club for a team at a reasonable level who had polio as a child, and as such could hardly walk. He batted at 11 and stood at slip (when he fielded). I don't think he was ever refused a runner by another team.

I realise this is a very different situation to the one involving either Smith or the fella you're talking about, but I wonder whether it comes down to the level you're playing at when deciding these things.

From my understanding, the law is pretty clear. Smith should not have had a runner.

I think the umpires possibly forfeited some responsibility here and foisted it on Strauss, who was well within his rights to take the stance he did.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Nah, it'd be too open to abuse and the supersub in ODIs was a bust.

Runners less than perfect, but the only other option is the batsman sucking it up. Which there's an argument that they should anyway, bowlers don't get a runner if they're crocked in the course of a game.
    I'd love to see bowlers getting a runner though. Someome carrying Big Merv in so he could roll his arm over would have been hilarious to watch.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information