Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 47.14%
  • No

34 48.57%
  • andyc is my favourite CW moderator

3 4.29%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Smith have been allowed a runner?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    That was very unsporting of Strauss to deny Smith a runner, and it's surprising, since it came a couple of days after strauss did the sporting thing, and call back Angelo Mathews....

I was very disappointed in Strauss's actions. There is a lot of inconsistency with his action.

You can't have England benefitting from getting runners when their batsmen get cramp, and then they turn around and deny an opposing batsman that same privilege.

In 2002, Marcus Trescothick developed cramp in his innings, and was allowed a runner by the Aussie captain:

Australian openers flay England to set up comfortable win | England Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Before Strauss takes a preachy attitude over having runners for batsmen with cramps, he needs to be very critical of his own who do the same.

In the Lords final of the C&G a couple of years ago, Ian Bell developed cramp while batting with Nick Knight, and used a runner. Is Strauss now going to tell Bell that such behaviour is unacceptable?
    Was Strauss involved in either of those matches?

You know the answer, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Ah, the old one way hypocrisy.

Strauss knows a guy who took a runner in that situation in a game he didn't play in, and his ex-teammate took a runner in that situation before they were even teammates, and he should be bound by that precedent.

andyc a bit stiff here, TTYTT.

Still undecided, tbh, think Strauss probably applied the letter of the law rather than necessarily the spirit of the game; however, I am sure that it's the kind of call that I'd prefer to be in the remit of the umps and therefore have clear guidelines and/or legislation laid down.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    If it was anyone but Smith I'd say it was a pretty dog act. But in the case of Graeme Smith, I wouldn't let the smarmy **** have a runner if he was on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    If it was anyone but Smith I'd say it was a pretty dog act. But in the case of Graeme Smith, I wouldn't let the smarmy **** have a runner if he was on fire.
    Reckon he'd be moving pretty quickly then anyway, ITBT.

From what I read, the umps said they were inclined to refuse Smith the runner, but were happy to leave it up to Strauss. That's that's accurate, that's pretty ****ty from the umpires. It's their job to uphold the rules, not the opposition captain, whose got a massive conflict of interest. If I was a captain, and the umpires came to me in a big match and say "Fat Gray wants a runner, and by the rules we aren't sure he should be allowed one, but if you're willing to let the rules slide on this one, we'll let him do it", I'd be saying "no" as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Reckon he'd be moving pretty quickly then anyway, ITBT.
    Not if there was a pie on offer in his crease.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    No.

Ask Ian Healy why Smith shouldn't have been allowed a runner.

If Smith's cramping up because he spent 50 overs in the field, and then 40+ overs batting, frankly he's got issues with his conditioning that he needs to sort out.

If we are not going to allow runners then what's the point in having this option, this should be scrapped.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    No, I think Strauss did the right thing.

Pity it doesn't apply when Flintoff comes into the match injured and then spends time off the field between spells getting treated though. I wouldn't have been upset if Ponting had suggested some of the English bowlers either stay on the field or stay in the pavilion.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Was Strauss involved in either of those matches?

You know the answer, thanks
    Well, if the England team are conveniently changing their attitude towards requesting a runner for cramp, I hope Strauss conveys that decision to Bell before the tour of South Africa starts!

A runner would really only help Bell if he was also allowed to bat for him...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    From what I read, the umps said they were inclined to refuse Smith the runner, but were happy to leave it up to Strauss. That's that's accurate, that's pretty ****ty from the umpires. It's their job to uphold the rules, not the opposition captain, whose got a massive conflict of interest. If I was a captain, and the umpires came to me in a big match and say "Fat Gray wants a runner, and by the rules we aren't sure he should be allowed one, but if you're willing to let the rules slide on this one, we'll let him do it", I'd be saying "no" as well.
    Actually, it was Strauss himself who said that. We're yet to hear from the umpires themselves what they said on the matter....

There was meant to be an "if" as in "if that's accurate" in there. Looks like I typed "that that's accurate" instead. I blame global warming for my lapse.

Yeah, Strauss might have been making that up, although you'd think that would be a risky thing to do given there's nothing stopping the umpires coming out and contradicting you if you simply make up things they've supposedly said. Given that, I guess there was some kind of conversation pretty close to what Strauss is describing. It's not like ICC umpires making stuff up on the fly and getting it wrong is unknown.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information